Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Money down refundable or non-refundable?

First, I did search for this but most threads are based on ordering a unit. How do you transact for one on the lot? Do you put a deposit down? And, if so, is it usually refundable or non-reundable? Me says refundable but want to check here

I know not to pay the final amount prior to the PDI.
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #2

I have put money down a couple times on different rigs only to change my mind. I always got my money back and would not do buisness with anyone that says it's nonrefundable.
shoeing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No, the deposit, or earnest money, is not refundable. Have your ducks in a really tight line by then, know what you're doing, have an out-the-door price and drop some deposit on them while you get the rest of the money/financing together. Don't be wasting their time. Here's how I do it.
1. I know the market. I research what I want, how much I want to afford and how much it sells for where I'm buying it. Full timers want a washer/dryer. Weekenders, not so much. Got kids? Bunkbeds might be cool. Not me, our rig sleeps 4 and that's cool. I got this thing so the kids can't find us.
2. I find prospects. I note prices, write them in a ledger with other particulars; year, make, model, milage, likes and dislikes. Look at the tires, they need replacement at 7-10 years and they are expensive, price them too. Think about a extended warranty. Price these out for your Top 5. Mine has more than paid for itself, especially when you include the peace of mind they provide. Price varies by year, make and model, deductable and whether it's bumper 2 bumper or running gear or something inbetween.
3. Pick 3-5 favorites. Test drive these. Operate their systems. Spousal agreement on what we'll pay for each of these and which one we like better, 1-5. Develop an out the door max price on each of these, and well as your starting out the door offer. This is your margin for each.
4. Go after #1. Haggle, if you can't get it for what you want, go after #2. You can always come back. Stick to your margin. When you offer, and they accept, you have a contract. Deal in out-the-door pricing, maybe less tax title and license. No dealer prep fee, doc fee, bs fee, one out the door price. Tell them, "I'll give you 125,000 out the door less tax, title and license, with all systems operational at closing."
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

All that from a M/H guy.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

Deposit.....
Money put down 'in earnest' to HOLD an item/REMOVE it from market
If you change mind/back out of deal you SHOULD loose deposit cause item was 'unavailable'

Do NOT ASSUME........get it in writing that deposit IS refundable when you put deposit down.
Otherwise
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
So, you put a refundable deposit on a rig. You come back two days later with the cash. Rig is gone, sold, outta luck. Dealer had someone come in with cash in hand, offered asking price, what do you expect the dealer to do? Are you upset or do you just take your refund and go look for another? If your deposit is to hold the rig, it should not be refundable, the dealer is taking this rig off the market in the expectation that you will buy it. If your deposit does not hold the rig, what does it do?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote