Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Mount a RearView Camera

I have a 2013 Keystone Laredo TT and purchased a TadiBrothers camera system but it does not come with mounting hardware and I was wondering what type of screws should I use to mount the camera. The siding of the TT is flat (is it called rolled fiberglass?). also I could use some suggestions regarding how to get the transmitter and the camera connected. The camera has a cable that connects to the transmitter so I need to get power to the transmitter and then connect the transmitter connected to the camera so a hole will need to be made through the inner wall to the outside to the camera. Anyone install a system like this?
cwohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Cwohl
Does the back of the larado more when you push against or is it sold like the side. The Bullet has what's called a floating rear wall which mean the three pieces
and not jointed together. also take note that the outside is very thin you might want to see if you can find a stud to screw the camera into. The other option is to fix it to the bumper.

Roy
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Have you thought about not using screws and using the 3M command strips. I know that I mounted the hooks on my my exterior and they have held as long as I follow their directions and cleaned the surface first. And I even was able to remove one with out damage when I wanted too. As for the power to the unit I installed a backup camera on my truck and they had said to wire it in to my backup lights in the tail lights however I hooked it to my running lights and prefer this better
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
Cwohl
Does the back of the larado more when you push against or is it sold like the side. The Bullet has what's called a floating rear wall which mean the three pieces
and not jointed together. also take note that the outside is very thin you might want to see if you can find a stud to screw the camera into. The other option is to fix it to the bumper.

Roy
Thanks. any suggestions as to how to find a stud? I believe the studs are aluminum.
cwohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

at the top

do you have lights at the top of the back of your trailer??

connect to those light for power. also check you tube.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwohl View Post
I have a 2013 Keystone Laredo TT and purchased a TadiBrothers camera system but it does not come with mounting hardware and I was wondering what type of screws should I use to mount the camera. The siding of the TT is flat (is it called rolled fiberglass?). also I could use some suggestions regarding how to get the transmitter and the camera connected. The camera has a cable that connects to the transmitter so I need to get power to the transmitter and then connect the transmitter connected to the camera so a hole will need to be made through the inner wall to the outside to the camera. Anyone install a system like this?
I used sheet metal screws to mount mine. I got power for the transmitter from the license plate light because I wanted power to use it while traveling, not just backing up. I turn the lights on when I want to use the camera.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

camera

you need to mount as high as possible.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #8

I have 2 back up cameras on my rigs, one for the truck so I can hitch up the trailer without anyone helping, on the cab and the 2nd is on the back of the trailer for backing it up and as a way to see what's going on behind me as a drive down the road. Since I wanted to use them more than just backing up, I wired a hot wire from the trucks fuse box and put 2 switches on the dash so I can use one or both at the same time. Since I only tow the trailer once ever 6 months (how long a host at a time) The power for the trailer camera comes from the battery bank (with a switch by the circuit breaker) and they are recharged by the solar panels. The monitor I have as the inputs for 2, I can switch back and forth between both cameras as needed. I still have the old back up system that I got for the license plate and it works great for lining up the hitch since it is lined up behind the tow ball. I wonder now how I went for so long without the cameras, While I was wiring up the cameras I also installed extra amber clearance light on the sides of the truck and trailer so anyone beside me can see if I want to change lanes safely, makes life towing a little easier.
katsbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
IC2

A couple ways I'm considering and I have the camera but need a warmer day to make the mod:

- Make a bracket for the ladder and mount it below a rung, run the wires wire tied down a leg, run underneath the trailer in a plastic conduit to the front and the power area. I don't have a transmitter but have a fully wired system so I'll have to run several

- Our 5er has a license plate bracket on both sides under the taillight so could use that plus run the wires as noted above.

If you have this, 'universal' taillight as so many RVs now have - they are dirt cheap: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...cs/RVST51.html plus have the extra license bracket
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

Did what you are planning. took about 6 hours. camera mount made out of a piece of machined alum. mounted to side rail on ladder. plastic conduit from back to front. just buy a diameter, so the plugs will pull through. good luck.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera