Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #1

Need help!

We bought our first real camper. We owned a popup for 10 years. I never had to deal with sewer hookups. We have seasonal site this year and I was wandering if I leave the gate valves open to the sewer or do I have to fill the tanks then dump them as they get full? And should I disconnect everything when we leave for the week and reconnect when we get back the next weekend? Also how about the awning. Should I tilt it down when we leave or roll it up everytime?
Dyerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Community Administrator

The black tank should be closed till at least 3/4 full and then emptied. Also use a lot of water with each flush to avoid problems. The gray tank can be left open. I never leave my awning open when I leave my camp site.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #3

I always leave the valves closed. You don't want the tanks to dry out. I've heard of dried poop in black tanks as hard as concrete. I've bought a MH with a grey sludge that we had a very hard time cleaning out. This was in the grey tank. We are fulltime and never leave the valves open. Sitting still is hard on the tanks because they don't get agitated when going down the highway which helps the cleaning action.
As for the awning, I would roll it up as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #4

Toilet paper? Do I need to use special rv toilet paper or can I buy something from the grocery store cheaper?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I agree with the first two posts . I don't allow toilet paper in my holding tank. We have
a garbage can with a plastic bag in it .I have spent enough time digging toilet paper out of gate valves ,now the person that puts the paper in can do it .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
NEVER leave the black tank open! You *can* leave the gray tank open, but close it a day or two before you're ready to dump the black tank so you have water to rinse the sewer hose.

You could leave the sewer hose in place when you leave...just be sure both tanks are closed. If you leave the fresh water hose attached, be sure to turn off the water at the spigot when you leave.

I also would NOT leave the awing out...it should be retracted anytime you are not there since a gust of wind can do major damage not only to the awning, but also to your rig.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

Smile sewer

We leave black and grey closed as when we want to dump black tank it is good to have grey water to follow as this will clean out the hose and help to keep the hose smelling better. Also when putting chemical into your black tank through toilet also make sure you add a couple of gallons of water to start the breaking down of solids so you do not end up with the poop pyramid.
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Chemicals.....yeah I didn't even think of chemicals. What should I use? How often? Do I put chemicals in grey water tank too? I'm so afraid I'm gonna mess this up. I can totslly understand using the grey water to flush out sewer line. Makes sense now that it was brought to my attention. Chemicals, I never gave a thought.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #9

Also, do I drain the tanks completely when its time to winterize?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerke View Post
Toilet paper? Do I need to use special rv toilet paper or can I buy something from the grocery store cheaper?

Her is a Youtube video that might help

eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
CD

I suggest using the Geo Method. Instead of using lots & lots of water when flushing, add about 5 gals right after empting and don't skimp when flushing. We have had our TT for 15 years and after a few problems this is what helped us. Also I don't use chemicals. The Geo Method also keeps the gages working properly. I don't use the Geomethod every dump but use it often.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

I too have a seasonal site. What i do is pretty much what everyone else said, black tank closed until 2/3 full then flush good. On my grey tank i open when i arrive and close when i leave. I also form a "P" trap with my hose so it will keep about a 2 ft section of hose filled with water that way you don't get the sewer gas smell coming through the gray tank.
You should also flush the gray tanks from time to time.
I leave everything plugged in and run the fridge constantly i leave the gas on and the fridge in auto mode so if you lose power it will still work.
I turn the water off when we leave and turn off hot water heater.
Awning comes in when not there.
I have a programmable thermostat for the a/c and run it at 82 during the week and have it set to come on and cool the camper to 70 degrees on friday morning. No more opening every window and waiting for it to cool down. It gets mighty hot in texas. Lol
Hope this helps.. Happy Camping
Robert
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

I dump when near full.
Black tank is dump, fill, dump. Easy-peasy!
Never had a problem with the tank clogging in over 30 years in 3 rigs.
We use single ply Northern; cheap! No need to feed the RV store piggy bank. And it goes down the toidy!!!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #14

Thank you so much for the replies.I have learned a lot. And the geo method makes a lot of sense, I think I will try it to flush out the tanks good. I don't know how well they were taken care of, so it sounds like a smart thing to try.