Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Mildew smell in RV

Hi Guys:

Lately we've noticed a strong mildew smell in the bathroom after taking a shower. We've searched everywhere but can't pinpoint what's causing it.

We have a 2011 FR Windjammer.

I've searched outside for leaks too but nothing.

Has anyone had this problem?
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Lori, Mildew smell, not good! To check for plumbing leaks, disconnect from city water, turn on water pump, make sure all faucets, ice maker are off. the pump should not run if all fixtures are off. Might take some time (even overnight) for the pump to cycle if leak is small. One other thought-leaky toilet. If you have a Dometic 310 toilet, it may leak between the china bowl and plastic pedestal. You'll see some water on the floor when you move the trailer from campground to next campground. Not really a mildew smell, if you get my drift. Dometic had a run of 'leaky' toilets around that time (2010-2011). I called Dometic and they paid for a new toilet and admitted they had a batch of 'leakers'. You will need the serial # of your toilet to check.
Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If it is only after taking a shower, I would be accessing the area for the p trap on the shower and putting newspaper under it to see if you have a small leak there. Often times the p trap only leaks when you are standing on the shower pan.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Look for where your shower enclosure is draining. Once I was messing with the front/back leveling of the camper so that the AC would drain to the rear. I solved that problem easily.

Next time I took a shower I happened to be in the cabinet adjacent to the shower and noticed the floor was soaked. Further investigation showed the rear shower wall was draining down normally but instead of going into the tub it was running away from the tub and out into the cabinet.

I releveled the trailer and the water drained as designed back into the tub. I can live with the AC draining on the front of the camper vs the rear...
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell