Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Cool New at using a satellite Please Help!

I have purchased a Dish Network Turbo Hdtv Satellite Tripod Kit and I already have a DVR I am not using at home that is still activated. I have a Dish network subscription already.

I have read that I can take my receiver from home and just hook it up to the dish. Do I need to call and inform Dish network even if it is already activated that I am going to take it on the road Is there another fee? I am trying to save money since I already pay for it and I am not using it. Not sure what I need to do.

My daughters will be eternally grateful!

brnigrl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
If you are using your already activated receiver then I don't think there is anything else you need to do. Unless you are well out of your home service area and want to receive local tv channels (local as in the local channels where you are camping, not where your house is). All you have to do is call Dish up, choose technical support, and tell them you are using the system in a motor home and would like to change your service address so you can get local tv channels. You give them the local address you are at, and in about 10 minutes your receiver updates to local channels. When you get home you just call back and get the service address changed back to your house address.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am doing what you are wanting to do. One Dish home subscription, and I move my home Dish DVR ( Hopper 3 ) to my RV when I travel. Works great. I am using the Trav'ler rooftop HD dish system, modified for compatibility with the Hopper 3 ( it's stock configuration works with Hopper 2 and earlier vintage DVRs ).

1. Your RV Sat Dish Solution has to be set up to match what your home receiver requires.
- There is one specific setup for a Hopper 2 and a different specific setup for a Hopper 3.
- Note the Sat Dish LNBF and the Node that must be used with Hopper 3
just came out in December 2015 so chances are any Dish you buy will
have the older LNBF that works with Hopper 2 and earlier vintage DVRs.

2. If you are camping in your local area it's just move the receiver and go.

3. If you are camping away from your local area you won't get local channels unless you call Dish customer support and tell them you are in a RV and need to change your SERVICE address. ( Not your billing address. )

There are many helpful threads on IRV2 I won't repeat the additional tons of information you can find here.
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know it's OK with Direct, it's even in their TOS that use of your home receivers in an RV is allowed.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
What JonDrew said. Just that easy. If hooked to ac pedestal over nite just turn tv off at bed time and leave the receiver on so the program guide can update and then in the morn just turn the tv back on. This will prevent the 10-15 min boot up, find the sats and guide down load needed before you can watch tv in the morn. We are full time and never turn off the receiver. If you have a DVR you can record late nite movies even with the tv off. You may need a separate hard drive memory ( 6" box ) to record movies with a 211Z or 211K receiver. Dish will sell you one and there is a one time fee to sync to the receiver. Box goes in line before the receiver. It will perform all the tricks you have at home.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #6

We just purchased a wineguard G2 from amazon. I took our receiver out of box and tried to hook it up but could not get it to communicate. I might be hooking it up wrong but I am not sure. Does anyone have a wineguard G2 that can help?? We have a keystone hideout 2015 and a wineguard G2?
TrooperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by TrooperGirl View Post
We just purchased a wineguard G2 from amazon. I took our receiver out of box and tried to hook it up but could not get it to communicate. I might be hooking it up wrong but I am not sure. Does anyone have a wineguard G2 that can help?? We have a keystone hideout 2015 and a wineguard G2?

Many RVs have connection outside and inside to route your dish into your RV. However, they are often mis-labeled or confusing. When initially trying to get it to work, connect your G2 directly to the satellite receiver and the receiver directly to your TV with a HDMI Cable. Select the HDMI for input on your TV and you should see the receiver's setup screens. Once, you have it all working, then you can try the outside connections knowing it does work.

The other issue is that while your G2 is automatic, it must have a clear view of the southern sky. I use an app on my iPhone (Dish Pointer Pro) which uses the phone's camera and compass to show you what the G2 will see. This often helps in picking a position for the G2.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote