Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

My review on Rodman Dam Sate Park

Day 1:

We left the house around 4:15,we didn't hit too much traffic on I-95.We arrived at the campsite around 5:45 and let me tell you there was alot of people already there when we arrived.But luckly so far we only had one neighbor,well atleast for now.Then we headed out to go get somehting to eat,didn't feel like cooking anything.Plus we needed to go to wal-mart to just get a few thing's.Afterward's we went back to the campsite to settle in for the night.

Day 2:

Well we woke up early about 8:15 or should i say our boy's woke us up.Hubby started cooking breakfast then we got ready to head out for the day.We did have plan's to go to Silver Spring's but decided against it.So we drove around Ocala and eventually we just went to Lowe's,Camping World,and Target,i know excited place's to go huh lol.There was just not that much to do around there.So we headed back to the campsite and if there was a anything we saw on the way we would stop and do.But not alot to choose from,we did find a back way to our campsite through a road that head's to a little campground called camp Delancey,i believe.As we followed the dirt road we came out by the sand dune's and came upon the dam.There was a few people fishing there,plus a few boat's had gone out as well.

My husband said that we would come back and fish after we ate lunch.So headed back to the dam after we ate to go fish.And on the way finding a spot to fish we noticed a gator swimming in the water.

We didn't really fish for long,we werent' catching much of anything.So we headed back to the campsite to settle in to watch a movie and eat dinner afterwards.

Day 3:

I'll start off by saying my husband let me sleep in while he cooked breakfast for our boy's.But not a moment to soon my husband came running in the travel trailer to wake me up to find something on his burn.While he was cooking bacon he spilled hot grease down his leg.

I found an ice pack for him to put on it.After we ate i called my mother-in-law to see when her and my father0in-law were coming out to see us.They eventually made it out but by the time they got to the campsite it was lunch time.So afterward's the boy's went fishing while me and my mother-in-law went to the store to pick up a few thing's for our camper.When we got back we just sat around the campsite and talked.

Day 4:

It was around 8:30 when we got up and we started packing everything up to head home.But come to find out when we were hooking up our electric plug to the truck our wire had been pinched some how so we had no trailer brake's or signal's.But we did stop at wal-mart to get a few tool's to fix it.My husband fixed it somewhat we had trailer brake's but no turn signal's.I told him i didn't care just as long as we had trailer brake's.So we headed home and arrived around 11:30.We backed the trailer in and fixed the signal's we just had blown a fuse and just needed to replace them,so now we have signal's for the next time we go out.

Info on the Campsite:

1.Our spot was number 66 it was a good size but it was a little uneven,but it worked out ok.

2.Not much to do around the park beside's go down to the dam and fish.Or if you have a boat you could launch it out of the boat ramp.Now if you want or need to go to the store you could go and hour one way or about 10 mile's the other way.

3.Lot's of mosquitos so bring plenty of repellent and these thing's were huge and when i say huge i mean you could make out the detail's on them.But i'm sure if you came there in the winter time it wouldn't be so bad.

4.For wildlife you'll probably see a deer,fox,and if your lucky a black bear.And if you go fishing you will definetly see gator's.

5.It does get really dark and it get's really quiet at night all you hear are the frog's croaking.

Random Photo's:

campingmom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

Ouch! Kids and Rodman dam, not unless they are avid fishermen or sportsmen going to Ocala national Forrest. I can't see the pictures on my phone, will look tonight. Hope you had fun. Walmart in Palatka should have been 20 minutes north on 19.
Next time try Salt Springs Resorts or the other campgrounds around Salt Springs. There is swimming and fishing at these campgrounds. Some privately owned, some government run state or national Parks. Look them up on the net. The Resort has a strip mall with restaurants and shops and the ranger station is there too - acessable from the street publicly or from the campground by foot. They may have a pool too. Closer to Silver Springs too.
Other kid friendly camping close to Jax by about the same distance you traveled would be the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park. Web site is 'musicliveshere.com'. Pool, Frisbee golf, miniature golf, cafe for breakfast and lunch, and dining hall for dinner and entertainment. Lots of trails for hiking, biking, and riding golf carts. Multiple bat houses to watch them come out at dark - largest bat population in one area, means less bugs!
Ginnie Springs is nice too. Blue Springs (several in Florida by this name) just east of Ginnie is fun, but has a long bumpy dirt road for an entrance. Both are near High Springs Florida. I have been to these 4 I mentioned and like them.
Also, a little farther west in Madison Florida is Jellystone park. Looks very kid friendly! LOL! Haven't been yet.
I spend a little time researching on the net and find some great campgrounds.
Keep the kids happy for the best camping experiences.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Ouch! Kids and Rodman dam, not unless they are avid fishermen or sportsmen going to Ocala national Forrest. I can't see the pictures on my phone, will look tonight. Hope you had fun. Walmart in Palatka should have been 20 minutes north on 19.
Next time try Salt Springs Resorts or the other campgrounds around Salt Springs. There is swimming and fishing at these campgrounds. Some privately owned, some government run state or national Parks. Look them up on the net. The Resort has a strip mall with restaurants and shops and the ranger station is there too - acessable from the street publicly or from the campground by foot. They may have a pool too. Closer to Silver Springs too.
Other kid friendly camping close to Jax by about the same distance you traveled would be the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park. Web site is 'musicliveshere.com'. Pool, Frisbee golf, miniature golf, cafe for breakfast and lunch, and dining hall for dinner and entertainment. Lots of trails for hiking, biking, and riding golf carts. Multiple bat houses to watch them come out at dark - largest bat population in one area, means less bugs!
Ginnie Springs is nice too. Blue Springs (several in Florida by this name) just east of Ginnie is fun, but has a long bumpy dirt road for an entrance. Both are near High Springs Florida. I have been to these 4 I mentioned and like them.
Also, a little farther west in Madison Florida is Jellystone park. Looks very kid friendly! LOL! Haven't been yet.
I spend a little time researching on the net and find some great campgrounds.
Keep the kids happy for the best camping experiences.
I never said in my review that we didn't have a good time.Well it only took us 10 minute's to get there my husband can knock off about 5 or 10 minute's when he drive's.As for salt spring's we checked that out too didn't care for it,it look's more like a community than a campground.We have already camped at suwannee a few time's already so we know what to expect there,and we don't really care for it as much.Now as for ginnie spring's i went there when i was a kid so i know what they have there.But we haven't been to any of the blue spring's or jellystone park but we do have them on our list to do.I also do alot of researching on my computer we pick what suit's us at the time.Like in about 2 week's we are going to be going to Tomoka state park because my husband has to go to school for his work in Daytona so we figure that's the only way we can get in a camping trip while he's in school by going to one that is near by.Plus we have one planned for our 10th anniversary in october to go to Lake Lousia now i have heard and read that it is a really nice place to camp.
campingmom5 is offline   Reply With Quote