Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Murphy beds??

My wife and I are looking for a TT and had previously not considered one with a Murphy bed but after seeing one in a Jayco Whitehawk 23MBH, I must say I'm intrigued. Anyone have a murphy bed? How do you like it? Is it that much of a pain going from bed to sofa and vice-versa?

edwardo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most Murphy Beds do not have the couch position...it's often just a bed or cabinet (looks like a wardrobe). That is what has been installed in many Toy Hauler garages including the Outlaw, Class A.

But I have seen the couch/bed set-ups in TT's and a Class B+.

Both are very versatile...just make the bed and fold up the deck.

I don't know why they are not more common, but people seem to want a dedicated bedroom and sleeper sofa in RV's. Makers give the public what they want.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
We looked at the 23MBH before deciding on our Minnie. My concern with the Murphy bed is the ability to buy a stock mattress that would meet our needs. At our age, replacing the mattress supplied by the manufacturer is a must. Aside from that, the lack of storage space in the Jayco eliminated from our list of possible trailers.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
RV Mutant #29

We have a murphy bed in our 2304S Rockwood ultralite trailer and really like it. It also has a jackknife sofa that folds flat so the queen bed can drop down over it. Living room by day, bedroom by night! A few issues that could be a concern for some - the bed is fairly high off the floor to clear the sofa, so it could be difficult for someone with mobility problems. The bed closes off with a curtain, but could be an issue if sleep schedules are different in terms of noise, light, etc. I solved that by adding a blackout lining to the curtain. We added a memory foam mattress topper. On the plus side, it feels like a 30' trailer in 20+ ft! The Dinette in a big slide really opens up the space and the bathroom is huge, the whole width of the trailer across the back. There is some outside storage on either side at the front and more under the dinette that can be accessed from inside or outside. We were originally looking at a unit with the murphy bed and no slide, but when we saw the way the space opened up we fell in love, lol. It's a perfect couples trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	62202  
2012 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 V8 with max tow package
Andersen WD hitch with sway control
Rockwood Ultralite 2304s
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote