Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

We have a very nice 32' MH, it is an 04 with only 14K on it. We both still work fulltime, and will not be able to be fulltimers for quite awhile yet.

Hence, we do not use our MH as often as we would like, still paying on it but have aton of equity built in.

Wondering from those that have had both, pros/cons to maybe trading in MH for TT. Equals less $$ on payment, and maybe I would not feel so guilty that we do not use as much as payment warrant! Thanks Guys

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

We have a very nice 32' MH, it is an 04 with only 14K on it. We both still work fulltime, and will not be able to be fulltimers for quite awhile yet.

Hence, we do not use our MH as often as we would like, still paying on it but have aton of equity built in.

Wondering from those that have had both, pros/cons to maybe trading in MH for TT. Equals less $$ on payment, and maybe I would not feel so guilty that we do not use as much as payment warrant! Thanks Guys

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Depends. If it is a diesel, those don't tolerate sitting idle as well as a gas rig or a truck which is driven 'often'.

I've had both, and the motor home is much more conveniant to travel in. Don't have to stop when the passanger needs to use the bathroom, easier to set up due to built in leveling and all the hookups inside compartments. More comfortable drivers seat (for tall people, anyway). Don't need to wait for it to warm up or cool down when you want to use it.

Of course, the motorhome becomes less desirable the longer you stay any place. Most importantly, you can't really use it to get around while camping, so need to tow another vehicle or rent a vehicle. Also, the floorplans are constrained by it also being a vehicle, with better floorplans available in trailers.

So the advantages of the trailer are that once it is set up it can be more livable, for long term stays it doesn't risk the drive train developing problems, it is easier to maintain the drive train (can go most anyplace rather than places which specialize in motorhomes), and if you have a problem with the drive train you can still live in the trailer. Also, trailers (fifth wheels at least) often have better storage than a motorhome.

Insurance and registration on the trailer would probably be less.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

For us this is a question that can be answered both ways depending on use and objectives. Over the 50 years we have been camping and RVing we have had 3 5th wheels and 4 motorhomes. This past Sept we traded a 2004 36ft diesel and tow car for a 33 ft 5th wheel and pickup.

Would agree with most of the comments made by John66. We do not see a great difference in set up when traveling since the bother of removing a tow vehicle to move around or if you need to back in a site adds to the time and hassle. Often when traveling we do not bother to unhook for the evening stop.

In our opinion the feel of open and usable space is greater in the 5th wheel.

We have also found our fuel mileage to improve with the 5th wheel. We now get about 11.5 mpg rather that the 9-9.5 with the motorhome.

We found a significant savings in insurance since we traded the MH and tow vehicle for the truck and 5th wheel. Our yearly premium has dropped about $1000.00. There also was a drop in license/registration fees.

One of the reasons we changed was due to the fact we will not use the unit as much in the next few years as we did in the past so the cost of being idle is much less.

We have enjoyed both and find advantages to both . So once again it becomes what suits your needs better.

Good luck in your deliberations.

Dean
Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #5

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ours is a gas Class C. Pretty fancy model, and really is nice. It gets 7mpg when we are towing, which we do all the time so we have a vehicle to get around in or as my husband says, in case the MH should break down enroute, then we are not stranded. But it very large otw dolly to tow both car and golf cart, and we are 59' front to back with it on and it is a real pain to load and unload vehicle.

I would love a 5th wheel, husband would not. Also, just bought a new Avalanche, and they are not the truck to have for towing a 5th wheel.

One of my concerns (as I am not a great rider, much better as driver , just ask me) is is there alot of "sway" with a TT. I will say with our MH you get very very little sway when you are buzzed by the tractor trailers going 90+ or driving in stiff winds.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #6

The major 'difficulty' in setting up a trailer is leveling it. You have to build a little 'hill' on the low side (wood or plastic blocks usually) and then pull the wheels up on that hill. Also, on my trailer, all the connections were on the outside of the trailer, so all the utility connections had to be assembled and disassembled each time. Not a deal breaker, but with the motorhome, all I do is pull out a cord or hose and hook it up. And tear down is just returning the connection to its compartment (unless an extension of some kind was required)
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #7

Unless properly setup yes, you can encounter considerable sway with a TT. I have never experienced any sort of sway with my fifth wheel though. Even when pulling it with a very marginal truck it went straight down the road. Had one MH and found out the hard way that unless we have a toad, or spend a LOT of time behind the wheel for my lifestyle a MH was about the worst. Once you get a couple of times under your belt, setup and take down are relatively simple and we can be ready to travel in a short time.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #8

I would have loved a 5th wheel, alas, we just purchased our Avalanche last month, and cannot afford to trade it in on something big enough to pull a 5th with!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #9

There are a couple of hitches out there which claim to make a travel trailer pull as well as a fifth wheel. PullRite is one, and I think Hensley is another, and there is a third one which just came out recently.

The Pullrite moves the pivot point from the bumper to the rear axel, just like the fifth wheel hitch. I don't know how the others work.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #10

We went for a TT for a few reasons:

We did not like the idea of maintaining yet another engine. Also would've had to tow or rent a car...or worse yet, drive the MH for daytrips. Not so bad with a Class B, but an inconvenience finding a place to park an A or C. Lastly, if your MH breaks down during a trip, you lose your place to sleep while it's in for repairs.

Cheaper insurance, cheaper to license...we'll stick with a tow-behind RV.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #11

Well we did sell the MH this past weekend
It was a tough decision, but in the end we feel it was the right one. Luckily, we were able to sell for what we owed.

I never realized just how much "suff" one can accumulate in a motorhome...ggeeezzz... took all day to clean it out.

Sell the tow dolly and golf cart and will be good to go.

We will now be on the hunt for a nice used TT, pay cash, and I will not feel so bad when we do not use it as often as I would like...at least it will not be sitting there while I am making the "2nd mortgage" payments on it!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wishin2BFulltimers:
I will not feel so bad when we do not use it as often as I would like...at least it will not be sitting there while I am making the "2nd mortgage" payments on it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In concept, it's really no different than making payments on a vacation home somewhere near a lake. Of course, the vacation home will appreciate in value while the TT drastically depreciates.

I tend to look at it as having a vacation home we can take and park anywhere. Not a balanced trade-off, but one I'm willing to live with.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #13

why don't you get a TH so that way you don't have to sell the golf cart if you still use it I know with the price of gas now a days every time we go I wish we had a golf cart so we didn't have to drive the truck around to the camp store, get firewood or to just look around the park (you know go find the kids) I have some problems with my legs and can walk very far this is just my opinion take it as you wish