Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Molded fiberglass fifth wheel trailers

I'm rapidly approaching retirement and we plan to chuck the house, move to our golf community condo and buy a trailer to explore some. Our primary interest is the states along the Rocky Mountains. I have a hemi powered 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 that has no trouble hauling small trailers. I'm considering a molded fiberglass fifth wheel trailer like an Escape 5.0 TA or the Scamp 19' model. I like the idea of the lighter trailer and good pull of the fifth wheel. I'd prefer to have no slides and dual axles. It would just be two people traveling.
Are there other trailers that I should consider? Does anyone have experience with this type of trailer? Do you have thoughts on the quality of this type of trailer?
Thanks for your considerations.
HippyHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #2

When I was researching trailer I really liked the Escape for a lot of reasons. Quality, being able to customize it , easy to tow ,seems to be a good company,small but good. The problem for me was size ,they are small compared to most trailers. I don't want a wet bath and I don't think I could fit comfortably in one . It is all in what you want and a lot of people that have them love them.
good luck in the hunt.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj616 View Post
When I was researching trailer I really liked the Escape for a lot of reasons. Quality, being able to customize it , easy to tow ,seems to be a good company,small but good. The problem for me was size ,they are small compared to most trailers. I don't want a wet bath and I don't think I could fit comfortably in one . It is all in what you want and a lot of people that have them love them.

good luck in the hunt.

Thanks for your thoughts. The wet shower is not my wife's favorite either. I will probably use an outdoor shower more frequently. She may have to adapt and we're both small people so the size isn't an issue.

I've also thought about Bigfoot Trailers. Not sure if they currently make fifth wheels. My main concerns are weight, quality and tow ability. I plan on adding solar so we can take advantage of free camping.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Wondering if there are condensation issues inside this type of construction in cooler areas. Does this type have insulation?
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #5

YESSSSS. Wet worlds create indoor rainstorms. I live in the PACNW and a winter at the beach keft me with rust streaks runding down the walls from all metal fixtures, brackets, screws and so forth. On top of that the refrigerator cap blew off in a gale and soaked my carpet. I just spent the better part of a week tearing up. Story and scrubbing walls to clear rust and powdery mold. Arrrggghhh. It looks like the interior will have to be painted and I'm replacing carpet with vynal. The water heater is the next adventure. Beware condensation, the bane of beach storage without heat in the winter
Cricket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 AM   #6

I assume(you know what that can mean) they are pretty well insulated . They are built in Canada and as far as I know ,it stays cold up there. When I was researching I went to a few forums that talk about the fiberglass campers and don't remember condensation being talked about , and you know how people are,if there is a problem you will hear about it.
As far as the original poster goes ,if you don't mind the size , the Escape might be just what you are looking for .
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj616 View Post
I assume(you know what that can mean) they are pretty well insulated . They are built in Canada and as far as I know ,it stays cold up there. When I was researching I went to a few forums that talk about the fiberglass campers and don't remember condensation being talked about , and you know how people are,if there is a problem you will hear about it.

As far as the original poster goes ,if you don't mind the size , the Escape might be just what you are looking for .

I appreciate the input but is anyone familiar with the quality of these trailers?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

You may want to go to the Escape trailer forum . They are a friendly and active bunch , who will be glad to answer any questions. I think that is where a lot of the owners hang out.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #9

Not a fifth wheel, but we owned a Bigfoot fiberglass TT. They are tight and you do have to manage interior moisture. The fantastic fan becomes your friend. Bigfoot does not recommend their units for full timing due to moisture. They do heat up and cool down fast which is a plus. The clamshell construction technique can't be beat for quality and longevity. I regret the day I sold my Bigfoot and should I want to downsize a fiberglass trailer would again be on my driveway. The narrow width of the Escape and the wet bath would be deal killers for us. Also, we are at the age where a walk around bed is important.

One other note comparing the fiberglass 5th wheels to a bumper tow. With the 5er you will lose truck bed storage plus they have no basement storage. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Bigfoots are 8'-4" wide compared to 7'+ for an Escape. The one pictured in my avatar is a 25ft. rear queen which towed loaded at 6,000#.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
While I don't have a 5th wheel, I traveled over 86K miles over the last 5 years towing an Escape 17B. Just sold it & will pick up an Escape 21 in August. Excellent company that takes care of its customers, will do quite a bit of custom work during construction. They are currently running about 6 months out on orders. Check their web page at Escape Trailer Industries.

As long as you are willing to go with a wet bath, I highly recommend them.

I don't believe Bigfoot is currently building 5th wheels, but they do occasionally come up on the used market.

Tags
fiberglass, trailer