Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

My conundrum

We sold our Tiffin Phaeton a few years ago, but now we're really missing the ability to hit the road for a few weeks or months. I've spent a month or so on the internet and visiting local RV dealers. IMO, the dealers around us (Vero Beach, FL) leave much to be desired. Example.. while browsing RVTrader, I see a local dealer advertising a Keystone Bullet. I call and speak with a salesman and he confirms that it is still available. We get in the car and head down to their facility. We meet up with the salesman and he leads us out into the lot. He leads us around and can't find the unit he just confirmed was in stock and available! On the drive home we stop at another dealer and after a discussion of the size we're looking for (24' max or 5000#), in any brand, we follow him around the lot and he shows us nothing that meets the previously agreed on parameters!

Now to my dilemma. Last night I logged onto this site and was astounded at the number of negative reviews posted about Keystone's!

I'd really like to know who makes a decent quality Travel Trailer?? I'm sure there is no published list (that would be way to easy), so I'm asking you knowledgeable folks who you would recommend? Maybe the top 5 or 10?

We liked the floor plan of the 22 -24'Bullet. Swivel TV, decent galley, etc.

Can anyone help this old guy out? Thank youl JR
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

My conundrum

I can tell you that my wife and I are very happy with our 2016 Keystone Bullet 269RLS. Now I will admit we've only had it a couple of months and only pulled it a little over 600 miles, but it seems very solid and so far not a single problem. By the end of this year we will have put several thousand miles on it, covered several states and spent many nights in it, so we will see how it does. [emoji4]
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You had a Phaeton so you might look at New Horizons. They will build a TT for you any way you want and it is Quality. After that it would be Northwoods Silver Fox or the OutdoorsRV Blackstone or Wind River line. Finding a high quality TT that length will be the problem.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I've seen the Bullet Premiers 22-24. Love the floor plan and they seem to be a good trailer. You'll find negative comments for most brands, just because people tend to voice their complaints more often. We have an Apex 18. Just love it, it has a big dinette and separate bed, but it would be nice now to have a walk around bed so that we don't have to crawl over each other. If money was unlimited, I'd get an Airstream...just love the looks. Good luck with your search.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #5

Nicest TT we have seen so far is the Grand Design Reflection 313RLS. Very much a 5th wheel type floor plan in a bumper tow unit. It is big though.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Coming from a Tiffin Phaeton you are going to find that TTs are a completely different ball game. As far as the mass produced trailers I like Jayco, rockwood signature, and Grandesign reflection.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #7

You mentioned wanting a smaller trailer. Take a look at the Winnebago Minnie Travel Trailers. We bought the 2101FBS and are very happy with this trailer. We have had no problems with it and it comes in a size that is within the criteria you mentioned.
MT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

Check out Lance trailers!!
We have been looking for years & as soon as I get $$ together, will order.
Our choice is the 2285, 24 ft. dry wt. about 4600.
Quality build.
Lance camper.com ( yea, they make campers also)
They are not cheap, way better quality than a jaco.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #9

After owning a Phaeton, your expectations will be higher. And that's not a bad thing, just keep that in mind on your hunt.

I'm on the hunt for a nicer trailer as well. Our Forest River has been great for 9 years. It's not "premium" but well done. When I walk into a more budget conscious camper, I notice so many little build quality issues I couldn't live with. That said, like you I'm wondering what I other quality units are out there in terms of brands that are good bets.

Airstreams are incredible. I really like the cabinetry and hardware they use. But, they don't do slideouts (I think they've done one in the past).

I'll be watching this thread....
FamilyCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thinking outside the box. You could buy a slightly used Arctic Fox. Get a full body paint. Strip the inside and do custom cabinets and interior. Using the Arctic Fox you will get a solid frame and running gear. That's about the only way I know you will get a Phaeton like interior in a shorter TT with great looks.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Check out Lance trailers!!
We have been looking for years & as soon as I get $$ together, will order.
Our choice is the 2285, 24 ft. dry wt. about 4600.
Quality build.
Lance camper.com ( yea, they make campers also)
They are not cheap, way better quality than a jaco.
X2 .
Just bought a 2016 Lance 1995. Found them to be first class in quality department. However, I would say, Jayco impressed us too.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #12

We shopped TTs for about 8 months with an eye for quality, efficient layout, storage and counterspace.
We bought a Winnebago Towables and have no regrets. It's a great unit.

The next step up would have been Airstream, but the price was just too hard to justify.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #13

We have also researched Keystone and the review have been horrible. When you count the amount of travel trailers they make out there today,it's no wonder... I think we counted 30 different trailers with the Keystone manufacturer. How can you have a quality trailer when you make so many brands? We have been looking into KZ products and Venture which is also made on the KZ line. There are some decent campers of the size you are looking for in both models. GOOD LUCK.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #14

We also really likes some of the Dutchmen brands like Kodiak.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote