Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Need Advise on What to Fill Drill Holes on the Outside of my Travel Trailer

So today I decided to hang up a 32 LED tv in the master bedroom of my Imagine. Well I drilled 1/8" pilot holes where it indicated tv backing. Well I guess my drill bit was too long and it straight thru to the outside of my trailer. Nothing big. Just tiny holes. More concerned about rain getting in there. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding what to fill those tiny holes with? Thank you ahead of time.
knguyen525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You did not say where they are on the outside so don't know how ugly this would be. If not too noticeable put a little calking in the holes and then a couple small stainless screws. You could even paint the screw heads to make them less noticeable.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several resin based products made to fill holes in fiberglass boats, getting it match white should not be too hard. Just Google for "white fiberglass boat repair" and study the results to find something that works for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Agree with Brian however if you are intending to use these holes you drilled to mount the TV still, you will need to be sure to use very short screws on the outside so they don't hit the TV mounting screws inside. If you use stainless screws I wouldn't paint them, you will just damage the paint when you install them anyway and besides probably the only person that would even notice they are there is you
DieselGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

10-4 on the screws with a little sealent on them, that way it looks like something that was supposed to be there, other than a few daps of caulk !
[ moderator edit ]
Old 07-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

If it were me I would simply drill the holes out to the desired required size for the TV hanger bracket get some nice stainless bolts and stainless Fender washers. Caulk the heads of the bolts slide them through the wall go to the inside mounting bracket be done with it just make sure the folks are just long enough to reach everything with the washers. It would look like the books belong there. No one would be the wiser. That would cover two issues The oops and the hanging the TV on the wall.... Dusty
dustyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

I guess that you have a Fiberglas exterior. There are shops and boat repair experts that can fix your holes that they will hardly be seen. I wouldn't tackle this and botch the job. Using sealants before a repair will only cause more problems. Cover the holes with tape till you can get a proper repair.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #8

Take your trailer to a Body Shop to have a few small drill bit holes repaired ????? I have heard of "Deep Pockets" but this takes the cake !!

Matrix ! are you in disquise ???
Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Screws always look "official". Repairs almost always look like repairs.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are the holes on the outside somewhere you could use an extra light or a decal of some kind?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:43 AM   #11

I would personally try to do the cleanest silicone or white caulk job as possible and leave it alone. you could fill the hole with caulk and scrape off the residual with a credit card. everyone makes mistakes and nobody will ever notice only you as someone else already said. It comes down to how much you want a spend and how much of a perfectionist you are with stuff like this.
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #12

Go to west marine and get a gel coat repair kit that has various colour tubes. Match colour as best as possible and fill hole. Sand with 1500 grit wet sandpaper, use rubbing compound then use polish.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I messed up in a similar fashion. My solution was a small patch cut from EternaBond tape. Worked just fine.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Go to west marine and get a gel coat repair kit that has various colour tubes. Match colour as best as possible and fill hole. Sand with 1500 grit wet sandpaper, use rubbing compound then use polish.
This is the right answer. . Fiberglass is not difficult to work with or repair. Of all the mediums I have worked with, welding steel, framing with wood, etc. I like working with fiberglass the best. When you are done you will feel like you learned a new skill and will be more confident when you take out that mailbox you didn't see.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer