Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #29

IMO, definitely traps, poison is poison. Traps are cheap and they seem to work!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #30
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
Absolutely - 2 for $1.79 = .90 each. Wash 'em of the gore and dried bait, dry 'em off overnight and they will be ready to do their job once more.

A honey do for next spring, get out and get under and plug the holes that are now for sure doorways to the mouses eventual heaven if the traps are set.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Traps are better if you can check it every day... I had a trap in the garage with just a leg in it... he chewed it off to escape... seen it with the glue strips too... I went to decon in the garage but found mice getting in the house to get water when they were dieing in the 5 days it take to kill them... I went to first bit(kills in 24hrs) and have not had any in the house for the last couple of years... When I opened the garage today the smell from one almost knocked me down...
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #32

A cat is another good idea...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #33

You really need to get rid of them quickly. They can damage wiring and insulation. They also pass a lot of urine and feces which will make your RV smell awful. Make sure they have no access to food or water. That will just keep drawing more of them. Blocking the entrance holes is better than trying to trap them all as there is no end to their numbers.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
My concern with poison is that some other creature will eat the poisoned mouse and themselves die, such as owls, cats, fox etc.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #35

My biggest fear with our new camper is mice.....we had such an aweful time with the old camper......mice will build a nest in a drawer fast....
I eill make sure and thoroughly vacuume with a hose everywhere at put away time....put some traps and a small pot with antifreeze....some dryer sheets and mothballs around and on top the tires......a shotgun for those that escape......I will be ready for those darn pests when I bring the new tt home next week
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
I caught one!!!!!!! Let's see if I catch anymore!!!!!

Has anyone ever used the device that plugs in and sends a current or signal through the wires inside the trailer or residence? I saw it at Walmart for $20 but didn't know if I should get it.
these dont work the only way to get rid of them is to find entry way and repair it ones inside need to use snaptraps baited with slimjims i do pest control for a living also no poison if they die and you cant find them the smell.there no ultra sonic devices that work trowing money out the door hope this helps
whitemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Thanks... I park my old Sunnybrook trailer on our property when it is not being used. But, it is near the tree line and the mice are always finding their way in despite my trying to plug up all the holes. I have been using mouse traps inside the living area and storage areas. But, that requires checking daily, or at least every two days for bodies. I was afraid of using Warfarin poison because I figured the mice would get under the floor in unreachable locations and die there. The stink would last for weeks or more. Now, I will give it a try....
bad move
whitemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #38

Only one solution. Get a cat.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #39

amazing how much 'fertilizer' such a tiny creature and give off. I got a really really good deal on my last PuP because of the mice that got in and the black snake that followed them.......his DW said she didn't care WHAT he did, she was NOT ever sleeping in that thing again.

but yes, they don't need much space. a typical mouse can squeeze his way into a crack or crevice even as small as 1/4 of an inch. so yeah, it's easy for them to get in. sealing the cracks is the best, but lets face it, you just can't get em all. steel wool helps too, but it's best to keep some kind of trap or poisen out. as already mentioned, check it often and make sure the pets and kids can't get to it!
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #40

One idea (not mine) that I've tried with success is to start by:
1-Checking all entry points under my trailer IE: Gas lines, elec, waste pipes etc. 2-Purchace a roll of 1/8 inch mesh, Zinc coated (heavy duty) screen type material, (hardware store).
3-Cut with a tin snips into 2 inch by 12 inch strips (like a ribbon).
4-Find 1/2 inch self tapping screws also at the hardware store, and small flat washers. Now the easy part,
5-Start from front to back and look under you camper, look for the aforementioned lines, pipes, hoses etc..
6-Take the ribbon of mesh screen and wrap it around the line like you are wrapping a finger with a band-aid, leave part of the mesh against the floor and part against the line, wrap around until the mesh ribbon has gone around at least twice.
7-Now while holding pressure on the mesh against the floor with one hand, run a washer-ed screw through the mesh and into the camper sub floor, remember, to hold the mesh tight against the floor.
8-Continue wrapping all areas under the camper. The mesh screen is very form able to odd shapes and will hold tight, and it will remain rust free with its Zinc coating.
9- Purchase Ajax or Comet Cleanser (with bleach) and sprinkle around the tires, jack stands and tongue jack. Mice cannot stand and will keep away from the smell of bleach, mice travel with their nose and follow trails of (pi$$) left behind from the mice that broke the trail and entered your campers. A light sprinkle is all that's needed. Repeat applications as needed following rain events etc.
10- Now set your traps inside and catch what (unwanted guests) mice that are remaining..
NOTE: No new mice will enter due to the wire mesh and due to the cleanser (with bleach) burning their noses.

Another trick for bugs, spiders,hornets, Yellow jackets etc. is to buy a dog flee collar, (the ones that look like jell), and cut each collar into 2 equal lengths. Place one length behind the fridge (outer) access panel, water heater outside access panel, furnace, etc.. Those creepy crawlers will not care to take residency anywhere near that smell and will keep those areas (bug) pest free for up to 3 months. hope this helps some of you with the mice and/or bug problems. My 2 cents........ RR.
Razerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #41

When i went looking at TT's I would ask the dealers how they control the mouse problem. I had a dealer tell me bobcat pee. Spray it on tires and hitch and any thing that touches the ground. If it rains you would have to spray again. I did a search on the web and came up with a company at predatorpee.com. they also sell 33 day containers that hold 1-1 1/2 oz of the pee. you would put or hang small containers near tires or hitch {they said you could put them 10-20 ft apart.}they can smell the bobcat pee and will not go near. I will be getting my TT next month and i will try this and keep a spray bottle handy. Also i read many other ways here that i might try. Do chipmunks get into campers or are they to big for openings? Good Luck everyone!
mbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi:
I have used a product called Critter Out it comes in gallon containers,it has a peppermint smell, it was originally called Deer Out. It has worked to keep critters out and easier than trying to catch a bobcat....

You just spray it in all openings of rig, i have 37 MH and it lasts about three months and gallon container lasts about three sprayings