Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Mouse poop!!!!!

While conducting a monthly inspection of my winterized travel trailer I noticed that there was mouse droppings on the counter next to the sink and a ton of droppings in the sink.

I checked the rest of the camper and found small amounts of mouse droppings throughout the camper. I checked under the camper and did not find any openings leading into the camper. I then remembered that a couple weeks ago I noticed that I had forgotten to recap and close the waste water release valve (black and grey) after winterizing. The valve must have been open for about a few weeks before I closed the valves.

I'm thinking that the mouse entered the black and or grey water tanks then when I secured the valves it entered the camper via the kitchen sink. I placed about eight traps in the camper today and hope this works! Keep in mind that there is no food or drinks inside the camper.

Does this sound possible that the entry point was via the valve?
Do you think the traps are enough?
Anything else I should do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

I doubt that they could work their way all the way through your plumbing. I had a few, and I believe that they came in the vent in the rear of the fridge. Remember, mice can squeeze through very small holes.

Traps are the best and most proven system. I put about a foot of neon tape on each one to remind me that they are there.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill
I doubt that they could work their way all the way through your plumbing. I had a few, and I believe that they came in the vent in the rear of the fridge. Remember, mice can squeeze through very small holes.

Traps are the best and most proven system. I put about a foot of neon tape on each one to remind me that they are there.
Why do you think I found so much of the droppings in the sinks (95%)?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Potty trained? Probably got in and the slick sides they couldn't get out too easy and it scared the Crap out of them.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

Catching the mice isn't the problem, it's taking the whole rig apart to find the nest. I caught 7 of them in mine sitting on the side of the house One /day.. Found out they were coming in from the woods on the side of the house.Winterized it and put it out in storage and they are gone.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
It is definitely a challenge to figure out where mice (and other small critters) get into an RV. As mentioned before by bluepill, they can squeeze through an amazingly small space. And, they CHEW! I had a family in an RV that I previously owned and after exhaustive searching, we found they had chewed their way through the foam insulation surrounding some wires and pipes that went through a hole in the floor. And, even though you don't think there is any food anywhere inside for then, they have amazing sniffers and can find even the smallest crumbs. Since that experience with them (and a subsequent experience with a pack-rat that chewed through half the wires under the sink) I just keep a couple of traps cocked and baited under the sink areas - just in case.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi:

We have had same problem and use a product called Critter Out, find it online. It has smell of cinnamon. Originally developed for repelling of deers Nd most important it works.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Since that experience with them (and a subsequent experience with a pack-rat that chewed through half the wires under the sink) I just keep a couple of traps cocked and baited under the sink areas - just in case.
I keep a couple mouse traps baited with peanut butter in the trailer. BUT, it is very important to check the traps every couple days to get rid of any bodies before they start rotting and stinking up the trailer.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Do you have electricity to the trailer? If so, try some of the sonic mouse chasers at ACE hardware. They have worked for us. Can't leave them plugged in more than a few weeks or the cute little critters get use to the sound.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
IC2

Welcome to the 'other side' of RV'ing

There are way too many ways for a mouse to get an RV. If you have slides, the frame penetrations are pretty common entry ways. If you leave it plugged in, then there is that hatch, with that appropriately named 'mouse hole' for the cable. Any of the plumbing penetrations are open doorways. The reefer cabinet is open to the elements as well. I just redid the adjoining entertainment cabinet, which required that I remove the entire face frame. Lo and behold, a 1/2" plus gap at the top of the reefer. The propane penetration through the floor to the stove and reefer is another entry way plus any electrical service wiring access. To date, I've owned only one trailer that didn't have a few to a lot of droppings each spring. My current 5er, and considered a "premium" unit - many openings that needed attention but so far this year after several, no poops - yet
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #11

I caught one!!!!!!! Let's see if I catch anymore!!!!!

Has anyone ever used the device that plugs in and sends a current or signal through the wires inside the trailer or residence? I saw it at Walmart for $20 but didn't know if I should get it.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have used mothballs since 99' on the two tt's I have owned. The only place the tt touches the ground are the 4 tires and the hitch. Unless mice can fly or jump 12" to 18" that is the only access points. Inside the trailer I'll use those old 35mm film containers with a few holes punched into the sides and put 3-4 mothballs in each. I'll place 6-7 around the inside of the trailer.

When I bought my tt I laid on my back and caulked any opening underneath where the manufacture drilled for wiring and plumbing and filled it up tight. I'll place a mothball on top of each tire and a few around each tire. I'll also put mothballs where the electric cord coils up into the tt, behind the water heater cover.

Cross my fingers I have never had a problem....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Just in case the little critters have heart problems, feed them copious amounts of warfarin. If they didn't have heart problems _ they will very soon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just in case the little critters have heart problems, feed them copious amounts of warfarin. If they didn't have heart problems _ they will very soon.
Rat poison is the same thing and quite effective. (Mice like it also). Just make sure pets can't get it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote