RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Need some help

I have a friend that starting living in a Coachmen Freedom Express a few months ago. She called me today because she was making toast and she lost power. I went over and checked the breakers on the panel but everything was fine. Also checked the GFCI outlet, it had no power, couldnít reset it. Could it be something on the shore panel pedestal? Also, she has 2 gray tanks, noticed one was leaking in the back and had an awful smell. I assume itís kitchen water? Her bathroom is up front and thatís where the gray and black tank valves are located. The one in the back is the one that was leaking and smelt awful. Should I just pour some dawn soap kitchen sink and let it sit for a few days? I dumped the tank when I was there . Thanks

KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

GFCI outlets can go bad and need to be replaced. But you need to get the Digital Multimeter out and start checking to see where the power stops. Do you have a generator? Or can you try a different pedestal?

If you need a replacement just get one from the hardware, nothing special about the ones in RV.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

You said that the GFCI "had no power". I assume that you mean no power coming out of it. You'll need to check the power coming to it with a multimeter. If there's power getting to the GFCI and, if other GFCI protected outlets are OK, then I'd suspect that the GFCI needs replacing. If there was an issue with the shore power coming into the rig, it should cause all the GFCIs to trip, not just this one.

With respect to the tank, what's leaking? Is it the dump valve or something else? If it's the dump valve there are a lot of Youtube videos on replacing it. Where is the smell coming from? If the smell is coming from a sink and, if it hasn't been used in a while, the water in the J trap under the sink may have evaporated. It's also possible that the vent pipe up to the roof is clogged. As far as deodorizing the tank, I don't know if Dawn is the best thing to use but I'm sure some Googling will lead you to some alternatives. Here's one of many videos on the topic of gray water tank odors:

Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

I had a 5th wheel were there were 3 GFI outlets. If I lost power in the kitchen I had to reset the GFI in the bathroom. And resetting it was always a challenge as I would not always get a solid click.

Agree with get a multi meter to debug the electric issue after you look for other GFI outlets and reset them all.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks for info guys. Just confirmed that she has no power in the RV right now except what the 12v battery operates. No air, no outlets work, fridge only works on gas. Sorry for the confusion with earlier post, wasnít sure if everything was not working
Old 09-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Look at the main breaker to make sure it is not tripped. Funny story I tell, I was listening to the radio and had one lite on. The RV park lost power. I did not know it fit about 1.5 hours because the light and radio both worked on 12v.

I went to turn on the TV when I knew there was no power.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #7

Make sure to check the breaker at the pole where she is plugged in. That has usually been the problem when we've lost power.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Tell her to trade it in.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

With no Air Conditioning, its not the GFCI. GFCIs don't control them.

GFCIs will not reset if no power to them.

You need to look for a tripped breaker in the RV breaker panel or at the shore power pole. If there isn't one there, find out where it is.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #10

start at the ped with a volt meter. Check voltage at every connection going back to the main breaker box. 50 amps = 240 volts L1 to L2. 30 amps = 120 volts line to ground/neutral.

A volt meter is like a drivers license. Every RV'er needs one.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #11

It is the power pedestal. Coming out tomorrow to fix. Thanks for the help