Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #1

Metal or fiberglass

I know this is a huge topic but I am upgrading from a pop-up to a TT and I hear a lot about both. I live in Nebraska so hail does happen here. Thanks for the help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are a perfectionist consider metal. Fiberglass sided trailers always eventually reveal the seams and tend to bubble here and there. I have a fiberglass sided trailer that is brand new, pisses me off every time I look at it.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
If you are a perfectionist consider metal. Fiberglass sided trailers always eventually reveal the seams and tend to bubble here and there. I have a fiberglass sided trailer that is brand new, pisses me off every time I look at it.
Gosh... I thought Wind River trailers were pretty high on my list... Sorry you are having problems already... To the OP,, the fiberglass on our 95 class A still looks like new.. Personally I like the smooth look of the fiberglass,, Guess like anything it's a crap shoot... Read these forums to get more info on both... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Oh ya,,, WELCOME to this great site Gunner1 !!!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #5

Make sure your ins is good if you buy an metal trailer in hail country. We don't get the heavy duty hail storms here in Oregon, but the last one I was in was down right nasty. Golf ball size hail. Busted out all 3 vent covers and dented the hood and roof of my 5 day old 12 Ram 2500. Ouch. If I would've had a metal sided trailer I suppose one side and front would've had to be replaced. No damage to the front or sides of our fiberglass TT.

Fiberglass trailers can have imperfections, just depends on how much money you spend. The $100,000 trailers are way nicer than the $30-60,000 ones. We have some ripples from the framing that are present in ours. I don't mind as you only see them in the right light.

Metal sided trailers will show every ding and scratch much more easily. The more money you spend the less chance you'll find a metal sided trailer. There's a certain price point that metal trailer don't fit in. You won't find metal sided trailers in the upper price range. They're usually the economy line. JMO but floor plan, holding tank size, payload capacity and interior fit and finish are way more important than what the outside is made of. I would settle for a metal sided trailer to give up the other needs I wanted.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The nice thing about trailers, compared to say a Class A DP, is the cost.. You will likely trade at least once within the next 10 years.

Get the one with the layout you like the best,,, If the siding is not to your liking,,, make that 5 years instead of 10.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

We have a 2000 , still looks great, no fading, graphics still good, and i know it will not delaminate !!!
Jim & Pat
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Cost of metal is an advantage, so is ease of finding repair expertise.

Anyone done any weight comparisons? Two similar length/comparably equipped trailers, one glass the other metal-do they weigh the same?
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Cost of metal is an advantage, so is ease of finding repair expertise.

Anyone done any weight comparisons? Two similar length/comparably equipped trailers, one glass the other metal-do they weigh the same?
I would have to say the fiberglass is heavier , but I'm no expert....
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fiberglass easier to clean
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

You have to compare apples to apples or so when looking at FG to metal sided. You can only get metal sided TT's up to a certain price point. After that it's all FG. And then you can take it a step further with more and nicer amenities. If you're just looking at low priced metal sided TT's then as far as low priced FG TT's goes you'll get a cheaper version. IMO the only advantage to a metal sided TT is price. Selection will be less as some companies don't make them. They're the dinosaurs of the RV world. Nothing wrong with buying cheap, since most of the add on's are the same, i.e fridge, stove, beds, windows ,flooring, etc. But there will be a certain price point where better quality will start to show in FG TT's. Go to any of the popular TT sites and look at their lines. The metal sided units are their economy line, once you get into FG you get up graded amenities. It's really hard to compare side by side between the two. Delam is really a thing of the past with most new units. Outback had some issues but for the most part the FG process has been improved on. You also get better insulation in a FG TT. You cab only get thin FG hung ins in a metal sided TT.

There's always going to be those who won't accept change and will cling to the past. FG TT's are the future. Try and find a true 4 season metal sided TT. You may find one. But look around at the top quality TT's like Arctic Fox, Lance, Blackstone, Timberidge, Creekside ,they're all aluminum framed with FG walls. That says enough right there. IMO they both get the job done but FG has more benefits that out weigh the metal sided ones.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #12

There are also many different qualities of fiberglass. There is a huge difference between cheap fiberglass and really nice gelcoat fiberglass like you find on boats and some trailers. This difference is not always dependent upon price. A good gel coat fiberglass will certainly look new the longest, and be the easiest to keep clean. But it will need a coat of wax at least once or twice a year... an easy job.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help. I know this is a huge topic on all the message boards. WE have a coleman pop-up right now and have had it for about 4 years and have camped all over Nebraska and use it couple times a month besides vacations. I am looking at the Premier with outdoor kitchen. I do all of my cooking on dutch oven and grilling. Good camper/bad what are your thought. Anyone have a outdoor kitchen?

Here's another question plastic roof or rubber?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I know this is a huge topic on all the message boards. WE have a coleman pop-up right now and have had it for about 4 years and have camped all over Nebraska and use it couple times a month besides vacations. I am looking at the Premier with outdoor kitchen. I do all of my cooking on dutch oven and grilling. Good camper/bad what are your thought. Anyone have a outdoor kitchen?

Here's another question plastic roof or rubber?
Fiberslass roof,,, 20 yrs old and no probs... BUT do TT come with them ????? Honest question.... Good question Gunner,,,