Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

Necessary to level?

We have a Gulfstream Amerilite 21MB. Is it absolutely necessary to level it if we're comfortable with a small unevenness and are only spending 1 night?
Serendipity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

If it's only one night, an it pretty level, I usually don't worry about it. But if it's way off level it could effect your electric/gas refrigerator. Also could cause problems with not being able to dump effectively your waste tanks.
Ocletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Welcome to this club!

I don't know about you RV, but it is necessary to get mine fairly level if I expect my refrigerator &/or water heater to work correctly.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Not only all the above but if you have slides it's best to level up it can cause BIG problems.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
A lot depends on the rigidity of the frame. If we're just overnighting, many times I'll leave the 5th wheel hitched to the truck and won't even run the stabilizers down. Our rig has a 15" boxed rectangular steel frame, so the slideouts function fine with the stabilizers up or down, but if there's significant frame flexure, slideouts might tend to stick or hang in their openings.

Generally speaking, if the RV is level enough to walk around in comfortably, the fridge will be OK for 1 night.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

If all you talking about is the difference between throwing a piece of 1x6 under the tire then I wouldn't worry about it. I know when I travel in the mtns here in Oregon my 5'er may seem level but in reality it's easily 3/4" out of level every time I turn. And the constant ups and downs from bumps in the road keep it far from level. And I run with the fridge on everywhere I go.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #7

If your shower is the type is a bathtub combo., if not level and you use the shower, water can run onto the floor depending on which way it tilts.

If you've been driving all day and you are tired and hungry, and DW and kids( if you have kids) are pretty cranky, the last thing you want to do is stop and spend time to level your trailer...... As long as you don't roll off the bed, it's fine! Speaking from experience here and I only travel with a DW!
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #8

I always level it out. Even overnight stops I will level it to keep the fridge running effectively. It really doesn't take more than a couple minutes to check the level, pull forward, and toss a board or two under the tires.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My bed is in a slide, and the foot of it goes under an overhang when its closed. I'm 6'3" tall, so I must extend the slide, or sleep with my feet in the closet. My understanding is, it's best (required?) to be level when extending the slides.

So short answer for ME is, yes it is necessary to level for an overnight stay.

Your situation may be different. If I didn't have the above requirement, I would not feel the need to level as long as I was reasonably level.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #10

Thanks - since our Amerilite is only 21' and has no slides, I'm assuming it's OK not to level it if it's only slightly off-level, and we are comfortable. It's brand new, and they told us at the dealership that the appliances would run fine without being perfectly level. We're newbies, and it's all we can do to get it backed in and unhooked!
Serendipity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

I've read that the newer fridges run fine if out of level and you don't have to worry about it.

In our old TT, a 2010 model, we were out of level once and the fridge would not work for anything. We thought it was faulty. Tried suggestions after asking on a forum and nothing helped. When we moved to a new location, it was fine and we never had a problem again.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If one night I generally leave it hitched and close to level.

My driveway has quite a pitch to it, when I'm prepping to go I'll leave my fridge on and it works great when not even close to level, I'm talking 12" - 18" pitch down in front with no issues for the fridge. I also leave it running while driving.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chechako View Post
Thanks - since our Amerilite is only 21' and has no slides, I'm assuming it's OK not to level it if it's only slightly off-level, and we are comfortable. It's brand new, and they told us at the dealership that the appliances would run fine without being perfectly level. We're newbies, and it's all we can do to get it backed in and unhooked!
They told you right! As Rusty said, if it is level enough to be comfortable in, it's level enough for the frig to work right. The refrigerator limits for being level are 3 degrees side to side, and 6 degrees front to back, as looking at the frig door. From that it's easy to calculate the inches out of level that's safe for YOUR trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #14

I prefer to unhitch for one reason....if there is an emergency where I need to get somewhere in my vehicle quickly, I don't have to worry about anything related to the trailer. I may be a little over cautious in this, but even if I've stopped overnight with a minimal set-up, it doesn't take that long to hitch-up in the morning. And if I've only unhitched and pulled the vehicle slightly forward...it's really a "no brainer" to get connected.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote