Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Smile Need Christmas Ideas

Hi, I am new here. We have a 30 ft. Passport travel trailer. My husband and I have two kids and usually travel with our golden retriever. This was our third summer with out travel trailer and we are loving it.

My husband is a super practical guy though, never really wants anything, hates presents that are just "stuff", so I thought finding him something cool and useful for the RV would be great.

So, can you all give me your favorite or most useful RV gadget or accessory? Something you love and don't want to give up? I am open to anything, and may make it a joint present with parents and inlaws if it is pricey enough - so through out your favorites. Bonus would be if you think it can be used or would be useful if we get a fifth wheel. We are considering getting a larger rig in the next few years but its not definite, and right now our Passport with the bunkhouse is great.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Get him a portable propane campfire, we got ours at Lowes for $99, you can buy some fancier ones like camp fire in a can for around $300...Ours works great and gives off plenty of heat. It's really nice to have when you want to have a campfire where they don't allow wood fires, or you want a quick campfire without all the smoke. Not knowing what you already have makes it hard to guess what he may want or need.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Cool present for your husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrvmom View Post
Hi, I am new here. We have a 30 ft. Passport travel trailer. My husband and I have two kids and usually travel with our golden retriever. This was our third summer with out travel trailer and we are loving it.

My husband is a super practical guy though, never really wants anything, hates presents that are just "stuff", so I thought finding him something cool and useful for the RV would be great.

So, can you all give me your favorite or most useful RV gadget or accessory? Something you love and don't want to give up? I am open to anything, and may make it a joint present with parents and inlaws if it is pricey enough - so through out your favorites. Bonus would be if you think it can be used or would be useful if we get a fifth wheel. We are considering getting a larger rig in the next few years but its not definite, and right now our Passport with the bunkhouse is great.

Thanks!
I was just telling a new friend in a brand new RV Club (that I joined tonight) how cool the following roadside assistance device is. They are sold on Amazon for about $50 plus $25 shipping. It is called an EZ Jack Wheel Chock. It is a device that allows you to roll your tandem axle (5th wheel or other tandem axle vehicle) up onto a ramp-like device, in order to suspend the other axle in the air for changing a flat tire. I used mine and it worked like a charm for the very first flat I had. Saves TONS of time and effort required by the traditional jack. Any guy would love one of these. I know this may not apply to your situation right now, but if you get a tandem axle 5th wheel, it would make a great present. They work fantastic. Another great gift, also sold on Amazon, would be a PowerStation PSX-2 Rugged Hi-Power 1000 Peak Amp Hi-Current EHP Battery Jumpstarter with Hi-Volume Air Compressor, LED Worklight & 12V DC Power Source. Fantastic device as an alternate power source, built in air compressor for airing up tires, etc. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get him a satellite TV set up so he won't miss his favorite sporting events.

Camping World has a deal with Dish Network for a pay as you go so you can pay on a monthly basis if you don't want to use it all of the time. If you get the portable Tailgater Dish you can move it from place to place, trailer to trailer without any other expense.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Screen Room (attach to awning or freestanding). Extends the floorspace of the RV and keeps the rain and bugs out.

Dish For My RV, pay-as-you-go (Tailgater portable dish and ViP-211 receiver) and a 1Tb external hard drive to enable DVR functionality...shop around for prices to get the best deal. Does not have to be purchased from anyone in particular. But a package could be the best price.
No installation on the RV and can be carried to the house or to a new RV.

Best luck and happy holidays.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Consider buying him an wheel alignment for the trailer. Tires will last longer, doesn't talk up space on the shelf either.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Get him a portable propane campfire, we got ours at Lowes for $99, you can buy some fancier ones like camp fire in a can for around $300...Ours works great and gives off plenty of heat. It's really nice to have when you want to have a campfire where they don't allow wood fires, or you want a quick campfire without all the smoke. Not knowing what you already have makes it hard to guess what he may want or need.
Thanks. We don't have much except the necessities, so this is a great idea!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deecee52 View Post
I was just telling a new friend in a brand new RV Club (that I joined tonight) how cool the following roadside assistance device is. They are sold on Amazon for about $50 plus $25 shipping. It is called an EZ Jack Wheel Chock. It is a device that allows you to roll your tandem axle (5th wheel or other tandem axle vehicle) up onto a ramp-like device, in order to suspend the other axle in the air for changing a flat tire. I used mine and it worked like a charm for the very first flat I had. Saves TONS of time and effort required by the traditional jack. Any guy would love one of these. I know this may not apply to your situation right now, but if you get a tandem axle 5th wheel, it would make a great present. They work fantastic. Another great gift, also sold on Amazon, would be a PowerStation PSX-2 Rugged Hi-Power 1000 Peak Amp Hi-Current EHP Battery Jumpstarter with Hi-Volume Air Compressor, LED Worklight & 12V DC Power Source. Fantastic device as an alternate power source, built in air compressor for airing up tires, etc. Good luck.

Thanks, those are some great ideas!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Screen Room (attach to awning or freestanding). Extends the floorspace of the RV and keeps the rain and bugs out.

Dish For My RV, pay-as-you-go (Tailgater portable dish and ViP-211 receiver) and a 1Tb external hard drive to enable DVR functionality...shop around for prices to get the best deal. Does not have to be purchased from anyone in particular. But a package could be the best price.
No installation on the RV and can be carried to the house or to a new RV.

Best luck and happy holidays.
Is there a screen room you like the best? I had looked at those and to be honest, was sort of struggling to figure out if they actually worked.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Consider buying him an wheel alignment for the trailer. Tires will last longer, doesn't talk up space on the shelf either.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
By far, the best and most useful thing I ever purchased for our TT was an electric tongue jack. Unfortunately, it cannot be used for a 5'er if, and when, you go in that direction. But the jack makes hooking and unhooking the trailer child's play.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On homage to Tim Taylor of Tool Time....
get him a tune for the tow vehicle - More power
Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrvmom View Post
Is there a screen room you like the best? I had looked at those and to be honest, was sort of struggling to figure out if they actually worked.
Yes, they work. We had the kind of screen room with no floor and used a piece of astro-turf to cover the ground inside the screen room.

The screen room was on an old TT. I came with the TT, so don't know the name/brand.

Our current RV (Class A) has an awning that is too high for the normal screen rooms, so we now go without and miss it.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote