Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Mystery odor in 2007 Outback bathroom

We have had a dead fish odor in the bathroom only of our 2007 Keystone Outback 28RSDS for about 3 weeks now. Tanks have both been flushed and cleaned multiple times and we still had the smell in the bathroom. We came back from being gone for Thanksgiving for a week and the odor has now permeated the rest of the trailer. My husband turned off the AC while we were gone and cracked the vent in the bathroom, so we’re not sure if the smell has spread or if it just “escaped” the bathroom while we were gone. We opened up all the vents and left for several hours and it was still pretty bad when we came back.

Any ideas what this could be or where we should start? I think it might be electrical in the wall of the bathroom but it doesn’t get stronger when lights or water heater are on and doesn’t dissipate when power is cut. It doesn’t smell fishy coming from any of the sinks, the shower, or the toilet when flushed. It was less strong when it got really cold here but it was 79 today and it’s super stinky!
CSmith81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Humm, the simple thing to try with a 20% chance of working would be to put the yellow/orange tablets in the bathroom sink to deodorize the trap. Also do the kitchen sink. I am not sure what they are called but they are called 'sink deodorizer' or something like that.

It is something to try and might fix your odor problem.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

Under the bathroom sink inside the cabinet most likely is an Air Admittance Valve on the sink drain line after the 'P' trap (AAV)

It OPENS when dumping grey tank so that prevent negative pressure in sink drain line which would suck the water out of the 'P' trap

They are cheap...and fail ---stay open
Grey water can be nastier smelling then black

Can purchase replacement at hardware stores......same cheap one or better ones
Just hand tight...no wrenches required

To test if that is where smell is coming from just tape an air tight bag over the AAV and see if smell goes away
If it does.....replace the AAV

If still got the smell----check the battery.

If overcharged or bad cell----they stink also
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #4

Old Biscuit has given you some good advice. If his advice doesn't help identify the problem, please let us know.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #5

Once you solve the issue could you post back and let everyone know what it was? Thanks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

Definitely not the drain vents.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anyone used rat poison around the trailer lately? I guess the dead fish description could be from a mouse that died in the wall. You confused me with the "electrical" comment though.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

I read somewhere that a burning wire cover can have a fishy odor, so I was suspicious of that. But turning off the breaker to the bathroom and water heater doesn’t change the smell.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Unhappy Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Anyone used rat poison around the trailer lately? I guess the dead fish description could be from a mouse that died in the wall. You confused me with the "electrical" comment though.
I agree. Dead fish odor can be a dead fish, but more likely is a dead animal.
My Kodiak Cub has many large closed spaces in the cabin. The spaces make great winter homes for small animals. I would start near where you first smelled it. Mice are about the size of a golf ball. The can often squeeze through a hole as small as a pencil. They can be hard to see in dark places. Unscrew, carefully pry panels off or get someone with finishing skills to do it for you.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #10

After 3 weeks a 'dead animal' smell should have gone away not get stronger and permeate the rest of trailer

Have you checked the battery?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

A bad toilet seal can allow the stinky water to get behind it and produce nasty smells in the living space.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Have you located/fixed the source of the stink?

Tags
odor