Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #1

New Camper advice

Picked up the new camper. Itís a 2014 Dutchman 282 RBS. The unloaded weight is 6,727 lbs. I am towing with a 2013 Ford F-150 Super Crew with the Eco Boost. The two hour trip home went well. I was impressed with the truck. I do have two concerns. The first is can I use my cruse control? With it on my RPMíS stayed at 1200 on flat road. On a hill it would kick in and jump up to around 1500 to 2200 depending on the hill.

Second concern is going through the mountains Virginia and West Virginia. Not sure if I have enough truck. I feel confident in dragging it around Ohio for short trips. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

We have a 26 ft TT with a 4600# DW and tow it with a 2010 Dodge !500 4.7 with a 6,000 # tow rating. Don't believe what the salesman tells you about the trucks tow rating, check the vin # with Ford. I feel we are at the max with our current setup, but it's done fine except the drop in gas milage ( 10-11 mpg ) but have had no experiencein the hills yet.
We use cruise control all the time on the interstate, tow mode and 60 to 65 mph, as long as the trans. is not shifting around looking for the right gear. If so equipped , check your trans. temps.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Does your F-150 have both the Max towing package and the separate option HD payload package (7 lug wheels indicate HD payload)? That Dutchman has max gross weight of 9600 pounds, which may exceed the trucks real towing ability.

You probably need to do a bit more research, or at least provide some of this forums more knowledgable folks more details on the truck, axle ratio, bed length, and how it is actually optioned.

Good luck!

BTW, beautiful Dutchmen TT!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

I wish I found this forum prior to making my purchase. My 2013 F-150 has the following equipment package. I hope I am not pushing or exceeding my limits.

2013 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
145” Wheelbase
Eco Boost 3.5 V
Electronic 6-SPD Auto
3.31 Ratio Regular Axle
7200# GVWR Package
Select shift Transmission
Trailer Brake Controller
Trailer Sway Control
Trailer Tow Package
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

Seabucks, 6 lugs.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm pretty much a newbie here too, but have been digging thru this forum prior to buying a truck and trailer. Started by looking at 150's, but over time migrated to something (250 or maybe a 350) bigger with the idea of getting a trailer a bit smaller (24-26' max) than your beautiful Dutchmen rig.

My "guess" is that you might really be pushing the limits of your 150. It may pull the Dutch on flat ground quite well...that EcoBoost mill is very good at that.

But the bigger question may be whether it can control the trailer safely in hilly country.

You might consider reposting your info in the thread about Tow Vehicles. Some gents over there, particularly SmokeyWren, are much mor in the know. Particularly about Ford trucks and 'real world' towing abilities...

Again, best of luck...you've come to a place with a wealth of information.

Bill

PS. What kind of hitch are you using?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #7

Thanks again SeabeckS. The hitch is a 4- Point swat Control made by Equal-i-Zer.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

"Swat control"?? Ha, ha, just kidding. I use my cruise most all the time, even on some pretty good hills. Otherwise, I keep going faster, and faster, not good pulling a TT. You need to check the rating on your particular truck, since it can be a lot different on similar vehicles due to just a couple of different options. One thing that I raised my eyebrow on is the 3.31 axle ratio. Seems a little high for serious towing. But don't listen to me, I don't know anything.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Ditto on that axle ratio ???
Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Your close to the edge. Another thing to consider is how many passangers? The curb weight of the truck will include a 150# driver. If you take weight of the truck-150 add back the weight of passangers and stuff in the truck bed add also the trailer tongue that number needs to be less than the GVWR (7200#?). Take that number and subtract it from the Truck's GCWR(1300?) and that tells ya how much trailer weight you have available.

For two years I towed a Flagstaff supper light 831 BHDS with my 2010 Ram 1500. Trailer was about 7000# dry and I have 5 passangers. Engine specs similar to your turbo v6. Truck did fine, but the RPMs were always in the 2000'+. MPG was consistant 8.7. This year I upgraded to a RAM 2500 with diesel. Mostly becasue how often I go cross country (chicago to over the Rockies) and I wanted more miles between fills. If i were to do it again I might consider a 250/2500 with gasser rather than the diesel.

I think your truck will do fine for a while (a few years) and you''ll have to watch things like carring min water etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Jugghead, I'm in the same boat, 2010 Dodge 1500 4.7 3.55 rear. Which engne and did you tow in the hills ?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #12

I have the identical truck, and pull a Jayco 28BHBE, weighing 7000lbs as delivered from the factory. It's close, but within spec. You won't want to put anything in the truck other than you and the wife or you will be over weight. Figure 800-900lbs for tongue weight, and only 1250lbs available for passengers and cargo. That means the wife plus whatever you might weigh over 150lbs and the WD hitch weight is all limited to about 300-400lbs give or take. Some like to debate that you never want to go to the limit, so only 80% of that weight and you are done. But, assume you are good there, the truck has ample power to pull that trailer. Now, I humbly yield to the experts who will tell you to get an F 350 diesel dually because otherwise you and I are a threat to everyone else on the road :-)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #13

Dan How do do in the hills ??? Trans.Temps. ??

Jim
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #14

I've not pulled it outside Ohio yet, so I can't give much testimony. On the few longer hills so far, it's been no problem at all. I previously had a 2007 F150 with the 5.4 V8 Tritan, and that one was not as much fun pulling the same trailer. It was only a 4-speed, and it really strained pulling hills. With the new truck, it barely raises the RPM's. I am headed to New York, Letchworth State Park, in July so I can share the experience after that. I still won't hit much in the way of mountains or hills, heading up I71 in Ohio and across I80 much of the way there. We will be overloaded since my kids will be with us, but we pack most of the gear in the trailer vs the pick up bed. I will be heading to the CAT scales just to double check my calculations. Best of luck!

Tags
advice