Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Need help choosing first TT

Hi all,
I'm sure you guys have seen this question before, so please bear with me!

I am looking at getting a travel trailer for my family of four. Kids are still small, 4 and 5, but looking to get them into nature more often. Love camping, but not in tents, so have decided to get a trailer. Just cant decide what would be best option. We are interested in mostly national park and state camping, with occasional boondocking. Definitely want bunks and a bed for me and DW that doesn't need to be broken down. Also, no wet baths, don't know how we would wash off the kids.
Any suggestions on size of trailer? Any of you traveled with your kids and have any words of wisdom?

We are planning on getting a new F150 3.5L eco boost this year as tow vehicle.
AZtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

some other points

Just some more info that might help with advice...
We don't want to deal with slides bc of horror stories we have heard with maintenance and slides breaking down.
We live right near a huge dealership with service department that sells mostly Jayco products, but at least 100-150 miles from dealerships that sell other brands. I have read that this is a big deal when wanting to service rv's.

Anyone want to share their experiences with Jayco models in the 20-29 foot range?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Check out the Coachmen Apex 288BHS. It's 31 feet long, yellow stickered at 5500 pounds, has two wide bunks (not narrow ones for the kids to fall off) and a queen sized bed. Our main reason for picking this trailer was that the couch was across from the dinette instead of side by side. Now we can sit and talk without someone having to look over their shoulder constantly.

That being said, their initial build quality was garbage so you'll be making some trips to the dealer to get stuff straightened away. We have a neighbour that bought an Apex and also had a rash of warranty issues. Now that we have passed our one year anniversary with ours and the bugs are fixed we absolutely love it.

My wife mentioned that Rockwood now has a similar plan and we loved the build quality of our Roo however I'm in no rush to buy another one just yet now that this one is straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

After reading your second post you can ignore everything I just said!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the info! Layout definitely matters. Good to hear your trailer has got all its bugs fixed.. Happy camping
Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

We love our Keystone Passport 2670 BH. Has full size bunks for kids growing room and a full length queen up front.
Ours has a slide but it is cable driven versus gear. There is some debate on which is better but I like that with the cable system there is no worry on it getting "out of sync" and all components appear easily replaceable should something go wrong. As far as seals go, keep them clean (and debris away) and lubricated and they will last as long as you will likely have the trailer. With a growing family you'll likely find the added space a slide provides is worth the hassle.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Well, if you are going with a 1/2 ton truck, be sure and specify the trailer towing package and whatever else goes with it to be able to tow a decent sized trailer. BTW, we've had our Komfort trailer with one slide since 2012 with no problems with the slide. A slide will make a small trailer very livable.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember correctly Ford had a maximum payload package that may be separate from the towing package.

Try to get a truck with that as well as the towing setup.

There was also an optional 36 gallon fuel tank.

I haven't looked at Fords since 2015 when I got my GMC so my info may be out of date.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #9

If there are Northwood dealers in your area, check out the Nash 23B. Ours hasn't needed to see a dealer, ever. Beware that most 26'-28' trailers will stretch the capacity of most 1/2 ton pickups. An advertised tongue weight of 500lbs dry could be 700-800lbs with batteries, propane, gear and the weight of the hitch,that usually leads to overloading the rear axle if there's anything in the bed and poor stability with P tires. We upgraded from the F150 to F250 and now I get to the campsite relaxed even after driving 10hrs.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

I have a couple friends with Jayco trailers. They look good and seem to be well constructed. I'd say they deserve consideration.
Floor plan is important but not to the point you can't get used to anything. Go into as many as you can and see what seems comfortable and workable for you. No one is an expert on floor plans. Campers are built differently and so are humans.
You are somewhat limited in what you can have working within the size you specified. I pulled a 32 1/2" Shasta many miles with a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with variable rate rear springs, heavy duty rear shocks, load equalizing hitch with built in sway bars and an electric brake control. We were very careful in loading the camper so we didn't exceed 400# of tongue weight. The camper was heavy but pulled very well. Of course the old Caddy weighed over 5000#, had an automatic transmission and a 500 Cu. In. engine.
All the advice in the world would be useless if you don't make on the lot inspections, talk about it and make a list of wants and don't wants. I could pick a real beauty out for you but I have no doubt you'd find my choice not to your liking. Or, maybe you would?
I'm not so sure you don't really want "wet baths". Your choices on where you want to camp may change.
Keep us posted on what you find and how you like it.
Good luck,
Lynn
Old 09-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Need help choosing first TT

I have a 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW...love it. Bunks, queen bed, couch, dinette, full bathroom, no slides...29 feet from bumper to hitch. Dry weight 4700 lbs.
I tow with a Ram 1500 5.7...your F150 would tow it no problem.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...ht-slx/264bhw/
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Greetings,

If you plan on camping for many years with the kids and you can afford it get the slide and 26-29 foot trailer. On rainy days without slide it gets crowded.
As kids grow they like to take friends along.

If I had to do over again I would get a 3/4 ton,not that more in cost but more easy on the towing..

just my tcw.. Good luck on you choice and safe travels
WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I like my new Jayco.... I studied hard for a couple of years before trading up from a Forest River Surveyor. And, for every horror story you hear about slides, there are probably at least 100 out there like me. I'm into my third travel trailer and I use my trailers a lot. I have yet to have any type of slide problem. I definitely think Jayco is worth a look.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help