My wife, our 3 cats and I fulltime in our '92 Dutchmen 30FK while we are in school. I did a lot of remodeling in our previous rv ('78 Tioga), so it is nothing new to me.
I spent this weekend doing some large updates.
The previous owner removed the original bed frame and put in a crappy standard full-size bed. We discarded that and put our queen from storage in (September). As the only exterior storage compartment is under the bed, I wanted to rebuild it.
Original carpet + our queen bed
Bed out, carpet out, all the lumber in
Starting the framing. Used 2x3's. Lighter than 2x4's, but sturdy enough to be completely stable :]
All framed in except for by the back wall
Storage compartments enclosed
Including a compartment that will not be visible should anyone break in :]
This is not finished, of course.
Top boards layed down. They are not attached, yet. I will have the gas springs in tomorrow. Kind of a pain at the moment. If you bump the bed, everything shifts. Still sturdy.
The top sticks out at the foot and extra 3 inches, thanks to the vent, but is flush on the sides.
Brand new mattress on, one of our cats had to check it out.
All set up. All of our cats approve
I still have to put paneling on and stain/varnish. I also have to finish the hidden compartment and put the gas springs on. That will be this upcoming weekend.
I am a man of my word, though. I promised my wife we would only have to endure the fold down couch for one night, and that is what happened :]
Our entertainment setup has been lacking, to say the least. It doesn't match up, and takes up a bunch of walking space. There is the stock "entertainment center" on the right, with our regular one from storage on the left. Something had to be done.
Sorry for the pictures on this one. I wanted to get it done, and didn't pause to take pictures. As you can tell, my wife took a few snapshots during the build. As with the bed, everything was done inside, cutting and all. RV parks tend to frown on major remodels that bother other campers.
As you can see, cluttered and takes up space
Got the first level put in, and test-fitting the second level. It is designed to rest on the wheel well (with other support, even though it isn't heavy).
*Note: Ignore the socks lol. They are now in the trash.
Building up the enclosed area that covers the wheel well and new stereo
The finished product for the moment
Still need to put paneling on, putty the screw holes, and stain/varnish. Yet again, another project for next weekend.
I then need to put new flooring in. New carpet/padding through most of the rv, and new flooring in the kitchen. We will also be removing the wallpaper on the upper half of the walls and painting.
I also removed all of the tacky brass handles in the TT and replaced them with oil-brushed bronze handles a while back. I also installed new faucets in the kitchen and bathroom (basic ones, although the one in the bathroom has led lighting). When we purchased the TT, it needed a new toilet, so we put in a Dometic china bowl.
Will post update photos after the next step.