Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Mobile Hotspot

Has anyone got a recommendation for the best carrier for a mobile hotspot? On our recent trip, our iPhones got a signal through Sprint, but our iPads didn't through Verizon. Is one carrier considered to be best in the remote, wooded areas that are typical for campgrounds?
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
Has anyone got a recommendation for the best carrier for a mobile hotspot? On our recent trip, our iPhones got a signal through Sprint, but our iPads didn't through Verizon. Is one carrier considered to be best in the remote, wooded areas that are typical for campgrounds?

For what it's worth. We have Telus mobility in BC. When we went to the Outdoors RV rally this year in Oregon we purchased a US cell package through Telus and they used AT&T as their partner company. The service was hit and miss and sporadic. Most folks who we talked to used Verizon in the same camping area and they had great reception and coverage.
IMHO Verizon would be my choice.
Hope this helps.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
We took a 5000 mile trip out west this past May. We got a signal everywhere but in the National Parks with Millenicom which uses Verizon towers. It's something like $80 for 20 Gigs a month. DH pays the bills so I'm not sure down to the penny.

Verizon towers are everywhere.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

We have found that no carrier is everywhere and in some areas there may only be one. We have found that to be true in situations where only AT&T was available and others with only Verizon. Generally, those two have the best coverage, but last summer on the Oregon coast we spent time in a state park campground that had no cell coverage at all, by any carrier. The more mountainous and area is, the more difficult it is for the providers to cover everywhere. In more flat areas, just about everyone is available.

The only internet that is available everywhere is satellite.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like no single carrier will provide service in all scenarios. I was afraid that was the case.
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have Verizon hit and misss and seems to miss when you need it the most. when we travel I get the husband to stop in a city and use the hot spot to copy and paste directions, address, or phone numbers ,down on a electronic post it note that I can access without the internet.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

We have found that Verizon is the best and most consistent provider - this is even more so once you get west of the Mississippi
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Verizon and AT&T are the top carriers. I've found fewer places Verizon didn't work but there will always be that one remote location where one carrier will work and the other will not. If you your in a weak area you might be able to make a call but your Internet connection may be slow or not work at all. I use a Ipad mini on Verizon and it has hotspot capability so I can use my laptop or other devices through it.
Matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Millenicom MiFi device / service which uses Verizon towers has done well for us. Phones are on AT&T. Often the phones are poor to no signal whereas the MiFi works well. An external antenna on the MiFi is a good thing to have to improve performance. But as it gets have commented there will always be coverage gaps for any carrier.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

I would suggest getting two items, a cell booster and a wifi repeater. Of course if you can afford them as they are a bit pricey.... These work GREAT for me!
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We also use Millenicom MIFI which for the most part has worked very well for us.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #12

I am in canada and seen bell mobility has a Mifi system and wondered if it work better than using my cell phone as a mobile hot spot. So what you are saying is it does work better than I may try it out.

Thanks.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote