Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Moisture on inside windows?

Spent our first night breaking in our new RV, had to run the heat b/c it got chilly overnight. This am all the windows were wet. Is this because of the propane heat, or what?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Single pane glass. Standard rules of condensation. Cold outside, warm inside. Condensation forms on the warm side

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek
Spent our first night breaking in our new RV, had to run the heat b/c it got chilly overnight. This am all the windows were wet. Is this because of the propane heat, or what?
It's because there was moisture inside with no way to escape. All rv's get moisture from everything we do. The trick is to leave a window or roof vent cracked a little. We also squeegee off our shower enclosure to reduce the moisture inside.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513
Single pane glass. Standard rules of condensation. Cold outside, warm inside. Condensation forms on the warm side
It happens with dual pane also. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks, so just leave maybe the bathroom vent open? On that same note, can I leave a window open while pulling the TT?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks, so just leave maybe the bathroom vent open? On that same note, can I leave a window open while pulling the TT?
I wouldn't but I suppose you can.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
One time DW was cooking soup on a cold wintery afternoon, it was raining all day, and the moisture inside got so bad it condensed on everything, including the top of all the walls, mirrors and windows. Really freaked us out. When we figured out the reason, we knew to open a fan whenever water simmers on the stovetop. Just one aspect of the problem...
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
A better idea is to install vent covers. With the covers installed, you can drive down the road with your vents open. Not only does this help prevent moisture but if you travel on a really warm day, your RV won't be stifling hot when you stop.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

Most trailers are insulated decently and if you don't have some way for moisture to escape, the condensation issue will arise. Vent covers are a great solution so you can always have the vents open without fear of rain. Any time you are doing high moisture activities (Showers, cooking inside, sleeping) you should make sure you have some ventilation to remove the moisture. Yes, I said sleeping. You exhale quite a bit of moisture when sleeping and if you have a group in a enclosed camper, it can cause the condensation. Just crack a vent or window or two and you should have no problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #10

We have a vent cover over the ceiling vent but find too much heat escapes there as heat rises. When the heat is on we have a window cracked. That helps a lot with condensation.

When traveling we leave that vent cracked. I don't leave windows cracked as I don't want road dust and dirt getting in the RV.

What campground did you go to?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr
We have a vent cover over the ceiling vent but find too much heat escapes there as heat rises. When the heat is on we have a window cracked. That helps a lot with condensation.

When traveling we leave that vent cracked. I don't leave windows cracked as I don't want road dust and dirt getting in the RV.

What campground did you go to?
Finally got away for our first trip. Stayed close to home and visited The Cedars of Lebanon state park. Really liked it, but the weekend was too short!