Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Rat poison is the same thing and quite effective. (Mice like it also). Just make sure pets can't get it.
When poison of some type is left out for mice/rats, do the critters ALWAYS go out of the RV to die? Of is there a good chance they will crawl into some inaccessable place in the RV and die there.

edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
When poison of some type is left out for mice/rats, do the critters ALWAYS go out of the RV to die? Of is there a good chance they will crawl into some inaccessable place in the RV and die there.
I think that would depend on if they are staying in the RV or moving around. Here on the farm I sometimes I find a dead rat outside. I don't usually find them inside but they may be there. There's lots of places where I wouldn't find them. (Barn, out buildings etc)

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have to admit that when I first saw the topic I thought it said Moose Poop, then when I moused over the topic and saw it was inside his rig I just had to read about it, I mean how does a moose get in an RV?????? Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be a mouse.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #18

edj, I've never found a dead mouse inside our RV, even though some of the poison is gone. I assume they left the same way they came in, to find water.

Warfarin is not just rat poison, it is a blood thinner as most know. Given enough Warfarin any animal with flowing blood will bleed to death internally, as Warfarin makes the blood so thin it passes easily through blood vessel walls. When death occurs, little odors occur, the animal just dries-up, somewhat like being mummified. Warfarin also makes animals thirsty, this usually causes mice and rats to seek out a source of water, which is outside the RV or house.
Dogs are particularly suseptable to rat poison/Warfarin. Prudent use and placement of rat poison is highly recommended when one has children or pets inside.
I have used rat poison for many years without one incident outside of the pest family. My barn cats ignore it, and dogs cannot get to where it is placed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
edj, I've never found a dead mouse inside our RV, even though some of the poison is gone. I assume they left the same way they came in, to find water.

Warfarin is not just rat poison, it is a blood thinner as most know. Given enough Warfarin any animal with flowing blood will bleed to death internally, as Warfarin makes the blood so thin it passes easily through blood vessel walls. When death occurs, little odors occur, the animal just dries-up, somewhat like being mummified. Warfarin also makes animals thirsty, this usually causes mice and rats to seek out a source of water, which is outside the RV or house.
Dogs are particularly suseptable to rat poison/Warfarin. Prudent use and placement of rat poison is highly recommended when one has children or pets inside.
I have used rat poison for many years without one incident outside of the pest family. My barn cats ignore it, and dogs cannot get to where it is placed.
Thanks... I park my old Sunnybrook trailer on our property when it is not being used. But, it is near the tree line and the mice are always finding their way in despite my trying to plug up all the holes. I have been using mouse traps inside the living area and storage areas. But, that requires checking daily, or at least every two days for bodies. I was afraid of using Warfarin poison because I figured the mice would get under the floor in unreachable locations and die there. The stink would last for weeks or more. Now, I will give it a try....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #20

As stated Warfarin will thin the blood and de-hydrate the mouse big time. In a house you will often find them in the sump pump pit as they will be looking for water and if they don't find any they look for a way back outside which is usually where they die.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #21

I might look into that also! Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #22

I've used dry sheet with good success.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
No one seems to have thought of using the mice to their advantage. One of those hamster wheels, hooked up to a generator could provide a few amps. And with enough of them you may even be able to forgo the engine space and transmission.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #24

. Thanks for joining irv2.com. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge10world View Post
I've used dry sheet with good success.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I just read something on another post that said that auto antifreeze works too.
I believe it works as I had a leak in my kubota and found dead mice...
It is also suppose to be good for stopping wood rot and mold if you get water in your rig...
It is absorbed and mixes with water...
In my last Rv the previous owner used mothballs.... my asthma got so bad I sold the rig... Its not good for you.... I use "First Bit in the garage. It kills
in 24 hrs unlike some decon that can take up to 5 days. Antifreeze is sweet tasting. Antifreeze is toxic to dogs and small children but is pretty safe to adults... It is even in many hand sanitizers as it kills germs and makes your skin soft. My daughter is a doctor and they use Purell as it does not dry out your hands like the alcohol only ones do... it has antifreeze in it... I read that it kills insects too...
Has anybody else used antifreeze?
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiGuy
I just read something on another post that said that auto antifreeze works too.
I believe it works as I had a leak in my kubota and found dead mice...
It is also suppose to be good for stopping wood rot and mold if you get water in your rig...
It is absorbed and mixes with water...
In my last Rv the previous owner used mothballs.... my asthma got so bad I sold the rig... Its not good for you.... I use "First Bit in the garage. It kills
in 24 hrs unlike some decon that can take up to 5 days. Antifreeze is sweet tasting. Antifreeze is toxic to dogs and small children but is pretty safe to adults... It is even in many hand sanitizers as it kills germs and makes your skin soft. My daughter is a doctor and they use Purell as it does not dry out your hands like the alcohol only ones do... it has antifreeze in it... I read that it kills insects too...
Has anybody else used antifreeze?
First time I've heard of using antifreeze.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #27

Ethylene glycol - regular antifreeze is quite poisonous to humans.....

Propylene glycol - is low toxicity antifreeze sold as LowTox
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #28

Caught another one within three days of the first kill. Should I try the poison or just stick with the traps?