Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Mice

Had my trailer going on 4 yrs, stored outside in a covered stall. Never had any vermin or ant issues. We camp 1.6x/mo avg. We are meticulous about cleaning crumbs and removing all food when it goes back to storage.

Last two weeks have been seeing mouse residue... Last week put tomcat mouse bait (green blocks) inside & outside trailer, they are eating it, still getting residue.

There have been times when the dogs knock their food in the heat registers, I clean them occasionally.

What are your secrets to get rid of these pests?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
They don't like Peppermint Oil , put it on cotton ball and place where they have been and they will leave.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

We use mouse away and have had good luck with it. Also use specifically Stash brand chai spice teabags by the heater vents and shakeaway granules around the perimeter, tires, tongue jack and stabilizers. Also use the glue traps. Maybe a bit overkill but our trailer is on our property in the woods
Dennis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

I'd watch CaddyShack, heck a mouse is just a small Ground Hog.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

You might want to get some magnetic vent covers. They're great for preventing dog food, crumbs, coins from dropping into the vents.

When you need to fire up the furnace, they just slide right off.

We've had success with Fresh Cab. Our trailer is stored on our seasonal site out in the elements. Haven't had a mouse yet. Knock on wood!
monica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

We use Irish Spring soap. When we store for the winter we just place the bars of soap in the cabinets and sporadically around the coach. Never had a problem with mice and the coach smells so manly!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
bjo

Fresh Cab.. and I think you can do a search on FB "FRESH CAB" I DID and to
me it's the best. I had mice in my NEW MH and boy was I upset and got this
FRESH CAB. And as of now no mice. and I live on a a farm and my MH is under
a poll barn . I had done other stuff and it did not wk like this stuff does
Good luck I hate mice...
BJ
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

I use Fresh Cab as well. Had 1 mouse after our first season. Crawled under camper and sealed every crack, hole I could find with the main wiring harness from the battery being the largest opening I found. Since then no more problems. I do put glue traps around just in case. I don't like using the poison because I don't want them to die somewhere I can't find it and make the camper smell for weeks. I also got some small mason jars filled with moth balls. I drilled holes in the lids and place them around the outside of the camper
Matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fresh Cab for me too. Use no poisons unless you want to spend half the summer trying to air-out the camper.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #10

ahhh!!!, Went to the storage facility and found that not only did someone break in ( may have mentioned this in another post ) but also that there are rat baits around mine and other peoples trailers. I have yet to see any but I am now terrified that I will find droppings in the future if not a weary traveler hiding amongst my luggage.....

If I only had room at home to park it!!
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I buy concentrated peppermint oil, mix it in a small hand-held garden sprayer with some water, pump it up, and spray the interior perimeter of my storage garage all around the RV every time I check on it. I also install little pads with the stuff in my vulnerable basement bins. The up-side... RV always smells minty when we start a trip! No mice so far...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Products on order!
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't have a tomcat, Tinker is a girl, she is in the MH about 10-15 weeks a year. We don't have mice when she is in residence or the MH is in storage.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bounce Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Had my trailer going on 4 yrs, stored outside in a covered stall. Never had any vermin or ant issues. We camp 1.6x/mo avg. We are meticulous about cleaning crumbs and removing all food when it goes back to storage.

Last two weeks have been seeing mouse residue... Last week put tomcat mouse bait (green blocks) inside & outside trailer, they are eating it, still getting residue.

There have been times when the dogs knock their food in the heat registers, I clean them occasionally.

What are your secrets to get rid of these pests?

When we pickup our coach. The prep guy told us that the best way to keep spiders and mice out of the coach was to put bounce sheet in every drawer, cabinet and storage compartment. So far it is working. Any other thoughts? (hope i don't regret asking)
snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote