Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #15

After reading some the recent thread about towing and mileage under the towing section of this forum, it seems in most cases mileage drops about in half. To get 14 mpg makes me think of another word that starts with "i"--impossible.

We have pretty much decided against the trailer. It seemed like a good idea, but now don't believe it is.

Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
Longarrow, SmokeyWren and others,

Thanks so much for your information in reply to my question. It has been very helpful, and I believe it has saved us a lot of money and grief. The Honda Pilot "might" pull the Vibe okay, but at great sacrifice of mileage--more than we care to make.

SmokeyWren, I made a print of your post to put with my files. When it is convenient, we do plan to have the Pilot weighed.

As I said in my previous post, after considering everyone's input, we have decided not to purchase the Vibe. However, we do feel we have learned that v-nosed trailers are fine and would be nice trailers to tow.

Perhaps we will just wait a year and see if we still want to RV. That was our original plan when we started talking about selling our Class A. If we do, we'll figure out what is best for us at that time.

Again, many thanks.
Beverly and Buddy

Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
Jayco Owners Club
I surely didn't mean to discourage you... just wanted to be realistic. My 2011 F-150 gets as high as 21mpg on trips where there aren't a lot of starts and stops. I got 12.2 coming home from the RV dealer with our new Surveyor SV-264. I had a little bit of a tailwind... To me, 10 mpg averaged over a nice vacation would be acceptable. Gasoline is still a bit cheaper than diesel, and the new 302 V-8 has enough power.

As to the V-nosed aspect... anything that cuts down on air drag will help with mileage. Air drag increases with the square of speed... ie. the drag at 70 mph is actually 4 times as great as it is at 35 mph, instead of just twice. However, it's more than just the frontal shape of things. It's the whole package. All the sharp corners and square backs do NOT help...

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
One thing I liked about the little 6500 VIBE was its rounded back--not just a sharp box shape.

Schrederman: I didn't take your post as meaning to be "discouraging." I just thought it was realistic. Guess we just thought maybe we could get the mileage that the little diesel Sprinter chassis gets, but that doesn't seem to be realistic. Would need the "little diesel." The fact that maybe we could get 10 mpg. is only one part of the equation. Age is another factor.

Looked at the long thread about "How old are you and what do you tow?" Out of about 50 replies, only two were 70 or older. Talked last night with Buddy's brother's daughter. Her father did some RV-ing (small trailer) into his 80's. As she pointed out, for the last few years he didn't go over about 30 miles from home, and then always with other couples who helped with bending down with the hookups, etc. (she and her hubby have a 3/4 ton Ford diesel and a small fifth wheel and only get 11-12 mpg).

Buddy is very active at 75--works every day restoring old (he doesn't use the word "antique") tractors to resell. However, he does have arthritus and it will only get worse. I am just thankful for the forum to get others opinions and suggestions based on their experiences. I'm glad we didn't rush in and buy the little VIBE based on the saleman telling us, "Oh, it will only knock your mileage about 2-3 miles once you get going on the highway." Well, we KNEW we weren't going to get 20 mpg, so we speculated 14-15. We are now convinced even that is very unrealistic. It wouldn't make much difference if we wanted to stay close to home. But we want at least one 5K trip a year and probably another 3K trip. At $4 and $5 a gallon, those kind of miles do make a difference to our budget.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Beverly and Buddy