Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Modifying U shaped Dinette

One of the things I didn't like about our KZ Sportsmen Showstopper was the U shaped dinette in the slide-out. For me, trying to seat four people in the dinette for a meal was inconvenient and uncomfortable. In addition, the table top was small (26" x 27").

Upon looking at the design of the dinette closer, I discovered that if I removed the seat cushion, the panel underneath (under the window) and the vertical partition between the two sides, I would then be able to install a larger table.
Fortunately, the floor covering, side wall covering and the panels for the two side benches extended under the old seat. Therefore, I decided would able to install a second table leg and a larger table top with minimal effort.
It turned out that the most difficult part was finding or making a table top that was the correct size. I needed a table top that was exactly 26" wide (so i would work when I wanted to convert the dinette into a bed), 3/4 " thick and approximately 42" - 45" deep.
Initially I did not find a table top that exactly fit my requirements, So I considered ordering a custom made top (very expensive), buy a table top that was oversize and modify it to my dimensions (also expensive and final quality questionable) or make a top myself.
I decide to do one final internet search and happened to come across a site that had a table top that was the correct size (26" x 43" x 3/4" thick) and the price was reasonable. I ordered a table, which included a table leg and upper/lower fittings (it turned out leg that came with the top was too short for my application so I had to buy a longer leg). Total cost of the conversion was less than $125.

I think it turned out great. The only thing I lost was the small amount of storage that was under the seat by the window and I didn't use it anyway because it was so inaccessible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

It looks great.
Which website had that size top?

WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
43" Wide Dinette Table Kit - Solid Wood Cognac Finish
They may have other finishes available.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

Looks great.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

Looks great. The only concern I would have is when you convert this to a bed. The grain direction of the wood might lead to it splitting if someone heavy sat in the middle. Plywood doesn't have this problem since each layer of wood is laid cross grain of the previous layer. Just something to consider if you decide to use this as a bed.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Nice job. Better than new.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Thanks for the comment.
I thought of that before I did it.
However there are cross braces on the underside of the table that should help. When converted into a bed, it's really only suitable for a small person or a child.