Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Greetings,

If you plan on camping for many years with the kids and you can afford it get the slide and 26-29 foot trailer. On rainy days without slide it gets crowded.
As kids grow they like to take friends along.

If I had to do over again I would get a 3/4 ton,not that more in cost but more easy on the towing..

just my tcw.. Good luck on you choice and safe travels
WWR

Good points ^^^^. Also, OP, find the F150 truck you really like and want to purchase. Get a quote for it. THen go find a similarly equipped Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and you will see the Ford costing 15%-20% more than the Ram.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

You could also spend the extra dough and buy a Quad cab 1 ton dually and be sure you have enough truck. However you have to take into account how you will use the truck when you are not pulling the camper. If you intend to use the truck as a daily driver you should drive the 150, then drive a 250, 2500, 350 or 3500. Are you comfortable with the harsher ride quality? Do you want to feed the larger engine if you are driving it daily?
This needs to be a total package you can feel comfortable with 12 months a year.
You drive then you decide.
Lynn

Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
If there are Northwood dealers in your area, check out the Nash 23B. Ours hasn't needed to see a dealer, ever. Beware that most 26'-28' trailers will stretch the capacity of most 1/2 ton pickups. An advertised tongue weight of 500lbs dry could be 700-800lbs with batteries, propane, gear and the weight of the hitch,that usually leads to overloading the rear axle if there's anything in the bed and poor stability with P tires. We upgraded from the F150 to F250 and now I get to the campsite relaxed even after driving 10hrs.
I looked at the numbers for towing, payload, etc for F150, but didn't realize about all the extra weight that puts the F150 so close to its capacity. Thanks for letting this novice know. I really don't want to put myself or my family in a scary situation.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #18

Great to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
I have a 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW...love it. Bunks, queen bed, couch, dinette, full bathroom, no slides...29 feet from bumper to hitch. Dry weight 4700 lbs.
I tow with a Ram 1500 5.7...your F150 would tow it no problem.
Did you have to return to dealer at all to fix things in the trailer right after you bought it?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #19

inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have a couple friends with Jayco trailers. They look good and seem to be well constructed. I'd say they deserve consideration.
Floor plan is important but not to the point you can't get used to anything. Go into as many as you can and see what seems comfortable and workable for you. No one is an expert on floor plans. Campers are built differently and so are humans.
You are somewhat limited in what you can have working within the size you specified. I pulled a 32 1/2" Shasta many miles with a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with variable rate rear springs, heavy duty rear shocks, load equalizing hitch with built in sway bars and an electric brake control. We were very careful in loading the camper so we didn't exceed 400# of tongue weight. The camper was heavy but pulled very well. Of course the old Caddy weighed over 5000#, had an automatic transmission and a 500 Cu. In. engine.
All the advice in the world would be useless if you don't make on the lot inspections, talk about it and make a list of wants and don't wants. I could pick a real beauty out for you but I have no doubt you'd find my choice not to your liking. Or, maybe you would?
I'm not so sure you don't really want "wet baths". Your choices on where you want to camp may change.
Keep us posted on what you find and how you like it.
Good luck,
Lynn
thanks for the reply Lynn. Quick question, how should this newbie make inspections? Read up on things to check? Or get someone who knows RV's to come with me? I've read there even is such a thing as RV inspection professionals, is this legit?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #20

considering RAM also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Good points ^^^^. Also, OP, find the F150 truck you really like and want to purchase. Get a quote for it. THen go find a similarly equipped Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and you will see the Ford costing 15%-20% more than the Ram.
Im considering the RAM also. Only thing holding me back from 1/2 ton truck vs 3/4 ton is that i have to drive the truck everyday to work 50 miles and back.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #21

Went with kids to check out models

So, we went and checked out some models at different dealers again. The kids are excited with RV's already, especially the bunks.
So saw the Jayco's, keystones, lances, and winnebago micro minnies. Really like the trailers in the 26-29 foot range, especially with the slides.
The winnebago micro's on the dealers lot were "cute" according to my DW. Until she discovered mouse droppings on the dinette setback cushions. Is this the norm? This dealer is one of the biggest in our state, DW went running back to the car. Does this mean they are trying to sell mouse infested brand new trailers to people? Hard to trust them after I saw that.
Anyone with any experience with this kind of thing? Is this something that means I should stay away from this dealer?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
You're in the "conundrum"

I have both a 2015 F150 Lariat Max Tow, Max Payload AND a Chevy 2500HD Gas model.

The F150 is a dream daily driver, and currently getting 19.9 MPG unloaded right this second.

The 2500HD will jar your teeth out of your head, and gets garbage mileage. I installed my own Backup camera (you'll want one, no matter how you get it)

My trailer is 6000 ish lbs... maybe 6500 with my load, the tongue weight is around 780lbs.

I tow it with the 2500, but I know a LOT of people over on the airstream forums tow this exact trailer with an identical F150 and say it does just fine.... but I haven't tried it.. mainly because I'm too lazy to set up another hitch.

So what I did was I bought the Ford new. I bought the chevy with a 55k miles on it, bought gas, bought it at the end of the month, from a dealer desperate to get it off their lot. So I got a great cash deal on it.

Theoretically, you could

A) Buy the F150, and be sure to get a trailer sized appropriately. Enjoy.
B) Buy a bigger truck used, and buy a compact car or sedan used for the easy 50 mile, high MPG commute. I'm positive you could get both in the same price as an F150. Bigger truck would give you lots of flex on the trailer, you won't be pinned in.

If you buy a small trailer, then regret that decision, it's more consuming to undo both the trailer AND the truck. And this is a decision for you to consider. I'm not hinting at anything with the comment, just food for thought. I know that written word VS conversation can be more difficult to discern tone.

Hey, I'm with you on the slides aspect, btw.

Like others have said, Lance, Nash, Outdoors RV, Jayco, Grand Design, Airstream if you find it to be your thing.

What about storage for the trailer? Have you lined that up or given it some thought?

I'm the sort of guy that likes to lean towards the keep it simple and travel light. Smaller and lighter will always be "more simple" to deal with. trade off? slightly more cramped inside. Bigger and heavier brings all sorts of "more stuffness" to them. You gotta maneuver the thing, bigger parking spot for storage, more attention in gas stations and tight turns, heavier.

TIP: some people drop the trailer in a parking lot or a campground, THEN go get gas.

And everyone's situation is different. Money, style, beliefs, desires, opinions ... all of that sort of stuff will guide you in it's own way.

Also, give careful consideration to the air conditioning...... where are the vents? can they be closed to redirect air somewhere else? Is it hot where you travel? Is this a 13.5k A/C unit or a 15k A/C unit? Is there one or two of them? This is something a lot of novice's overlook, and the dealer is not exactly going to tell you that the unit on their lot is "under-a/c'd", a common issue. They'll be happy to let you find that out on your own... NEXT summer....

They also *might* fib a little about how much weight YOUR truck can tow.... anyone have that cartoon?? Matter of fact, dealers might fib or omit information about a myriad of topics. So keep your research going!

You'll likely want to research things like.. battery chargers on board? What type? Will it boil my batteries if I forget to turn it off? Tires? Size and make.. blowouts? Does the trailer have shocks or not? Do the cabinets often fly open on their own? Length to wheelbase? Truck wheelbase to hitch to trailer wheelbase? Is this trailer going to be inherently stable, or unstable? How about the hitch? Blue Ox or .....

Once you begin to narrow to a brand and model... we here can begin to uncover the info about it more specifically.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #23

Decisions are hard

Thx plasma800 for all the good tips. It looks like smaller will be better for us. I have to store the trailer at a lot, don't have space at home for more than two cars and very strict HOA. I think I have to get an F150 for my daily drive, so that means a slightly smaller trailer. We want something that isn't to hard to maneuver and can fit nicely into national and state parks. As much as my eyes get big when I see a big comfy trailer, it just doesn't fit into our lifestyle right now..
Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrekker View Post
So, we went and checked out some models at different dealers again. The kids are excited with RV's already, especially the bunks.
So saw the Jayco's, keystones, lances, and winnebago micro minnies. Really like the trailers in the 26-29 foot range, especially with the slides.
The winnebago micro's on the dealers lot were "cute" according to my DW. Until she discovered mouse droppings on the dinette setback cushions. Is this the norm? This dealer is one of the biggest in our state, DW went running back to the car. Does this mean they are trying to sell mouse infested brand new trailers to people? Hard to trust them after I saw that.
Anyone with any experience with this kind of thing? Is this something that means I should stay away from this dealer?

Yes! The dealer will sell anything, to anybody. I've walked into units clearly leaking water in the rain, with ruined floor and window, mushy wall... point it out the salesman?

"Oh, we'll fix that..."

riiiight..... Not for me you won't

You are your own best advocate here. It's a good idea to never buy a trailer with existing damage or rodent infestation... ESPECIALLY brand new.

Caveat Emptor!
noun
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thx plasma800 for all the good tips. It looks like smaller will be better for us. I have to store the trailer at a lot, don't have space at home for more than two cars and very strict HOA. I think I have to get an F150 for my daily drive, so that means a slightly smaller trailer. We want something that isn't to hard to maneuver and can fit nicely into national and state parks. As much as my eyes get big when I see a big comfy trailer, it just doesn't fit into our lifestyle right now..
Hear Hear! There are times I wish I had bought a 25 foot trailer..... but really the 28 footer is pretty easy to maneuver and fits anywhere.

The F150 is a dream to drive. I also really LOVE the Lariat package. Keep in mind that everything added is heavier. For instance, I bought the 4x4.... more weight. Moon roof? more weight. Platinum package? more weight... However, with a small enough trailer, this shouldn't be too big of a deal. Just more food for thought.

Well, we'll be following along in your adventure!!!!!!!
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 09-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #26

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't travel more than three hours from home. We travel with two adults (us) and often with two kindergarten age grandkids. DH's truck holds two and the dog in the center, and it is my husbands daily driver.

So, when grandkids are with us, I will also drive my car with the grandkids in the back. Our 18ft. TT has no slides, two bunks, a dinette, kitchen area, bathroom, and a queen bed -enough to keep us warm/cool and dry and can change clothes, cook if raining, and use an inside restroom. I bring a screen tent and table and chairs for the grandkids and they are outside nearly all the time. They love the bunks and being with us. The rare occasions it has rained constantly, we all just went somewhere in the car such as a local mall play area.

This setup probably won't last past their tweens, but I have plenty of tents so they can have their own setup it they still want to come with us as teenagers. We camp in state parks, COE etc. so it would not be exorbitant to get a second site.

We made the decision to stay small and with few bells and whistles.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Did you have to return to dealer at all to fix things in the trailer right after you bought it?

I've had the trailer a year now. Been back to dealer zero times. Trailer has been flawless

Tags
need help