Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #29

Thank you :-)

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #30

Unfortunately I must update this thread. I thought it was good enough the way it was. However the powers that be saw fit to blow a tree onto her Wednesday night during a near tornado like storm we endured. They say it was straight line winds, all of us locals say there was more to it. Anyway, here are some pics of the damage:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4204237545.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	24717   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-209257826.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	683.3 KB
ID:	24718  

Name:	image-1370225711.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	24719  

Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #31

Now being that my motto is: if it's broke, upgrade it! I find that everything has a reason also. So therefore upon rebuilding it, I feel it necessary to do some upgrading.
Our family consists of myself, wife and two youngsters, 2 1/2 and 1 year old.
The generous open living room floor plan it has is very nice but somewhat limiting at bedtime. We have only gotten to take it out twice this season for a total of 5 nights I think. We pawned a kid off on grandparents 4 of those 5. The 5th was a little awkward. I have a few different ideas to make it better for us especially in the future. Also if we have an additional guest or two, they would be in the living room or dinette with the kids which probably won't work out real well.

Idea 1: repair bedroom, remove the entertainment center up front and build bunks on the front curb side of living area. We don't really use or need the entertainment center but would hate to remove it just in case. So far it's been weekend trips. Later when we do week long trips we may want to watch a little tv.

Idea 2: convert it to a toy hauler. Would be easy enough at this point since the rear wall needs redone. However it's pointless as we have no toys to haul (cargo capacity is always welcome though) and toy haulers normally have fold down bunks in cargo bay. Haven't a good idea how to do a queen size bed. This idea is bottom of list, just not a good fit.

Idea 3: remove the couch up front, build a wall in slide out and matching wall between door and edge of kitchen counter with a pocket door to close it off when slide out is extended. Then put queen bed in slide out sideways to the trailer, making the bedroom in the front. This gives the master bedroom much more space, we get to keep the entertainment center which is a plus and it's in good location for this application. We would move the tall wardrobe and nightstand from rear to new front bedroom. Then turn the original rear bedroom into a kids room with bunks or a toddler bed and a crib for now and bunks later. Then the kids would have their own dedicated room to sleep and play in, and our bedroom would be larger and we could watch tv at night while kids are in bed. I really like this idea a lot! It wouldn't be the same without the large living room but I think overall it would be lots more family friendly. As a plus, if we had a guest, they could sleep on the dinette bed with a lot more privacy for all. Option B for kids room: divide it into two rooms. Just now came up with that, not sure if it's a good idea or not. They definitely would sleep better with additional privacy. The master bedroom is currently 8x8 I believe. 4x8 doesn't leave any room for playing so that's a real toss up and adds some complication.

Thoughts concerns and ideas appreciated!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #32

Sorry to hear about the damage to you TT. Like you, we have put a lot of time and effort in to a renovation of our motorhome and I could not imagine having something like this happening. I would cut the tree up and use it for fire wood on future camping trips, that'll show it!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #33

The black wheels are a nice touch.

I'm upgrading/ repairing, as needed, a 1994 27X Fleetwood. If you have the confidence, the skills develop as you go IMO.

Like a friend once told me, having the tools is 90% of it, you can figure out the rest.

Nice job BTW.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #34

Thank you-
The tree has become part of my future firewood stash :-D the landlord paid me $500 to remove the tree limb and dispose of it. I have about 2-3 hrs of work into that job and it's done.
The black wheels and spike lug nut caps are to match the truck which is white as well.

Finding some way to upgrade or improve the rig in rebuilding it helps give the task of repairing it more meaning and gives me motivation to get it done. Really leaning toward making the living room the master bedroom and turning the rear room into kids bunk room. If I had more time money and materials I would just convert it into a 5'er and build master bedroom suite on the front cab over portion and retain the living room but I'm a bit too limited on time and resources. Plus I have to do all the work outside.

Since cost is an issue, I think I will remove the damaged areas, rebuild the structure and patch the roof skin, and use a piece of aluminum sheet metal to re-skin the outside wall down to just above the window where the damage stops. That's the most economical way I can think to do it. The interior won't be a big deal since I am rearranging the room anyway. Trying to decide what to do with the large storage compartment under the current bed. Would like to keep it but not sure how yet. Will figure something out :-)

Keeping my head up! Gotta get this thing back on the road, got a trip end of September!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #35

Today's progress:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3241559898.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	24913  

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #36

Eric, does it ever seem like somebody is out to get you?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Eric, does it ever seem like somebody is out to get you?
Everyday buddy, everyday............... I'd been working a lot of overtime to save back some vacation money. Now it must be spent mending the beast. Oh well not looking like we will have a weekend off for the rest of the season anyway. I'm gonna be turning 80 hours this week if not more. Keep buying those Cummins powered Rams people! My RV needs the money lol

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #38

I could NOT believe what happened to you and your TT :(

Gotta say though that your attitude about the whole thing has been as impressive as the work you've done to your camper! Can't wait to see the progress of the new floor plan.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #39

Thanks for the encouragement! I didn't take it very well at first. I've been through a lot in the last couple years and have developed an attitude of "roll with it" as a friend/previous boss says. Don't have time to be negative (funny thing is he's always being negative lol)

The wife convinced me to leave the floor plan alone for at least the rest of this season. Probably only gonna get to take it out one or two more weekends this year and very little time to repair it before then. Maybe over winter I will think again about redoing the floor plan.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #40

Tree crushed Remodeled trailer

I am so sorry for what happened to your trailer. Suggestion: pay for a good RV cover suited for the climate you live in. Maybe the landlord has ins. See if his policy will pay for your dammages. If you rip out any walls to the fiberglass use bondo by 3M in the inside of your fiberglass. This way it will seal up any pin holes. Use Lexell caulk in all of your repairs. Buy at Ace hardwear or online. I have done a restoration on my 1990 25ft. HiLo trailer. If you have any questions just ask me.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #41

Thank you, and thanks for the suggestions on the sealants. No ones insurance covered it kind of complicated, but anyway..
Restoring a Hi-Lo would be interesting. I still see one every now and then usually in parking lot or going down road, rarely actually seen one set up.
I made some more progress today on the tear down:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2039747351.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	561.4 KB
ID:	24978   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1489677418.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	24979  

Name:	image-2824457725.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	24980   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1839859502.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	24981  

Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #42

Picking up a 3 year old non ducted ac unit tomorrow for cheap! Gonna put it in bedroom in place of old mangled vent. Will shorten the duct for bedroom vent from front unit so if rear goes down or only have enough power for one, can still cool room or can close it off when running both. I already have dual power cords and currently run my ducted unit off of secondary 20 amp cable, to free up existing 30 amp circuit for water heater microwave etc. now I'll just have one ac run off primary circuit and the other off the auxiliary circuit.