Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I used to have one of those little blue honey pots. I was dumping the black tank from my 5th wheel into it once. Something went wrong. Very wrong.

I hooked up my sewer hose to the inlet on the blue tank and removed the little black hose outlet cover. You had to do that to let air out of the tank as it was filling up or you didn't get a proper drain action. So, I had everything hooked up, ready to go.

I pulled the drain valve in my 5th wheel. The valve opened and the rod and handle broke off in my hand. The black valve in the 5th wheel was in the center of the camper, attached with a long 3 foot rod, covered by the belly of the camper. I couldn't stop the flow.

It became clear that something bad was about to happen. I reached for the hose cap to plug the garden hose outlet but I was too late. Poo began shooting straight up in the air

I did what anybody with any sense would do. I ran.

I'd prefer not to discuss this mess and how it ruined my weekend.
Great one! Had a similar "RV" dumping episode at home while emptying the gray water, I thought. Only thing to do is shut the valve and screw on the garden hose cap and wash EVERYTHING with soap and bleach water from the real gray water tank!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I used to have one of those little blue honey pots. I was dumping the black tank from my 5th wheel into it once. Something went wrong. Very wrong.

I hooked up my sewer hose to the inlet on the blue tank and removed the little black hose outlet cover. You had to do that to let air out of the tank as it was filling up or you didn't get a proper drain action. So, I had everything hooked up, ready to go.

I pulled the drain valve in my 5th wheel. The valve opened and the rod and handle broke off in my hand. The black valve in the 5th wheel was in the center of the camper, attached with a long 3 foot rod, covered by the belly of the camper. I couldn't stop the flow.

It became clear that something bad was about to happen. I reached for the hose cap to plug the garden hose outlet but I was too late. Poo began shooting straight up in the air

I did what anybody with any sense would do. I ran.

I'd prefer not to discuss this mess and how it ruined my weekend.

I did the exact same thing with the grey water only I wasn't smart enough to get out of the way while I was talking to my buddy.......and I got drenched with the grey water in 90+ deg. temps.
I do believe that stuff smells just as bad as the black after it's been sitting in the heat.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

my wife and I use campgrounds rest rooms for showers and solid waste so we can go 5 plus days before the grey water needs tending. I purchased a 5 gal heavy duty plastic tank. There are sewer line caps with a threaded end for flushing outs. I use a short piece of hose on that cap and drain the grey water (about 4 1/2 gal at a time) and truck it to the dump. This give us 10 to 14 days before we need to go to a dump station
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
We rarely stay anywhere 10 days but when we do, I disconnect and go to the dump station. I like shaking the tanks up a bit before dumping so solids dont stay behind and cause trouble later. I know it is a hassle, but not that bad. We usually can go 5 days before dumping if we are careful with gray water.
Dave1956 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #19

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Well if it were me I would spring for a portable macerator pump. Trying to dump a black tank into a smaller portable tank could get real messy real fast. Not something you want to deal with. At least with a macerator you can turn it on and off and avoid that huge rush when you open the dump valve.......
X2 on the mascerator pump. Helps keep thing under control. You can even put the portable tank in the truck and pump up into it - that avoids trying to pull the tank with its flimsy wheels over uneven ground (or sand in your case). When you get to the dump station you can either discharge by gravity or use the mascerator again.

Another useful item is one of these Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive

If you have one of these twist off valves on your main discharge, you can still shut things down if one of the other valves gets stuck or breaks. Also lets you back-flush the gray water back into the black tank to help rinse it out.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I concur with Njs. Why bother with all that hassle and worry regarding water useage and tank capacity. Use the ammenities provided by the park. Doing it caveman style can be fun and worry free. Just rock it old school and have a great time over there in the lone star state!