Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Need a new battery for my travel trailer

I have done a little research on deep cycle batteries for my travel trailer.
Last year I bought a standard acid/lead plate deep cycle battery at Walmart.
I upgraded from a group 24 to a group 27 size (bigger is better) ?
It was made by interstate and had a one year free replacement warranty.
On two occasions it discharged down to near nothing when not in use for 4 or 5 days. It was the end of the camping season so I returned the battery to Walmart and insisted on a full refund...no problem.

I am going to have a local RV dealership's service department check out my electrical system and converter before I install a new battery.

I have decided to try an AGM Deep Cycle battery with a 100 AH rating from Amazon at just over $200 ....it is an "Exide" brand battery with a two year replacement warranty in group 31 size (bigger is better ?).

Is this the best way to go ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
both of those batteries are excellent upgrades. I'll assume from what you said that this was a sudden unexplained discharge and not just a lot of extra load. Make sure that your battery is not discharging into some unknown load by disconnecting the neg. term. and taking a V reading. 5 days later take another reading. At any outdoor temperature over 40f you should have the same reading or just slightly less in 5 days. The fully charged first reading could be 12.6 or so and the 5 day resting reading could be 12.2. If it's down to 11.6 or so the batt. is not holding a charge possibly due to a bad cell if new or sulphation, if older.(If it was showing a high discharge while connected to the rv, then you know it is some parasitic load in the RV).
Lead acid flooded batts do best when they are cycled rather than being kept up to full charge all the time by a built in charger/converter, so occasionally let it get down to say 11.6 and then let the charger at it again. Don't discharge it completely as that is hard on them. Don't charge it on a fast portable charger as that is hard on them too. No more than say 15a on charge if you are charging with a portable charger. The built in chargers are smart and they can do little to no harm.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

You need to install a disconnect switch in the battery cable. There is always a small draw on the battery and it will discharge. The factory was too cheap to install one. Turn off the newly installed switch as soon as the trailer is disconnected from the tow vehicle or shore power.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A solar panel and charge controller can charge a battery and keep it in top shape. Could help keep that expensive AGM battery good and healthy for a long time, and will do it without a lot of intervention on your part and silently.

I bought a FullRiver 115 Amp/hr AGM battery from Discount Solar in Quartzsite AZ for $215 IIRC. Other than it weighing what can seem like a ton, it has been a great battery.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #5

CO alarm, Propane Alarm, fridge circuit board, stereo/dvd memory, are some of the "phantom loads" that are always on, sometimes the co and propane alarm bypass the disconnect switch.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #6

FYI

I just installed two 6v batteries, new battery boxes, cables, and upgraded the cables to the trailer with larger gauge for $250 total from my local dealer. I think that is cheaper than I could have done it myself frankly.

The amp hour rating on each 6 volt battery is 232ah, that is each so I guess I have 464 amp hours at my disposal. The batteries are Interstates so I used good quality stuff. I had a single 120ah Group 24 Interstate battery and it wouldn't make it through the night running just the fridge. I should be good from now on.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
The amp hour rating on each 6 volt battery is 232ah, that is each so I guess I have 464 amp hours at my disposal.
Nope.

When you have to double the voltage, you cannot also get double the amp/hrs. You can't do both without spending some pretty big bucks on some bigger batteries.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 03-05-2016, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
FYI

I just installed two 6v batteries, new battery boxes, cables, and upgraded the cables to the trailer with larger gauge for $250 total from my local dealer. I think that is cheaper than I could have done it myself frankly.

The amp hour rating on each 6 volt battery is 232ah, that is each so I guess I have 464 amp hours at my disposal. The batteries are Interstates so I used good quality stuff. I had a single 120ah Group 24 Interstate battery and it wouldn't make it through the night running just the fridge. I should be good from now on.
The Tiger,,, You double the volts but the amp hours will stay the same. That's why its important to match the batteries exactly. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Ok. Well regardless still better and I think pretty good deal for $250
Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

Buy the best, biggest battery you can, then invest in a proper converter/charger. THe best is:

4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters

Happy travels!

cruzbill is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, travel, travel trailer