Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Need advice on Lance vs. ORV

My wife and I are closing in on a decision on which TT to purchase. We have a 2002 F250 with the 7.2l diesel for our TV. We live in Colorado and will be retiring in about 6 months. We plan to get out and travel for days to weeks to months at a time. We trend more towards national forest and BLM boondocking than campgrounds, but also want to be able to visit lots of national parks.

We are currently looking at the ORV Mountain series 24RKS vs. the Lance 2375. Both are 4-season, well constructed TT's with rear living rooms built for couples. The GVW on the ORV is nearly 10,000 lbs, while the Lance runs a svelte 7,000 fully loaded.

My TV can handle either one. I understand we will burn more fuel pulling the ORV. The ORV is about $5,000 cheaper and has lots more storage.

My question is how much will that extra 3,000 lbs affect our ability to go places? Will we have more trouble getting through rough spots on forest roads? Will we be more likely to get stuck?

Are there other weight considerations I have not thought of?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Dr Dean
Dr Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

You camp like we do and we chose an ORV over a Lance for several reasons.

Our ORV has 15" wheels vs 14" for the Lance. I forget the measurements but the ORV had better ground clearance. I was done buying Lite trailers - even though Lance builds a quality product it is still a lightweight trailer not really intended for FS roads and BLM offroading. JMHO and I have seen Lance trailers in some out-of-the-way places but I wonder about their longevity under those conditions.

That leads to your actual question about towing and accessibility issues with your camping style. I know the conventional wisdom is to plan on the trailer weighing its max gross weight loaded for a trip, but you would have to bulk out that ORV with bowling balls to get it up to 10K lbs.

That being said, the ORV will weigh more than the Lance with similar gear loaded but as long as you don't exceed your truck's payload and rear axle rating I don't think the extra weight will limit your camping choices. After all, that extra weight is mostly from a beefier frame and wall, ceiling and floor structure which is what you want washboarding your way deep into a National Forest and then using all your leveling blocks and emergency cribbing to get your trailer level at that site with the beautiful view that your wife picked out. If your style was to stay more on the beaten path lite weight would be fine, but you have described a style that ORVs are built for.

On the plus side for the Lance is the Azdel instead of luan behind the fiberglass. I think the Torsionflex axles are good, although the ORV off road suspension package does a great job too. The Lance interiors seem very well done and I like their color choices. The ORVs are like a nicely done cabin or lakehouse whereas the Lances reminded me of a comfortable suburban living room.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Both are good well built TT. We were contemplating these two brands last fall. We went with the Lance and are very happy with it. To be honest it was the easier towing for our 1/2 ton truck which swung our decision. It flows behind the truck very smoothly at only 11% tongue weight, leaving payload to load up the truck bed. The Lance has a lot more engineering that goes into their TT. No trim pieces, and everything fits together like a glove. The step up slide I am not a fan of. Besides that no complaints.

FS roads can be brutal and the Lance has no issues with them. But I do travel slow. I can tell you that Lance owners love getting off the beaten path.

No doubt the ORV are taller (about 15”),heavier, and beefier. But my personal preference is to be lower to the ground. Scissors jacks are not fully extended, and low hanging trees would be more of a worry. Ground clearance has not been an issue on my 1995, but I guess it could be a concern on a longer trailer.

No trailer is made for any off-trail use. If this is your intention you may want to look at a truck camper. But the extra weight shouldn’t be an issue with the ORV.

I would take your time and sit in both for extended periods. Go with the one you feel more comfortable with. ORV with it’s taller ceiling has a more roomier feel. That and their larger tank capacity is huge pluses.

Shop around which ever model you decide. I’ve had my Lance now for almost a year and hasn’t been back to the shop once. Plus they both have great customer service when it comes to warranty work. Go where they’ll give you a good deal.

Good luck on your decision.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I looked at both pretty seriously before we bought our ORV. We also do the same type of camping you described. The deciding factors for us were:

1. Beefier frame

2. Bigger tanks for extended time boondocking

3. Better ground clearance

4. Good insulation and double pane windows (Lance may have those now)
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
sent you a pm..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Thanks for the great input!

Hitch weight vs truck payload is an issue I had not considered so far. Some day that 2002 F250 is going to retire, and we may end up going with a lighter truck, like the 3.6l Ecoboost.

The ORV 24RKS has a dry hitch weight of 880 lbs, the Lance 2375 hitch weight is 550 lbs.

Is dry hitch weight a reliable measure? Or is there some way to translate hitch weight from dry to loaded trailer?

Also, is there a reasonable way to get more ground clearance on the Lance?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #7

Sounds like you want the Lance, but have some qualms...just go with your gut. Either one will do. Personally, when purchasing and trying to decide between the same two brands, we chose the ORV for reasons well articulated above. In fact, had we picked the Lance, we would not have needed to purchase a new TV. Have zero regrets.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
Hitch weight vs truck payload is an issue I had not considered so far...

Is dry hitch weight a reliable measure? Or is there some way to translate hitch weight from dry to loaded trailer?
Is dry hitch weight a reliable measure? No. My recommendation is to go over to the owners forums and ask current owners for their loaded tongue weights.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
Sounds like you want the Lance, but have some qualms...just go with your gut. Either one will do. Personally, when purchasing and trying to decide between the same two brands, we chose the ORV for reasons well articulated above. In fact, had we picked the Lance, we would not have needed to purchase a new TV. Have zero regrets.
You are right, I'm leaning towards the Lance, but my wife is in love with the ORV. It sounds like the ORV is much better insulated, and clearly has more storage space. But, it seems that the Lance is lighter and tighter. (CNC machining, Azdel, etc.)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

I love the Lance 2375 but would hesitate to own one for the same reasons you state. There have been complaints about that frame on the longer models. It does sit closer to the ground which is an issue on longer trailers. If it was a pavement princess, I'd probably opt for the Lance, otherwise ORV all the way.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Most of the Lance trailers come with a stock 2 5/8” lift, but it is an option. On the Lance owners forum some have done up to a 7” lift, but to be honest I think it looks a little goofy. Not many Lance owners on this forum, as they have their own. I have the stock lift on my 1995, and I wouldn’t want it any higher.

The hitch weight on ORV’s usually will run 15% of the GVW. On the Lance you’ll be around 13%. But that will depend on how you load it.

Obviously Lance would be an easier towing trailer. But ORV does have a better feel on the interior. Personally, I would still go with the one you feel better in. You could always upgrade your TV to a F250, because like many ORV’s have done they still love their trailer.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK, you decide. Go sit in them for at least an hour each and be looking where you are going to put stuff. Then be thinking about being in there for 2 days while it rains outside. Buy the one you would like to be in. If you have ever considered a toyhauler type for camping, ORV has a new line to look at on their suite in future builds.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyw View Post
I love the Lance 2375 but would hesitate to own one for the same reasons you state. There have been complaints about that frame on the longer models. It does sit closer to the ground which is an issue on longer trailers. If it was a pavement princess, I'd probably opt for the Lance, otherwise ORV all the way.
That is an excellent point and pertinent to the OP's intended use. Now that I think about it, the ORV and Lance were next to each other on one of the lots we visited and I remember looking at how close to the ground the Lance's dump valve was. We had issues a couple of times with our previous trailer, a Nash with flipped axles, when trying to use hookups in more rugged places. They sometimes raise them (perhaps for snow or flooding?). No way the Lance could have dumped there and, as we all know, poop travels downhill I told my wife we'd have to lift it if we went with the Lance. She preferred the ORV anyway.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #14

Lance went to a stronger, frame in the 2016.5 models. With the factory lift those complaints have been resolved.

The height on my dump valves are more than adequate. Plus easy two steps getting in and out of the trailer while your hands are full.

Like I said this is not the best place to get info on Lance trailers.

Tags
advice