Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

metal vs. fiberglass siding

Can someone give me the pros and cons of metal vs. fiberglass siding? A dealer told me they were getting away from fiberglass due to leaking problems; anything to this? From what I think I know the metal siding models have wood frames and the fiberglass has metal frames; is this correct?
Thanks,
Eddie
edwardo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Most of the new TT i have seen are fiberglass with either a smooth sides or ribbed. Both can have wood or aluminium frames all depends on the weight aluminium frames make the trailer lighter. as for leaks both the should be the same they leak when the seals crack so leaks should be limited to to the roof seams and window. You pay the money and take your chances. Good luck with your discussion do research on the dealer as these are the key players for service and repair. if find a good dealer you will get good service which is more important than a good sales guy.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Dealer told me that insurance rates are cheaper for fiberglass due to hail resistance. Aluminum dents with hail that will bounce off of fiberglass. But when the hail is big enough to break the fiberglass... all bets are off...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
Can someone give me the pros and cons of metal vs. fiberglass siding?
Fiberglass gel-coat looks better, is easier to wash and clean up, and is heavier and more expensive. Aluminum is lighter, doesn't look as good to most eyes, and dents easily, but costs less. Way back in 2001 model year, my 5er had aluminum siding standard and fiberglass as an extra-cost option. I barely remember that sticker, but I think the fiberglass option listed for about $1000.

Quote:
A dealer told me they were getting away from fiberglass due to leaking problems; anything to this?
No. In fact my new ecomomy-priced 2012 TT has fiberglass gel-coat front and rear with aluminum sides. The fiberglass front resists the bugs and bird hits better, and is much easier to clean up the bug juice after a trip. One reason they used fiberglass for the sloped front is because it is less likely to leak between the seams of the aluminum siding. I don't expect any leaking problems between the seams on the sides, or any leaks at all assuming the factory properly sealed between the roof and the sides.

In about 12 years and over 100,000 towing miles, my 5er with fiberglass siding didn't leak a drop. Darling Daughter is still living in it and reports no problems.

Dealers want to sell what they have in stock. Perhaps your dealer was overloaded with aluminum skins, and the better fiberglass units were in short supply?

Quote:
From what I think I know the metal siding models have wood frames and the fiberglass has metal frames; is this correct?
No. The siding is not related to the frame construction, although the more expensive fiberglass skin is more likely to be on the more expensive aluminum frames. And then some are like mine = fiberglass front and rear caps with aluminum on the sides. And some are like my previous 5er = mostly wood frame, but alumium framing around the doors and windows, with standard aluminum siding but optional fiberglass siding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120317_IMG_0170.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	22559  
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
Can someone give me the pros and cons of metal vs. fiberglass siding? A dealer told me they were getting away from fiberglass due to leaking problems; anything to this? From what I think I know the metal siding models have wood frames and the fiberglass has metal frames; is this correct?
Thanks,
Eddie
My wife and I recently (February) bought our first travel trailer (Gulfstream Innsbruck 269BHL).

When we were shopping at the RV show, many different RV dealers explained that the metal siding was easier to repair or correct if there were problems. You only have to take off and replace pieces of metal if they should need repair.

Unfortunately on my second outing with the trailer, I scraped the side of my trailer, and had to have it repaired. One piece of metal siding was replaced and the trailer looks good as new. (It was a very minor scrape).

I was told while shopping for trailers, that should something hit or mess up a fiberglass siding, there was no good way to repair it, and they would be likely to have problems with any repair. Since we don't have one, I can't attest to that one way or the other, but intuitively it makes sense to me.

-Tom-
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's all what you can afford. I have had both aluminum and fiber-glassed sided RVs. I would never go back to the aluminum. It can corrode as well as dent and tear. I would definitely try to stay away from a wood frame in the walls. The best setup is aluminum framed walls and fiberglass sidewalls. Fiberglass can look good even without full body paint although the tape stripes do tend to curl after time.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

Our's is not really fiberglass,like the Bolers or Bigfoots,rather a lamination, better to call it a hardside. On our Outdoor RV Creekside,the walls are bonded into one piece making for a very strong side wall. This I think is the main advantage,strength.
Downwindtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Having had a metal sided trailer with wood frame, I can say from experience that the wood structure will get wet and rot. Yes, the metal siding can be removed and wood replaced. I had to do it. I guess some would argue the advantages of wood, but the fact is wood rots. AND trailers wiggle and move around so much on the road that the joints where the ribbed metal siding meets smooth surfaces like windows, doors, and the outside corners will leak. You basically have to re-caulk after every trip. to be sure no leaks have opened up. A smooth sided trailer is much better at resisting leaks but even they need attention after use. Its just that the leaks will be fewer and aluminum will not rot. Corrode maybe but hay, got to have something to worry about. Just inspect all joints often and if necessary, be guilty of over caulking rather than having to replace rotted wood.
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote