Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

My Experiences with Decal Removal (thus far)

I have a 2010 Skyline Nomad TT. Unfortunately, the vinyl decals have started failing with peeling, blistering, and shrinking. I have tried a few methods of work in removing them and thought I would share my experiences in what works best for my particular situation.

FIrst, a big thanks to those whom have previously submitted advise on the subject. I found a heat gun and plastic putty knife works best to initially remove the decals . Next, I use a product caled "Vinyl Off" made by CrystalTek to remove the adhesive left behind. Although Vinyl Off is advertised as a decal remover, I found it works best on simply removing old adhesive. I previously tried 3M's Stripe-off Wheel. Although it works well in removing the actual decal, the wheel simply smeared the left over adhesive making it dificult to remove cleanly.

Now, I face a new challenge in attempting to remove (perhaps blending?) the yellowed area surrounding where the decal use to be. This apparently known as "ghosting." Interesting as I previously never noticed the side of my TT starting to turn yellow until I removed the first decal exposing how white my trailer should be. Strange, as I have always used a spray synthetic polish on my TT.

WIll update when I discover a method of dealing with this new problem.

Tae care,
Nomad
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBD View Post
I have a 2010 Skyline Nomad TT. Unfortunately, the vinyl decals have started failing with peeling, blistering, and shrinking. I have tried a few methods of work in removing them and thought I would share my experiences in what works best for my particular situation.

FIrst, a big thanks to those whom have previously submitted advise on the subject. I found a heat gun and plastic putty knife works best to initially remove the decals . Next, I use a product caled "Vinyl Off" made by CrystalTek to remove the adhesive left behind. Although Vinyl Off is advertised as a decal remover, I found it works best on simply removing old adhesive. I previously tried 3M's Stripe-off Wheel. Although it works well in removing the actual decal, the wheel simply smeared the left over adhesive making it dificult to remove cleanly.

Now, I face a new challenge in attempting to remove (perhaps blending?) the yellowed area surrounding where the decal use to be. This apparently known as "ghosting." Interesting as I previously never noticed the side of my TT starting to turn yellow until I removed the first decal exposing how white my trailer should be. Strange, as I have always used a spray synthetic polish on my TT.

WIll update when I discover a method of dealing with this new problem.

Tae care,
Nomad
Nomad, sorry to hear about your issues. I am very surprised, it sounds like you are experiencing what would be considered normal aging for a trailer that is 6 to 9 years old, not one that is only 2 to 3 years old.
I don't have a direct recommendation for the yellowing, a trailer of your age should only need a light power buffing to remove decal ghosting and blend the faded gelcoat with the area that was protected by the decal.
Your decal issue also surprises me. A 3 year old decal should remove fairly easily with just the heat gun. The adhesive should come off with the decal as long as the heat gun temperature is right. There should be very little residue left on the trailer. You should only need the plastic scraper to start an edge, after that it should continue to peel away just with the heat and the tension from pulling, and it should come off with the adhesive.
Keep us posted... this should not be happening to a 3 year old surface. (I have been in the vehicle decal business my entire adult life, these kind of unusual situations always interest me)
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

We used a product called ghost off. You can get it here FELLERS, the World's Largest Wrap Supply Company Works really well.
TravelPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
For those who read this I had a 2000 Journey that the stripes were faded and cracked. I bought this unit new and the sides not being painted well to say the least the stripes and fiberglass both went down hill very quickly. I removed the stripes to paint the upper portion of the motor home. I tried heat gun, vinyl remover and many other methods that just took forever and the glue from the stripes was terrible to remove. I will keep this short because there was so much involved in this procedure. When I went back to the paint store the man that waited on me asked me what I was doing so I told him he said that he worked in a body shop at one time and had the opportunity to remove vinyl stripes and her is his method. He said get a steam iron like you use for steaming clothes etc at home just so happens my wife has one. Start at the edge of the stripe and steam the edge and start peeling with your thumb nail. To my surprise once I got it started i moved the steam head along the stripe puling at the same time and it lifted right off. What took me two days to do with chemicals and what a mess in two hours perfectly clean all stripes removed. This method is incredible and 100 % removal including glue. The Winnie I painted but really to late the surface of the fiberglass had cracked so bad it was beyond repair what a lesson I would never buy a coach that was not full body paint again. After 93 K miles and 12 great years I traded for a full body painted Monaco Windsor what a beauty and cleans up so nice. I also built a pole barn to store the Monaco in wish I had done that with the Journey I loved that Motor home. Sorry this was so long but it may help someone else.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #5

I tried "Ghost Off" also made by CrystalTek. Unfortunately, there was no change. Although, I should note the finish on my TT is shiny- not faded.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

I have a 2006 Innsbruck 5th wheel that had similar decal problems. We had a cheap Wagner drywall steamer. I turned it on let the steam build up and held it over a section of the decal dor a few minutes. Then I moved it to another section and picked at the steamed part once I gor a piece loose I just slowly pealed it away going from left to right and keeping the steamer pad in front of me as I pealed. I was able to get New decals from one of the 3 companies in Elkhart that made the originals. I think they cost around $25.-$30 apiece. I ordered 3. took about 2 weeks to get them. If you want more info about where I got them I could look it up later. Let me know.
tiggs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

That would be great. The original company that made mine is someone expensive.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

Time for an update: As it turns out, the yellowing on the side of my travel trailer is from UV radiation. I was able to bring my paint back to its original white color using a Porter Cable dual-action polisher and Mequiars 105/205 combo.

Don't get me wrong; it took a lot of time and effort to restore the trailers original finish. Nevertheless, it was worth it.

I've also decided not to replace the graphics. I think I will make my own designs and paint them on.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #10

Stains paint

I was recommended to use Crystal Tek on my 2004 Southwind. First, it did not do a very good job and stained the paint on the coach. Sent them a message and have heard nothing. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STUFF.
caryprnt is offline   Reply With Quote