Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Need some awning help please

Hi there,

I just replaced my awning with a new awning, everything went great except it will not wind up on its own.

Because I cut the old awning off to make it easier to remove I wasn't able to calculate the number of turns to tension it properly, so I am basically starting from scratch.

FWIW, this is a 2000 29' Terry Trailer, the awning width is 16'2'' wide.

Ideally i don't want to have to remove the entire thing per se, but not worried if I have to do that.

This was the video I used as a guide.

I feel that if I unhook the right side awning arm and brace it I can brace the spring on the left with a phllips head, remove tension on the spring, and wind it without having to remove it. Again no big deal if i have to remove it from the guide. My questions are, has anybody experienced this, what's your advice, and ultimately, how much/how many turns do I tighten it?

Thank you for any help.
DancingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

I think there is a 1/4 bolt going through the shaft and into the arm. Take the bolt out and use vise grips to wind up the spring on both sides.
I think it was 18 turns.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Just be very careful !!!! Those springs can put a big hurtin on you !
Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

I did mine not long ago. I would recommend you go to carefree web site and they have a chart that tells how many turns on each end depending on length of awning. I used that info and mine operates perfectly.
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandt View Post
I did mine not long ago. I would recommend you go to carefree web site and they have a chart that tells how many turns on each end depending on length of awning. I used that info and mine operates perfectly.
Thank you so much, based on this site I was able to complete the awning. I started with 15 cranks but it wasn't enough so I did 17 cranks and it was perfect. Thanks again!
DancingBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning