Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

MPG 2800QB by Cruiser RV any thoughts??

Hello,

I know a lot of folks come looking for reviews/thoughts on specific brands, etc. I'm just one more of those! And hopefully after this week, I'll be posting some better questions on our new TT...like how do I drive this thing??!

We have been looking at TTs for years and this is finally the time to buy. We have actually gotten to the point of nearly signing the paperwork on a MPG 2800QB. I cannot find a ton of reviews/info out there on them or on Cruiser RV (they also make ShadowCruiser, Stryker, etc). I think they are more Mid-West centric. We just saw this MPG line at the Seattle RV Show last weekend. We really liked the room and some of the cool amenities, but just curious on a couple of things:

1. Does anyone have any info, experience, etc w/ this company or this line? I can't seem to find even another dealer in the state w/ them.

2. This is a big one for you veterans of slide-outs: When watching the slide-out being brought in, after a little bit of rain yesterday, I could see some water come into the unit w/ the slide-out. There are large thick rubber flanges or squeegees (I guess they are?) on the body of the trailer surrounding the slide-out, but some water definitely made it in as it was retracting. Is some of this normal at all?

Other than that...we really like it for the price, weight, room, etc.

Thanks a lot for any help!!

Chris
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

I don't have any experience with that line of trailers, but it looks like a nice rig. We had a Sunline trailer with a slideout and if retracted with water on the slide out, some would come in on the roof. After getting the trailer, we had a slide out topper installed and that took care of that happening, and having to check the slide out for debris (pine needles, branches, ect.) everytime you're packing up. In spite of their tendacy to be a little noisy in high winds and puddling in heavy rains, we like having a slideout topper.

The rubber seals are designed for sealing the slideout when it is retracted. If water gets in while the slide out is retracted, then you want to find out what's wrong. You can do a test by hosing down the side of the trailer with the slideout retracted, and then check the interior for any water/leaks.

Good luck and enjoy the new trailer!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Scbwr,

thanks a lot for the reply. Good to hear about the slide topper...we are having one installed. We are picking it up tomorrow so I'll keep you guys updated on it!

Chris
Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Hello Chris,

My family and I picked up our MPG 2800 yesterday, from Tacoma RV. Really impressed with the service we received. Hope your experience was the same.

We had the slide topper, and max air vents installed. I'll admit it, we did the Dura Seal too. Yes, I read the thread where you asked about it. I don't feel bad about getting it.

First camping trip is in the books an everything went perfect. Had trouble with one dvd playing...I can live with that.

Towed well behind the F150.

Cheers!

Mike and Family
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Hi Mike,

Small world. We picked up at Tacoma RV on Saturday as well, we were probably passing each other throughout the day, unless you picked up earlier. We started at 2PM. It was a good day, very informative and the service was great.

Hope you enjoyed your first trip out...we're still looking at it sitting there as half of my house is down with the flu.

Hope you enjoy, keep in touch as you find things and I'll do the same!

Chris
Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

We were there for a bit after 2pm but we may have moved to the other lot by then.

Hope your family gets better quickly. If you find some good campgrounds (or terrible ones) let me know. I'll do the same.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Mike, just curious...looking around the unit today, realized I hadn't noticed how rusty/oxidized these bolts in the suspension looked or the axle underneath. Does yours look the same?

Everyone else...am i just paranoid? Complete newb here so I have no idea if this is completely normal for a brand new trailer.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_131526.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	120201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_131546.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	120202  

Old 02-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Housing and hardware are all black on mine with no rust. I'll try to send picture. Might just be a fresh coat of black rust-oleum..
Old 03-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
RPr

We could not decide if or how big a TT we wanted. So, we took our best guess and rented a similar unit for ten days in the Ozarks.

Learned a lot really fast.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

I bought the 2820BH in May. Had problems with the floor being scraped by one of the slides. Also had the control panel face plate fall off, one of the canned light frames fell off too. Had those fixed. We've been living in it during a move across the country. So far, both sinks are leaking, the valance and blind behind the sofa fell completely off. One of the lower trim areas on a slide has separated on one end, tone of the arms to the awning is not working nor is the awning motor working as it should. There is sawdust in all the lights, on the valances. And, the ceiling of the front "cubby" / base of the master bed has a huge cracked in it. I'll be contacting the manufacturer tomorrow as the closest dealer is almost 200 miles away. :/
sazzeemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

(new forum member). I did tons of research last year before we decided what to buy. Cruiser RV and Lance kept coming back up to the top of the list. We went with Lance for several reasons but the biggest decision maker was accessibility to the manufacturer.

Cruiser RV did not publish any contact information on their website other than a phone number and address. I got the names of sales department heads and sent them a snail mail letter asking specific questions about 2 of their models. No reply, no attempts to contact me.

Lance Manufacturing publishes all kinds of contact info and I received an email back in under 12 hours! Every email I have sent has been promptly returned with a personalized response with answers to all my questions. They offered a factory tour which was 3 hours of exploring every department including the assembly line.

We bought a Lance 1985 and have been extremely pleased with it. Both Lance and our dealer have been wonderful. We have not been out on the road yet for an extended period of time so we shall see how other warranty/repair experiences go. <fingers crossed>
cjruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

Update?

Mike,

We are in the market for a 2800QB here in Atlanta. I am curious how your experience has been after the first full season. I will also be towing with F-150. Any input on that?

Regards,

Another Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLiljen View Post
Hello Chris,

My family and I picked up our MPG 2800 yesterday, from Tacoma RV. Really impressed with the service we received. Hope your experience was the same.

We had the slide topper, and max air vents installed. I'll admit it, we did the Dura Seal too. Yes, I read the thread where you asked about it. I don't feel bad about getting it.

First camping trip is in the books an everything went perfect. Had trouble with one dvd playing...I can live with that.

Towed well behind the F150.

Cheers!

Mike and Family
mbeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #13

Hello Mike,

We love our MPG, and it provided a summer full of memories for us. The floor plan, with the bunks, really fits our family. If you have specific areas of interest let me know and I'll give you my opinion. Overall, our experience with the trailer has been 100% positive. For add-ons, we did get the slideout cover and equilizer distribution hitch, and they are great. We purchased the extended warranty and sealant...and if I had a do-over, I would not do it. I'd spend that money on camping. For the warranty, we need to service at the dealer, and it is just not practical to get down there.

It was just winterized this past weekend and we are counting down the days until February when it we will be out again.

There are a few things that have been damaged over the course of the summer. But, pretty minor. A cabinet door in the entertainment center broke (pretty flimsy), one pull out door in that center cabinet in the bunk room broke. The drawer was pretty full and the little catch wasn't strong enough to keep it in place while driving. So between braking/accelerating, the drawer came loose. The vinyl on the dinette seat back "caps" have worn a little bit. Oh, one of the blinds in the bunkhouse fell down during a trip. The little screws that fasten the blind to the paneling stripped. I used hollow door anchors and it has held fast since.

It took me awhile to figure out how to take a shower in an rv. But, it's easy now. Based on info on this site we upgraded the shower head to the "oxygenics" and put in one of those space saving curtain rods...I love the shower now.

Only other knock is the outdoor kitchen.. We use a strap to keep the refer fridge closed now. Plus, the height of the stove is pretty high for us. So, we need a step.

Other than that...we have been trouble free. Repair items have been pretty minor. We have had a blast learning how to operate the thing, and for us...feel good about buying it.

So, regarding the truck. It pulls great. There is plenty of power, and have not had any issues towing over the coast range, in Oregon and Washington. On the freeway it is great and we can cruise. With that said, I don't tow with water in the tanks, and I do plan to upgrade to an F350 in the next year or two. Not because it isn't capable, but I want to have extra capacity. I'm not 100% sure it will be an F350 and I'm just starting to look into what make/model we will get. But, to your question.. the truck does a good job.

Chris might chime in with some of his thoughts too. He bought his MPG the same weekend we bought ours. If you do purchase the mpg, let me know, would be good to keep in touch. I think the hardest part of winterizing was finding the hot water heater bypass valve :P

Whatever you get, I hope it brings you good memories too.

Take care,

Mike

PS... I'd also get the electric tongue jack from the dealer when purchased, and its on my Christmas list.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #14

When we bought our TT we narrowed the choices down to 2 manufacturers: Cruiser RV and Lance. I contacted both companies with questions about their trailers. Lance responded to an email within 24 hours with detailed answers, contact info for more help, and encouraged us to come on over for a factory tour. Cruiser RV - nothing. So we went with Lance and have been ecstatic with our 1985.

That was my litmus test. However, buying from a responsive dealer makes a world of difference. Good luck!
cjruss is offline   Reply With Quote