Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
needing generator power...

Being a novice RV owner (18.5 ft thor rainier TT), I am in need of a generator for dry camping....

All advice is welcome.

teamleach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much and how long do you want to power the RV?

Do you just want it to charge the batteries, run a few lights and the microwave? Or do you intend to run the A/C 24/7?

Welcome to iRV2.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
I have and use a RV's choice for Portable Power - Boliy USA, Home of the Boliy Generator It has enough power output to run my 15.5K BTU heat pump, microwave, and lighting easily. It is available in pull-start or electric-start versions. The electric-start model weighs 75#, which is light enough to handle easily, and costs ~$1300, for a continuous 3 KW output.
If you do not need that much power there are many just large enough to re-charge batteries (using a stand-alone charger) for around $300-$400.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Check out the Honda generators. They sip fuel and they are quiet. I'd go for the 2KW gen as a minimum.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
The Honda 2000 is small and quiet and can be paralleled with second unit is addition power is needed
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
I have one of these...used when I had holiday trailers, and now just for back-up or if I don't want to run my on-board Onan. Yamaha Inverter EF2400iSHC Home, information

Very light, very quiet, and ran the AC on my small holiday trailers. (granted, we don't use AC very often up here...but once in a while)
Dave and Kara - Weekend Warriors 2010 Newmar Bay star 3202, Ford chassis, Ford Ranger Toad, Can Am ATV
Central Alberta, Canada
HMXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

I would like to run the A/C, and all accessories 24/7.

QUOTE=TXiceman;776221]How much and how long do you want to power the RV?

Do you just want it to charge the batteries, run a few lights and the microwave? Or do you intend to run the A/C 24/7?

Welcome to iRV2.

teamleach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
If you want the "experience" of being plugged in and able to run everything without having to wake up in the middle of the night to refill gas, etc., the 2 Hondas hooked together plus an extended run fuel tank, will give you that without sounding like you're running a megawatt lawnmower. You can get everything in a single larger model, but the physical weight of the unit goes up significantly. Some have wheels, but you still have to lift the monster into the truck bed for portability. Just something to think about.

We got ours here -- price was the best around (no sales tax outside of Illinois; free shipping):

Honda Portable generators > Great For Camping, RV, Tailgating

Extended run fuel tank under "Gas tanks and cans" (scroll down to see "6 gallon extended run fuel tank")

Honda Generator Accessories > Storage covers, spark plugs, wheel kits, parallel cables, rv adapters

These guys were great answering our questions and making sure we had everything we needed (all additional cords, plugs to run all this, etc.). Make sure you ask if you have all the accessories you need (some included; some you have to purchase separately). There are additional attachments available if you also want to be able to use these for residential use (i.e., running your house fridge when power goes out, etc.), so ask about these too if interested.

Also a good idea to get some good locking cables for added peace of mind (or to at least make them harder to walk away with for anyone trying to snatch them up). Many secure them to the trailer frame with the cable, or keep them secured in the truck bed (just make sure they have plenty of ventilation if you have a bed cover).

We are on year 4 with using these when dry camping and they work great. If you're going to, say, have your air conditioner on and someone wants to use the microwave or hairdryer, you should just run ONE of these appliances at a time (turn the AC off temporarily) so you don't trip the breaker. Ask me how I know this...

Honda is not the only game in town for quiet generators (some like Kipor, Yamaha), so you might want to compare price, features, and quietness among these. There are also other cheaper alternatives, but they are really, really loud.

Good luck! Hope this helped...

2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote