Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #1

Hi,
Any Advice for keeping mice and other rodents out of a Travel Trailer during winter storage?
I'm a new woman to all of this, I'm looking to learn a whole lot. My travel trailer is a 26' Springdale Keystone 2006. I bought the trailer for a great price because it had monor hail damage. I'm happy to join this forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #2

Hi,
Any Advice for keeping mice and other rodents out of a Travel Trailer during winter storage?
I'm a new woman to all of this, I'm looking to learn a whole lot. My travel trailer is a 26' Springdale Keystone 2006. I bought the trailer for a great price because it had monor hail damage. I'm happy to join this forum.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #3

Welcome. My advice about keeping mice out is first, don't leave them anything to get in there after. no food, no bedding, etc. Secondly, be choosy where you park. A wet old barn and you can expect them. Third, seal all openings. It helps with someone on the outside shining a light while someone else looks for light on the inside. Seal with bronze wool and/or caulk.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #4

Another tip I read about was use dry sheets in compartments to keep the critters out. They don't like the smell. Works for wasps too.

Also try and seal up any acces points usualy underneath around the pluming.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use hartz flea collar pieces cut em up and lay them in areas the mice might try to enter

on a lighter note
thursday i bought a new chainsaw at hd.
put it and the cardboard box in the back of the truck
got to the rv, and slide it into the basement. geuss what ran out when i set it down....
about a dozen large roaches, i thought i killed em all but.....
we spent all day yesterday moving stuff spraying corners and vacumming real good, all becuase i missed one and he decided to say HOWDY to DW whilst she was getting a shirt from the closet
we have a zero bug allowed policy, we are to close to max wt. already no freeloaders allowed
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had good luck against chipmunks by sprinkling mothballs liberally on the ground underneath and dryer sheets in all drawers, behind couch and everywhere else. Mothballs if used in storage bays should be placed on paper plates or saucers so they can be found and removed easily and be prepared for the odor to linger a day or two after they are removed in the spring. Mothball odor sure beats the mess those little critters can leave behind.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #7

Just-in-case mice/rats/etc do get in your RV; be nice, leave them something to eat--mice/rat poison placed where they normally run, along walls, in closets and under cabinets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Just-in-case mice/rats/etc do get in your RV; be nice, leave them something to eat--mice/rat poison placed where they normally run, along walls, in closets and under cabinets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And hope they find their water outside of the RV!