Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Need some advice on 2012 Denali TT

Hi, I am about to purchase a 2012 Denali 311BHDS and have been given a lot of negative opinions about it from other RV dealers. So, I have a few questions:
- Is the Denali vacuum bonded or pinch rolled construction?
- The Denali brochure says it uses 'residential' insulation - is this a good thing?
- The R40 quoted is gained through radiant technology (basically, heat reflective foil in the walls) - does this work?
- Can you actually 4-season camp in these things (I live in Canada)?

I was fairly confident about my decision until I called back the other dealers to tell them my decision and then the started slamming the Denali (but my dealer swears by it - go figure). However, the Denali has much better features:
- better storage
- 4-seasons
- dual pane windows
- remote control for power awning, jacks, lights, etc.
- separate outdoor stereo
- touch screen stereo
- keyless entry
- larger capacity tanks

I mean, the list goes on... I know the Jayco is vacuum bonded construction but not sure about the others, including the Denali. I am comparing the Denali to a Jayco 314BHDS, a Laredo 303TG and a Cougar Xlite. What do you guys think? Is the Denali a good choice? I honestly don't know anything about RV's.

Thanks, JC

thejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Nor'easters Club
I think you need to checkout the dealer more that the TT. From what I've seen and read all brands have issue's. The key is the dealer and how well they treat you when you have issue"s (hopefully none). On our Brand new Bullet we have has a water leak from a faulty front seam. Cabinet doors came loss. and the radio had to be replaced. The dealer did all of the work with out any fuss or attitude. My advice would be to find the trailer that you like then run checks on the dealer. Once you have made your purchase keep a eye on it, check it for leaks (inside cabinets slider seams) and other issue every week even if it not being used.

Good Luck.

The Clouds
OR RT310BHS 2016: 2011 2500 HD Silverado 4.10
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
We're doing the same research and wish there had been more responses. The Denali has some great features. We were wondering if you had made a decision.
burrouro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
We have a Dutchmen Denali on order. It is a travel trailer, 287re. 3 slides. It is a replacement for our 2012 Outback 298re ( don't ask ). Anyways, I too have been looking on the net for owner forums and reviews of the Denali line and find them few and far between. Is this a new line or are there just not many owners out there? With the Outback, I found many other owners on line.

We are hopeful this new Denali will be a good replacement for our Outback. Time will tell. Just can't wait for it to come in from the factory. We were told first week of May. We are having it built with 50 Amp service. We need 2 AC,s in the south.
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
We did go with the 311BH in the end. Mountain and Winter packages. The thng looks great! We just had it out this weekend for the first time. Seemed awesome. No major issues. Water pump made a nasty noise until I realized that it had air in the lines. Some other minor issues included a dripping outdoor shower quick connect, a couple of loose screws, a loose tv wire and some loose trim. All non-issues really. Although, why these companies cannot figure out how to keep the dinette upholstry trim from coming off is beyond me.

In terms of value for dollar, pretty good. The finish in the Denali is nice. But the features I am not sure are worth the extra money. We paid about $6k more than the base Dutchman but thinking Dutchmen would have been 90% of the Denali. For example, the stabilizers don't actually allow you to level the trailer, you need to block under the tires still. The heated underbelly is good in winter but in spring/fall just sucks up heat that could otherwise go into the cabin. I went through half of a 40-lb bottle in 2.5 days. The exterior stereo is not very loud. The larger fridge and hot water tank were handy. The master bedroom tv is not connected to the main tv's DVD player. The dual pane frameless windows are sweet though!

The main reason we bought it was for the solid wood cabinets, winter package (more for soundproofing than insulation) and the solid wood doors (the inlaws snore ridiculously loud and we did notice that the back door really helped soundproof the bunkhouse. But if none of that matters to you, the Dutchmen would be the way to go. For us though, having the option to go out to Lake Louise in the winter for a few days of no-hotel skiing while being able to bringthe dog with us, is worth is weight in gold! So in a nutshell, yes we overspent but are still happy with the decision.

Cheers, JC
thejean is offline   Reply With Quote