Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Need suggestions to sell trailer

I have posted an add in the classified section of the forum for my travel trailer. Think this is well priced. 750 views, but not a single email, PM, nothing.

Placed the same add on Craigslist - first week a bunch of calls, a few asked lots of questions and said they'd call back to come look. Nothing.

It's only been two weeks, so I'm not panicked. Also coming into prime time for selling RV's with spring finally sprung.

Any suggestions on my ad or other sources to post it would be appreciated, either public or private.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Hi Windcrasher:

So, just from my perspective. It seems to me you would do better if you made an effort to stage the trailer to appeal to the females. The colors are neutral, the mattress is bare, the bath has a plain white shower curtain.

Take some more pictures with as many lights on as possible. Show the entire galley, too.

Hope this helps some.

SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
How did you base the price? Check that because when I was looking for an RV this last year I would pull up many different units and after looking at the pictures I would look at the price and I knew if it was good or not and was immediately left out. Use RV trader, craigslist, pplmotorhomes.com for comparing pricing.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We sold or travel trailer using Craigslist. We also used every other RV for sale website that offered free ads that we could find...but Craigslist was the primary source for all our interested parties.

The key we found was to "stage" the RV, just like in the real estate business and you gotta have lots of really good pictures available that you can e-mail to buyers when they ask. The ad needs the best pictures you can take with inside and outside shots.

Get out the best bedding and make the bed...get out momma's good dinner wear and set-up the dining table...open all the window shades and make it look as big as possible...put matching towels in the bath...etc...just like the mfgt's websites.

Then, be ready for a string of "tire-kickers" as I came to call those that are just bored and want to see more pictures. These folks will not carry on too long, so its not a big problem.

It is no fun, but for sale by owner should get you 20-40% more than consignment and 50% more than a trade-in...that's what I got, so it was worth it for me.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
keep updating your craig's every 3 days as most don't look after the first one hundred. make sure you are at low retail as a start, if it is overpriced no matter how well it looks or has been kept , it will be hard to sell. we have sold several on craig's list and they sold to the first one or two people that came to look. also if it does not sell in about 2 weeks delete ad , wait 3-4 days and repost. if you are close enough, ppl sells on consignment and gets good prices. also post clear pictures of all rooms and outside, with everything very clean and orderly, we used the original matching spreads on the bed and other original decor items. give a good descripiton , cond. of tires, whether garage kept, any upgrades, cond. of roof, no stains or leaks if this is the case. if you have kept it in like new condition state this.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Priced right
Good presentation when someone comes to look at it
Good pictures
Don't panic as it can take awhile
If after a month, if not generating any interest, consider to lower your price as it's likely too high
Repeat the time / price drop above yet again after another month...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
You can post a classified ad on Ebay for 15.00. They allow you to put a huge amount of pics there and you get a large arena
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
I agree with what everyone has said so far I put my TT on Craigslist in Dec. just because I knew I wanted to sell it sooner than later to get my new one. I had it priced a bit high at first to see if any biters plus most people that do decide they might want it will definitely offer you less than what's posted just the natural order of things I dropped the price by 500 dollars each time and eventually after lots of questions and a few months of waiting had a couple come look and offer me 500 less than I had posted and took it. I did have pictures with angles from all inside and out and listed all specs went and found on the companies website my trailers build out and posted that as well so it would take away any questions people may have on tank sizes, weights, etc. Also posted a floor plan layout i found as well easier for people to picture them fitting in it if they can see the layout from a floor plan spec. Also the decorating is key my wife has a knack for that. Amazing how you can put up nice light pictures and people love it sold mine with the pictures still on the wall lol

Good luck don't loose hope the right person that the TT fits will come along and they will pay what you want for it Just a patient process is all.

Raven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Windcrasher - 750 views and nothing? Seem 750 views could have been a software bug in some counter.

I would have thought 5% of the views would have caused some sort of communication.

I sold two boats on consignment quickly. The 1st boat I tried to sell myself. Not 1 call. Took the boat to a dealer, raised the price and sold it in 2 days. Figure that out. Raised the price 20% and split the 20% additional with the dealer. 2nd boat went right to the dealer. He added his 10% and sold the boat in 2 weeks.

Go figure.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote