Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Thumbs down "NEW" 2 Year Old Travel Trailer

We were out visiting a local dealer looking at the new units on the lot. Discovered an unsold 2014 trailer that really appeals to my better half. She likes the interior colors, layout, kitchen setup, etc. I'm great with all of that, but I'm wondering about what can have deteriorated while it's been parked. One issue that pops in my mind is the tires. Is it likely that after 2 years of sitting, they are flat spotted? Also, sitting without covers may have caused a bit of degradation, though with as close together as the trailers are, they haven't gotten a lot of direct sun exposure.
I'm pretty sure the unit was winterized and has anti-freeze in the water system. No idea if they would redo the winterization for the second winter.
Anything else that warrants an extra close inspections?

SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Maybe ask for an extended warranty to be thrown in as part of the deal. It should but you also will want to double check the factory warranty will still apply (a quick call to the manufacturer, don't take the dealer's word).
As far as the tires go you could ask that they be balanced and if they won't balance to replace them. They're probably fine for a couple years but you might decide you want to get rid of the China bombs early anyway.

Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
You start with the roof. Caulk, seals, stuff like that.
Bring a flashlight. Open every cabinet. Look for discoloration.
Some brands don't handle the sun very well in southern states - paint, stickers.

In terms of tires, most of the OEM tires are crap anyway (we put new tires on a 1-week old RV) - so I'm not sure that those are a factor.

A bearing repack is probably in order as is a brake check.

Power it up, fill the tanks, go through a normal PDI. Could be a great deal.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
See if you can find a build date on the unit.

I bought my trailer in July of 2015 freshly delivered to the dealer from the factory - and it is titled 2016. I bought my previous trailer in May of 2013. It was built two months before - and it was titled 2013.

So, your 2014 could be six months or so newer or older than you think, which if it was winterized and moved around on the lot on occasion may not mean that much.

I would repack the wheel bearings at minimum. Sounds like a winner.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
As already said, check the roof and seams but since you are in Michigan, the UV exposure over two years shouldn't be a problem unless the factory scrimped on the lap sealant. If it were me, I'd replacce the tires with a set of Maxxis or other higher quality tires. You can either negotiate that as part of the deal. If the price is right, it could be a good deal.

Our first Sunline travel trailer was a year old "left over" and ended up being a great trailer.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
It's only two years and most of these sit outside anyway. I would expect quite a deal though.

You will have to work through the items that don't work from the factory or aren't acceptable. This is pretty normal for all new owners.
1998 Tioga Class C
400 amp/hrs solar, Trimetric
Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I would get the serial number, call the manufacture and get it in writing, that you have the same warranty as a new unit. Just a word of caution !!!

A friend of ours bought a "new" 4 or 5 model year old unit. Dealer said "O yes you have the full factory warranty", Trouble is the manufacture had gone out of business or was sold and no warranty's honored. Nothing but trouble....I'm going to repeat that again Nothing but trouble In the industry it's known as Lot Rot Water damage all over the place. Water got in the walls, rotted the floor, turned into black mold growing up the walls. All started with the roof and the caulk sitting for those 4 or 5 years. The first time I saw it we notice "delam" on the back section of the trailer. Ended up selling it about a year later (trade in). Yes, they did got 50% the MSRP, but it was a total mess.

Proceed with caution.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
If the slides were out the whole time then the seals may need to be replaced or at the very most inspected. I'd also look around for a possible water leak around the slides. Check all the caulking on the outside for cracks. Check the roof.
Not sure what you have for caps but take a look and see if they're starting to fade. Normal roof run off can look the same as fading sometimes.
Really only the outside is the main issue. But of course make sure everything works inside just like a normal walk thru.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

travel, travel trailer