Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Mounting a flat screen TV in a TT

We just bought a new 30' Forest River Salem travel trailer, and I would like to mount a 39" TV to the wall in the living room. What's behind the panelling on the wall that's meant to have a TV mounted on it? Is there something other than 2X2's behind this wall to mount a bracket on? I'm a little nervous about hanging a bracket ant TV on the wall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A 39" flat screen weighs about 21 lbs. They typically use a VESA 100 x 100 mm or VESA 200 x 200 mm wall mount. Buy a bigger than minimum wall mount bracket because bouncing will create larger loads than one mounted on a stationary wall. I'd use a piece of 1/2" plywood long enough to span two or more studs and screw it firmly to the wall with the TV mount through bolted to the plywood. If you don't want to use plywood, a door kickplate would also serve. I mounted both flat screens on plywood in my RV that way and they haven't come down yet!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Just as long as one disguises the plywood otherwise one is looking below par!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
Just as long as one disguises the plywood otherwise one is looking below par!
First, I would make sure it's smaller than the TV, not an issue on a 39"er. Plywood could be oak or birch veneer or construction SPF. Paint hides ugly wood. If you want to get fancy, put a chopping board under TV mounting plate. You could also wrap it in cloth, vinyl carpet or wall paper! If you want to go industrial, use rusted steel plate, clear coating the steel to prevent further corrosion and streaking. If travel is your theme, a borrowed street sign would make a fine back plate. To continue with the TV idea, decoupage old TV Guides to disguise the plywood grain.

LandKinaMoho, I'm sure you or danabrodbeck can be even more creative!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

My 2 cents (except we don't have pennies anymore):

You likely have a piece of sheet metal behind the wall finish if it was set up by the factory to be mounted in that location. Get a magnet and move it around to find where it is. If you find it, I'd drill some small pilot holes for the screws. If you can't find it, you need to do as BFlinn says but you can find a mount that doesn't need plywood to span the studs. But you may not even have studs near that location.

If you haven't got the TV yet, you could do comparisons of weight between different brands. The 32" in our TT weighs next to nothing.

If you are thinking of an articulating mount, then you definitely must think about a more substantial method of securing to the wall. See what's available at: RV TV Mounts & Mounting Brackets for Your RV FREE Shipping (a forum sponsor) They should have a mount that will work for you and I'm sure they can help if you contact them. They've also got other RV goodies at good prices....

Otherwise, if you have a brand new unit, can't the dealer tell you anything?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
All thoughts appear useful. Good luck with the install. Happy Holidays!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great replies! I'll be working on it this weekend before heading to S. Florida from St. Augustine.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Take it down when you travel. Can't fall off the wall.

Tags
scr