Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum, as others have said you have a way with words.

As far as your trailer goes, I'd break it down into a couple of groups
of things to fix as money comes available.

(A) While waiting for money, clean both the inside and outside, a hot
sudsy bath always makes a trailer feel better.

(B) See what items in the trailer work or don't work, refrigerator
(elect & propane), does it have a heater? Does that work or not.
drain the water tank and give the whole system a good dose of
bleach and water to run through the system to clean it.
do the rest of the systems work? Toilet, shower, sinks, the dump
systems for the holding tanks.

(C) probably the most expensive items would be new correct tires
and inspect or get it done the brakes and the wheel bearings, wheel
bearings should be repacked and inspected every two years or 10,000
miles of towing.

Besides this forum there are a few more to hunt for information to add
to your knowledge of RVing and your trailer.

Take a look at www.escapees.com or google for more websites on
travel trailers.

Other than that, enjoy your future adventures.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip.Saran View Post
Welcome to the forum, as others have said you have a way with words.

As far as your trailer goes, I'd break it down into a couple of groups
of things to fix as money comes available.

(A) While waiting for money, clean both the inside and outside, a hot
sudsy bath always makes a trailer feel better.

(B) See what items in the trailer work or don't work, refrigerator
(elect & propane), does it have a heater? Does that work or not.
drain the water tank and give the whole system a good dose of
bleach and water to run through the system to clean it.
do the rest of the systems work? Toilet, shower, sinks, the dump
systems for the holding tanks.

(C) probably the most expensive items would be new correct tires
and inspect or get it done the brakes and the wheel bearings, wheel
bearings should be repacked and inspected every two years or 10,000
miles of towing.

Besides this forum there are a few more to hunt for information to add
to your knowledge of RVing and your trailer.

Take a look at www.escapees.com or google for more websites on
travel trailers.

Other than that, enjoy your future adventures.

I'm working on the cleaning now and already ripping out paneling that is majorly rotted. I am just doing quick fixes for now. Going to joint compound all the walls and paint EVERYTHING with Kilz. The exterior needs to be completely redone before I start to put money inside the trailer. No fridge, so I have to buy that. I know the A/C and lights work because the lady I bought it from plugged it in. I've attached a garden hose to the water line and the bathroom sink and shower/tub work but the kitchen sink doesn't haven't looked closer yet. The toilet needs a different connection before I will use it. As for the furnace, I'd be really surprised if it didn't work it looks practically brand new and a 59,000 BTU to boot! There are no holding tanks and I haven't filled the propane tanks yet. Will wait til I am at my permanent location. I am going to wait on new tires since I won't be driving it but one more time to it's perm. lot and I will set it up on blocks, sell the two trailer tires that are on there and put that towards new ones. I do plan on taking a trip to visit family in Ohio next summer, so I will need the tires by then... may need another truck too!!!

This is the first home I've ever owned and when I am done it will be a showcase!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoR View Post
I'm working on the cleaning now and already ripping out paneling that is majorly rotted. I am just doing quick fixes for now.

This is the first home I've ever owned and when I am done it will be a showcase!
I don't want to burst your bubble but many places will not allow a rig that old and in that condition in. You may find it hard to get a place to park it to live in. The places I've seen that allow old rigs that need to be rebuilt are not the kind of places you would want to live in. Seriously. They can be likened to ghettos. You would also need full hookups since you have no holding tanks. And lastly, there would be few places that will allow you to rebuild this rig with the sight and sounds of hammers and smells of paint, glues etc. Please look into this before you spend more money on this old trailer.

If you can find a friend or relative to allow you to live on their land while you rebuild this old rig, you would be better off.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #18

On a rig of that age, first thing I would do is get the smoke and propane detectors replaced...or added.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #19

Tired this evening. It's been too hot to work during the day so I've been working on the TT at night.
The laminate flooring is up, decided I'm going to use it to line the closets after I paint the inside with Kilz. Overhead cabinet at the front is gone and pulled the old rotted paneling off. Last night did about 1/4 of the walls with joint compound and will continue with that tonight. So while the rest of you sleep, I will be playing in mud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
On a rig of that age, first thing I would do is get the smoke and propane detectors replaced...or added.
LOL.. ADD for sure. Not sure they had smoke detectors in 1973!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
LOL.. ADD for sure. Not sure they had smoke detectors in 1973!!!
Yeah, was wondering that myself as to when smoke detectors came about, then started becoming common and when they were required. Also thought that maybe someone went ahead and installed them at some point but...best to just replace any that are there so you know they will be reliable.

BTW, good luck with your rebuild. I would think that could be frustratingly fun.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Yeah, was wondering that myself as to when smoke detectors came about, then started becoming common and when they were required. Also thought that maybe someone went ahead and installed them at some point but...best to just replace any that are there so you know they will be reliable.

BTW, good luck with your rebuild. I would think that could be frustratingly fun.
found this if anyone is interested in the history of the smoke alarm, I am always researching stuff like this, reading about things we take for granted.

Smoke detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While a home version was available in 1965 I seriously doubt travel trailers had them until much later. My guess would be late 70's early 80's. Being recreational, I'm sure they weren't considered in the scheme of things until people realized that such a small space has the potential of incredibly fast fire consumption.
I've seen the pictures of what happens to an RV during a fire. I even saw a video of one on fire. Makes me seriously consider adding fire retardant materials during my rebuild.
A bit of research and Pabco makes a 1/2" fire resistant wallboard which, I think the extra expense is worth it. As far as I'm conserned it should be standard in all liveable RV's.

"Frustratingly fun" is about right. If the TT belonged to someone else it would just be frustrating!

Joint compounding the living room has proven to be a very long process. Mostly it's trying to find a cooler time to work. It's been so hot here (and humid), I currently don't have any electricity so I don't have A/C. I could work all day and night if that were the case. As it is, even the nights have been nearly unbearable. Yesterday, it was 96 with 82% humidity. Sitting in front of a battery powered personal fan is about all I could do. Some clouds came in and helped a bit. I managed to work for about an hour or so but one of my dogs wanted to be with me so I had to keep the doors closed. I don't think I've ever had sweat pour off me like that and Lucy, she may have a wooly coat, but she doesn't seem to mind the heat as much as I do.

The closet doors are off and that was a real pain. Who uses square hole screws? AND then paints them? Really surprised I didn't do more damage to the frame. Even the doors would be salvageable if I wanted to keep them, which, incidentally, I don't. Who puts closet doors in a doorway?

I have great plans for the inside. Something really different and unique. Designing small spaces is what I plan on doing with my architectural degree once I finish school so this is definitely a great lesson in usable space.

We did get some rain the other evening. Besides needing the rain, I wanted to see how the TT held up. Even the louvered windows (one of which is half falling out) kept the rain out.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I currently live in Seneca SC. It's a tiny upstate SC town nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians.
Well, I'm fond of telling folks there are THREE (Really 4) Ways to winterize a motor home (I never include parking it in a heated building, I mean, that is possible but costly)

Wet method: (Fill water lines with a chemical you have to flush out come sprint)
Dry: Fill water lines with air, use chemical only in drains and toilets, who cares about it there YOu are GOING to flush it out .. Eventually.. Via normal use)

And the "S" method. Seneca, SC is "S" enough for me.

Though I am currently in Michigan. As the weather gets colder, (Sometime around Halloween or Thanksgiving) I will show up, on Sundays, at St. Paul the Apostle, on Bountyland Rd, in Seneca for Sunday Mass.. Just look for the 38' motor home.

We spend 2 weeks in Fair Play (Membership campground) then for our week out South Cove (Oconee County park in Seneca).

Stop in and say HI, better yet, Stop in to church and hear us sing (Wife and I both sing in the choir).
Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, I'm fond of telling folks there are THREE (Really 4) Ways to winterize a motor home (I never include parking it in a heated building, I mean, that is possible but costly)

Wet method: (Fill water lines with a chemical you have to flush out come sprint)
Dry: Fill water lines with air, use chemical only in drains and toilets, who cares about it there YOu are GOING to flush it out .. Eventually.. Via normal use)

And the "S" method. Seneca, SC is "S" enough for me.

Though I am currently in Michigan. As the weather gets colder, (Sometime around Halloween or Thanksgiving) I will show up, on Sundays, at St. Paul the Apostle, on Bountyland Rd, in Seneca for Sunday Mass.. Just look for the 38' motor home.

We spend 2 weeks in Fair Play (Membership campground) then for our week out South Cove (Oconee County park in Seneca).

Stop in and say HI, better yet, Stop in to church and hear us sing (Wife and I both sing in the choir).
So why would I need to "winterize" the pipes if I live in it full time?
Speaking of which, I noticed a water leak from outside under the bath tub. *SIGH

It's quite obvious someone has tried to redo the plumbing at one point. I've been busy with other things but I will post a pic of this MESS when I can. All I can do is shake my head and wonder why.....

I've lived in Ohio, my mom lives in Columbus and I lived in Painesville for a year. Also lived in Wisconsin AND Minnesota, so I know cold. October/ November here is the best weather. I am moving to Greenville next week before training for new job starts so I won't be in Seneca much after that but if you're here at the beginning of November I will be coming in to take care of a business who I do the monthly sales tax for. And the only day I will be able to do it is Sunday.
I know South Cove... Haven't personally camped there but I've driven through. ANd the place in Fairplay is that Chicasaw Point or Foxwood Hills? Two great RV places. I'm surprised you don't spend a couple days at Table Rock, the paddle boats are fun!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #24

Small spaces need small components!

Pix of the 4" pipes used!
Note the use of mixed materials.

The first and last pic are under the bath sink.
The middle two with the hot water heater is inside the kitchen cabinets.
I would like to mention that the bottom drawer in the kitchen does not close all the way because of the water heater. There is about a foot of space between the wall and the WH so there is enough room to move it back, even 2 inches would make a difference. I plan on building my own kitchen cabinets. Reconfiguring the flow of the kitchen, adding a bar and more counter space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom sink pipes.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	23305   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe works.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	23306  

Name:	more pipework.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	23307   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe joke.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	23308  

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #25

Took out the bath tub to look at the leak. Tub drain is cracked and two copper pipes were split. Here are a few pix of the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0132.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	23381   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0136.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	23382  

Name:	100_0139.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	23383  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #26

keep up the good work, its all work, but it'll be worth it when your done, you'll have your own home pretty much debt-free

there are lots of websites dedicated to refurbishing older campers like yours, so seek them out as well as advice of the others on this site. You’ll find that this site is full of very helpful people, and although most of us may be a little older than you now and may be driving or towing newer units than yours, it wasn’t all that long ago that we were in your position with our first rig, which was probably just as old as yours is. So I’m sure you’ll have plenty of help. Your rig is vintage enough that you may even run into somebody here that owned a similar rig when it was brand new and they can give you advice or information about it. The important thing is to get out there and have fun, if you need help just ask, but mainly keep entertaining us with your stories, you’re an excellent writer