Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner..... got some things going on here that take up a lot of my time.
I think that metal chaser runs all the way from the bathroom to the refrigerator.... or, under the refrigerator. I have some wiring inside that cabinet under the fridge so that's probably where it goes into the chaser. That chaser area is a good 2 to 3 inches wide and pretty darned solid, too.
I did cut that down only 1/4 inch (where the wires and chaser are) but I clipped the chaser when I did my plunge cut. I didn't go deep enough to hit the wires... at least I don't think I did. I'll get a better look once I get those 2x4's and can start working on it. For now, it's just going to have to stay "as is" for a few more weeks.
Looks like I'm not going to be able to trim that wall anyway..... there's a few more screws or whatever holding the wall to the floor so it doesn't flop around during movement and I don't want to cut those out because I won't have a way to fix it and that would be a whole nother mess. I'm just going to patch what I can, remove the squeaks as best I can, throw some vapor barrier on top and then the laminate and call it a day.
That "skin" under the trailer is a vapor barrier, which has unfortunately done a great job in reverse. Not only has is prevented water vapor coming up from the ground, it has trapped that leak for years and years between the floor surface and the skin. The water could not get out so it just soaked and soaked until the luan finally gave out which means you have been basically walking around on 3/4" styro.
Because finances are so tight, it might be a few weeks before I can even go and pick up the 2/4's I want to use to box this thing in. At least I only weigh 125 lbs so it's not a big deal. If I weighed 200 lbs I might have already gone through the floor. I'm careful about where I step anyway, just in case.
I think that the bottom layer of luan is toast (beyond repair from what little I've seen). Maybe once the leak is fixed and all the upper flooring is complete it will eventually dry out but it's going to take a very long time since all that moisture is sealed in by the fiberglass skin.
Because this trailer is a 2003 the only way to properly fix it would be to remove the cabinets and walls and put down a whole new floor and it's not worth that amount of trouble to me.
Also, I live in here and I can't do it and still
live in it with everything disconnected, not to mention I don't have a place to store anything for such a project. So.... it's just going to have to stay the way it is except for my (proposed) boxing in the current area's of concern and hopefully, if I can brace all sides the way I want to, that should take all the pressure off the styrofoam and the soggy luan underneath so they would be, essentially, expendable but left in place.
I'll be sure to post photos once I get rolling on this. I'll just post them to this same thread so you guys will get an email letting you know I did something so you can follow along or give ideas/suggestions when I get there.