Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #85

Awesome!!! Will check for those nuts today!

It's a single handle faucet, I have not had it apart. (At least not yet!)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #86

Your joists are ready...sorry it took so long. I took 1/2" off each of your measurements....so they are 15.5" overall, and 12.5" to the inside notch. I tested hem & they will fit inside a 13" opening with room to slide them in diagonally.

You will have to send them out to the paint shop(side yard of your RV and a rattle can of Krylon from WallyWord) before installing.

PM me your addy and they will ship out tomorrow........

Old 04-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #87

Those look great!!! I've already PM'd you my home 20 so you can get them out. I'll pick up some paint cans tomorrow on my way home from an appt I have up "that way" and have it ready. Will I need to sand them at all first or will it help if I do?

I have drills and a spade set and I THINK they are carbide tips. Will those cut through that so I can make the holes in them for bolting them in? Or do I need a different drill/spade to do that with?

I'm not sure how big a hole I want to make to put them together with so that's why I'm asking.

I'll take a look-see today to see what kinds of nuts and bolts I have on hand that I could use and pick up any more that I might need tomorrow as well.

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #88

You just need to keep them from moving around, so some 1" self tapping sheet metal screws # 8 or 10 would be fine. Pre drill the tabs on the joists larger than the self tappers, then use an electric drill with the proper sized driver to drive them right into your main beams. (2) in each tab is plenty.

You can also use longer self tappers to attach the plywood to the joists, just drill a countersink hole in the ply first so the head will seat below the surface of the plywood(not stick up on the floor)

Tips: do not over tighten the self tappers...they will snap off, just snug them down. If the plywood sticks up because it is sitting on the heads of the self tappers, put the ply in place, smack it with a hammer right over the heads, remove ply turn it over and you will see a witness mark where the heads are. Drill a counter sink hole over that mark deep & wide enough to allow the ply to sit flush with the rest of the joist.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #89

Spade bits????...noooooo, those are for wood only so you can use them for countersinking. Regular drill bits for the metal, pick up a a couple when you get the self tappers. Btw, they look like this...see the built-in drill bit on the tip....? So you do not have to pre drill holes for them. However, if going through two sections of metal(like the tabs on the joists) you want to pre drill the first layer because these screws can be a pain to get through 2 sections of steel at the same time.)
Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #90

They shipped today...I'll pm you a tracking #. If need more, let me know...plenty of metal here.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #91

Ok, I gotcha! I know what self tapping screws are (and how they can slip and slide on metal when trying to use them to make the hole).

10-4 on the spades. I knew they were good for wood but wasn't sure about metal. Now I know! Thanks!

My bits are carbide tipped. Is that good for metal?

Did you mean one hole at each end of the joists (that's what I'm thinking)?

Countersink QUESTION: I know what countersinking IS, don't know how to DO it. That's done with a spade?

Excellent idea screwing through the plywood to the metal!!! That would fix that damned squeaky, floor and give it a nice solid base!!!!

Thanks for the metal. I'll let you know if I need more but I think that should do it... on the other paw, I need to see what I have when I rip up the floor in front of my fridge cause I might need something for that side. That'll be later..... Thanks again.

OFF TOPIC:

I recall seeing something on TV at one point.... some little "gadget" that would allow you to make countersinks or assist in proper line-up of screwing into a corner at an angle..... it's been a long, long time..... do you happen to know what that is? While I don't need it for this particular project, I would like to check it out for possible future use......
Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #92

Carbide it fine for metal. You can countersink with any bit that is just larger than the head of the screw you are trying to conceal.

Gadget,,,,Pocket Drilling Jig? like this:
Old 04-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #93

Thanks for the info about countersink, never thought of that! Which also leads me to an idea for a new invention!!!! Gonna need a bit more thought though.

The gadget in the video is a good one but a lot bigger than the one I saw on TV.... I think it was orange and it was something that (I believe) just fit in your hand. At least now I know what it's called and I can try to find it.

Thanks for the tracking number too. I'm afraid this floor is gonna go pretty soon if I don't shore it up pretty quick.

Edited to add:

Here it is! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kreg-Jig-...0?N=5yc1vZc8yf

Tags
repair