Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #1

Ok, here's the deal: We saw a 1993 22 foot Hi-Lo in really nice shape. I checked the Nada guide (see below):

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price

$4,440 $5,350
Options

AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATING
13,500 BTU (Non-Central/Non-Ducted): $160 $195
Furnace (13,000-17,000 BTU): $40 $50
APPLIANCES
Water Heater 10 Gallon Gas/Elec.: $55 $70
ENTERTAINMENT
AM/FM Cassette Stereo: $25 $35
T.V. Antenna W/Booster: $20 $30
JACKS AND LEVELING SYSTEMS
Stabilizer Jacks (Crank Down): $50 $65
MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Awning 13' - 14' (Each): $140 $170

TOTAL PRICE $4,930 $5,965

The dealer is asking $8995. AFter giving them our price they came back with $8460. They tried to tell us the nada guide said that the $8400 price was close. I have said that we know the nada guide price and that we also know they want to make a profit.

This would be a cash deal with no trade. They called a few minutes ago and asked if we would consider making a counter offer to the $8400 price. We feel that a $3000 dollar difference is WAY TOO HIGH. We were thinking $6500. How do we close the gap????

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #2

Ok, here's the deal: We saw a 1993 22 foot Hi-Lo in really nice shape. I checked the Nada guide (see below):

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price

$4,440 $5,350
Options

AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATING
13,500 BTU (Non-Central/Non-Ducted): $160 $195
Furnace (13,000-17,000 BTU): $40 $50
APPLIANCES
Water Heater 10 Gallon Gas/Elec.: $55 $70
ENTERTAINMENT
AM/FM Cassette Stereo: $25 $35
T.V. Antenna W/Booster: $20 $30
JACKS AND LEVELING SYSTEMS
Stabilizer Jacks (Crank Down): $50 $65
MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Awning 13' - 14' (Each): $140 $170

TOTAL PRICE $4,930 $5,965

The dealer is asking $8995. AFter giving them our price they came back with $8460. They tried to tell us the nada guide said that the $8400 price was close. I have said that we know the nada guide price and that we also know they want to make a profit.

This would be a cash deal with no trade. They called a few minutes ago and asked if we would consider making a counter offer to the $8400 price. We feel that a $3000 dollar difference is WAY TOO HIGH. We were thinking $6500. How do we close the gap????

2 Boys
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #3

You may have to just walk away from it. At least it will tell your dealer that you are willing to walk away, and he will have to be more honest on the next deal. We did that with a car, and the second time we looked at a car there he remembered that we WILL walk away and gave us a fair price the second time.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We were thinking $6500. How do we close the gap???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell them $6500 is the most you'll pay and that you can understand if they can't sell it for that price. Suggest to them that perhaps they'll be able to get their $8400 from the next person that gets interested in it, and then courteously walk away. They may counter with something less than the $8400, but stick with your $6500, reiterating appropriately that $6500 is all you'll pay.

If you don't get it for your price remember, there is no shortage of used RV's and it's a buyers market. There's always another one to look at.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #5

Thanks! As of right now, I have talked to them once more reiterating that 6500 is my top price...no more. I've also thrown in that my husband mentioned he saw a larger, used hi-lo at another dealer's lot for less and he might be taking a look at it today at lunch

So, I'll just go about my business and wait for them to make the next move! Oh, did I mention that they threw in the "BTW the couple that was there about the same time yesterday seemed real intersted too" line!

Got a good chuckle over that one! Hey, if this "other couple" wants to pay too much, let them.

2 Boys
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #6

Your offer is more than fair - it's generous.

If you have offered them your top dollar the best thing you can do is start looking at other units. Don't wait for them to come down or even to call back. If they do accept your offer later on and you're still interested, great. In the mean time, I'd be trying like crazy to find an even better deal. You can always use this unit to beat up the next dealer. They won't know how much the dealer was willing to take for it.

The important thing about walking away from a deal is resisting the urge to go back. Dealer's know that a lot of customers will make a "final offer," but when it gets refused, they come back and offer more. Don't do it. Dealer's are more patient than most buyers. If you are more patient than the dealers, you will get a better deal.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #7

For reference, we just sold out 97 21' HiLo Breeze last week for $7000 and it was in excellent condition.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Also keep in mind that many of the so called "options" are standard. Like every RV has a furnace and a hot water heater and often an A/C. Dealers will NOT even look at options when you go to trade in. They don't care about the upgraded Fridge, or A/C or large holding tanks, or all wood cabinets. They just will give you low book value as a trade.
So, give them your offer and stick by your guns. There are a lot of RV's out there.
Chet
Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #9

I agree with HitchHiker. There are many,many more used RV's than potential buyers. Often sales people will sell a new RV planning on recouping some money on the trade-in, and they ask outragous prices at first with the intent of "coming down" to meet you half way. I tell salesmen that it's their vehicle and my money, if they don't want the amount I'm willing to pay them I'll keep it and they can keep thier vehicle. You have the upper hand from the beginning, don't allow anyone to wrest it away from you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #10

....HI-LO's have had problems with wood rotting because of water leaks....look carefully....geofkaye
Old 05-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dealers will NOT even look at options when you go to trade in. They don't care about the upgraded Fridge, or A/C or large holding tanks, or all wood cabinets. They just will give you low book value as a trade.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true in my experience. Dealers most certainly include all possible options when they price their used trailers. And they will do the same on a trade-in unles they believe the customer doesn't know any better. Dealer's will only do what you let them get away with.

We just traded in our TT. I had over $3K in legitimate NADA price-add options on our unit and they were most certainly included in the trade-in value. As soon as they understood that I knew how to arrive at the proper NADA figure, not one dealer tried to argue the trade-in value with me. Every one of the more than a dozen dealers that we talked dollars with included the appropriate options in the NADA book values.

In this case, tiniree has added options on to the base NADA to arrive at an even higher retail price. Then she offered even more than that for the trailer. I agree with CyberVet that some of the options tiniree included might not be correct add-ons. (Of course in this case they are in the dealer's favor.) A furnace is considered standard in all "self-contained units." A water heater is considered standard also; however, a 10 gallon water heater is rare in a small trailer and could be an add-on.

However you figure it, the true retail blue book on this trailer is somewhere between $5300 and $5900, and tiniree's offer is well above those figures. If the dealer isn't happy with an offer that is more than 10% over retail blue book, I think they are being unreasonable.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #12

I've walked away from a few deals in my lifetime...regretting it at first, but thankful later on. As was said, hold firm on what you're willing to pay and do not deviate.

Perhaps not so much with Hi-Lo's, but there are plenty of used RV's to go around. In fact, the market is saturated.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #13

call a few dealers that handle the hi lo such as stahlmam in new branfels texas they are a dealer and always have a few new ones..we live in mcqueeneybut we are at our summer home in colo otherwise i would check for you...that is not a buy at 6500....so check arouns and save...it sounds like robert christ or world wide rv bought owned by the same....jim
Old 05-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #14

James -
Thank you so much! The dealer has come down from the original $8995 to asking if we can come in at around $7500.

Went to look at a Towlite over at Earnhart's RV here in Mesa yesterday. They got it in on Thursday. They were asking around $8900-9000.00 for a newer unit, but I do know the "classic" models are a little better made and definately have more storage.

Got there yesterday morning as they were opening and "lo & behold", the unit sold already! He said they have only gotten two hi-lo units in in the last 3 yrs. and they sell quicker than they can get them cleaned up to put on the lot.

We went today (while dealer was closed) and took a good look at the 22' Hi-Lo we are/were (don't know yet) considering. The interior is in Very Good/Excellent shape. All appliances work well and the original owners paperwork packet in the drawer indicated they took very good care of it.

Now we are at a weird point. We really want a Hi-lo for ease of storage and towing (yes, we had one years ago) plus this one is small enough that we could get it into almost any campground spot.

I also phoned several dealers around here, and they all told us the same thing, "Can't keep them on the lots"!

Soooo, is this dealer asking too much? Probably! Will we be willing to pay WAY too much? No! Are we considering upping our offer a little to get the trailer we really want? Yes, at this point.

Will let everyone know how this unfolds in the next few days.

PS: Yes, we are considering maybe searching out of state and just driving to save on a newer unit from a reputable dealer (any recommends?).

2 Boys