Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Need to replace Scissor Jacks

Overall I was very fortunate and have come away from Hurricane Florence with acceptable amounts of damage to my home and travel trailer. While the trailer stayed upright and water tight, the front two stabilizer jacks bent. These are the standard issue scissor jacks that came with trailer (2017 Shasta Oasis).

Over all it, looks like it should be pretty straight forward to bolt on a new set of jacks. I've looked at some threads on here and see some recommendations for going electric, not going electric, and for the BAL brand of scissor jacks.

I am leaning towards manual scissor jacks again but would be interested on suggestions for brand, style, and if I should reconsider and go with motors.
colorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd KISS (Keep it short and simple) and stick with manual jacks. You could invest in a battery powered drill with a fitting in the chuck to speed cranking the jacks. The drill would then be available for other uses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

My trailer came from the factory with light duty (aka cheap) Lippert stab jacks that literally fell apart after a few uses. I replaced them with Husky stab jacks that appear to be as well built as BAL jacks I had on my previous trailer. I have no idea how the price compares to BAL as the jacks were needed pronto but they are strong well built jacks. Mine are also motorized by using a ¾ socket on a drill.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

On my last 5'er, it didn't have back jacks, so I made a little bracket that let me slip them in place instead of a permanent mount. It got them stored inside so they are not out in the weather. They can't be dragged off or damaged during road travel, and it gave me a handy pair of jacks for use with anything else I needed. Something to think about.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #5

I should have mentioned I took your advice when I bought my trailer and got a Makita cordless for working the scissor jacks to keep with the trailer. It matches the batteries on my home set and has been helpful in other tasks at the campsite. It was great advice to add one to our kit and has been handy for operating the scissors. It certainly makes going with a beefier manual jack the primary option... but then I see guys lower their fancy electric stabilizers with a button and I wonder if the grass is greener, lol.

I'll have to look at the Husky and the BAL brand jacks. Sounds like they get thumbs up pretty frequently.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

The grass is greener until their switches get wet and corrode inside. See it all the time.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

X2 on getting a cordless drill with a socket that fits the scissors jack. Kinda turns manual Jacks into electric drill jacks.

I did this on my trailers and give this method a big thumbs up. Having a drill at the campsite comes in handy for other uses too.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

I'm sticking with the manual jacks. Ordered BAL 30". If they are as good as reviews indicate, I may swap the rear to match.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #9

Any reason you are going with 30" and not 24"? I also need to replace a scissors jack sometime. It still works but got caught on a high spot and got bent a little.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Any reason you are going with 30" and not 24"? I also need to replace a scissors jack sometime. It still works but got caught on a high spot and got bent a little.
A couple of spots I've parked in slopped away from the wheels kind like a plateau. If I hadn't put blocks under the scissors they would have been nearly straight after I used the leveling blocks on the wheels. I figured if I am going to put on new supports, I might as well put on longer ones.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

I am thinking the longer scissor jacks might stick out from the trailer. Maybe or maybe not. On my trailer I am thinking it would stick out too far.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am thinking the longer scissor jacks might stick out from the trailer. Maybe or maybe not. On my trailer I am thinking it would stick out too far.
I should have the new ones in a couple days. Once they are on, I'll take pictures so you can see if they stick out or not on my rig.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Your thinking is correct. The replacement 24" jacks I installed are slightly longer and stick out about an inch past the side of the trailer whereas the OEM jacks were recessed an inch or so. I think stability is better using blocks under the jacks than fully extending them.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, jacks, replace