Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #57

Love the pics! Can't put a price on some things. This is a trailer you and your family will talk about for years to come

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #58

Thank you :-)

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #59

Just came across this today. The amount of work done is really impressive. No matter how long you keep it you now know the big picture when it comes to re-doing a trailer. Many great candidates out there (don't forget the aluminum Airstream types, either) if in the future you want to try something else (see Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community, the sister site for hours of great resto threads).

By the way, many of us who keep TT's in humid climates run a dehumidifier when the trailer is in storage (sometimes when in use). It's a great way to keep the thing dried out at all times. May take a week or more to get the humidity down, then run-time is short when set with humidistat.

I see you also have the "right" truck (ha! on other brand owners).

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
+1 on the humidifier.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #61

In the Phx summer, I put a 5 gallon bucket full of water in my MH to keep the wood from drying out.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #62

Thanks Rednax, I always will only have the right tow truck its down right now getting a new ring and pinion. 367,000 much of which was heavy towing 30,000# combined gross or more, seems to have worn out the Dana 80 (which is nothing to sneeze at, the pinion gear/shaft is every bit as big as a turkey leg lol, 11.5" ring gear. Big heavy stuff!)

I like the aluminum shell of an airstream very much but after having one with a slide out I don't think I could go without!

LOL Dunner here you can wring the water out of the air with your bare hands it is so humid at times. We only have humidifiers for when we are sick???? Most people have to use dehumidifiers in the basements of S&B's to keep mold and mildew down.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #63

I have an idea, if you ever decide to remodel the tip out. How about a Murphy Bed? You can buy the mechanisms

Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #64

Due to a separation and soon to be divorce, the Starcraft is up for sale. I don't need or want this big of a rig for just me and the kids are realistically too young for a single dad to take camping, they are a bit young to really enjoy it. Also need the money for other things and don't need to give away half when I can sell whole if you know what I mean. I don't know what it is worth this time of year but I have someone interested in it.

I might get a slide in truck camper afterward but for no more than I will be doing I will likely rig up something in the bed cap on my truck. Been playing around with some ideas there.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v View Post
Due to a separation and soon to be divorce, the Starcraft is up for sale. I don't need or want this big of a rig for just me and the kids are realistically too young for a single dad to take camping, .
Very sorry to hear this. As nice as it is I imagine you'll get just about what you put into it right back out of it... maybe more. Offer it high and open up the "or best offer"

Best wishes... I hope everything works out.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Aw no. I've been following this thread quite a while and boy you've done some great work and been hit with some tough setbacks, the most recent revelation of course being the worst, but you seem like a tough SOB that gets on with life as challenges present themselves. Fair play.

I'll look forward to the new refurb thread on your downsized rig.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #67

Thanks y'all. I have a buyer coming tomorrow with cash in hand. A darn fair price for this time of year. A bit more than I have in it but probably not enough to replace it with anything that would compare. That's to be expected.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #68

It is sold. I will miss it on one hand, but glad someone will be using it and glad to know I am getting my money back out of it and then some, and glad I don't have to worry about putting anymore money into it ever again. I have received payment in full, she even paid me extra to deliver it an hour and a half away this weekend.

If I replace it with anything smaller I don't think it will be for a while with everything else going on in my life right now. I probably won't be on the forum until then. So good bye for now and thanks to all for the advice and support and helping hands!

Eric

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #69

I have maintained contact with the new owner of the trailer and so far he is very pleased with it. I must mention that he purchased it for and uses it for temporary housing while he is going through a divorce, so he is living full time in it. So for him to tell me he is very pleased with it, while he lives in it every single day, to me that is a great compliment.

Now, I did let on that I might get a truck camper next.... and I did drag one home today. Here is the link for the build thread on that... it's going on hold until the weather gets better. I haven't even started on it yet, and I know I can fix it easily enough, but the idea of building my own from scratch has already formed LOL.... I just prefer things done MY WAY .....

But for now I'm going to fix this one up and use it, see what I like and don't like about a truck camper, and use it until one day I have a better budget and place to build one. I would need to learn to tig weld, when I build one it would be all aluminum frame. I would build it where leaks would be less likely and possible than the normal wood constructed units, but also be built to where if it did leak, there would be hardly anything for the water to damage (this presents a new problem though, if it leaks, how will you know? LOL)

Anyway, for now, if you like to follow my adventures, tune in at: New project/1st TC rig....

Remember it will be a while before there are much large/important updates but I may do some small interior things here n there. I know the toilet gasket needs replaced and the flush valve seemed froze up. I will be re-doing many things on this unit, some I will not do until after the roof and some can be done in the meantime....

Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #70

WOW!! What an excellent build. Both times! You have done a great job. Thanks for sharing!