Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
New Camper.... New Truck Identity

So after much deliberation and soul searching we have decided to stay with a "bumper pull".

We bought our first camper wrongly thinking the grandkids would be going with us all the time so bunks would be handy. Then we learned that when the grandkids did come along, they wanted to "camp" in a tent.

Well anyway, along the way in our first two years and thousands of miles and many, many nights of camping we decided that what we had was okay but not the ideal rig. We developed a list of changes we would make if we could.... larger holding tanks, 80" not 74" queen, shower not tub/shower, a nicer awning, leave out the bunks, no U shaped dinette, manual overrides on the slide mechanism(s), porcelain stool, better arrangement of utilities, black tank flush, and so on. All in a unit not to exceed 30' overall length. That, so we could continue to get into all the parks we wanted.

Not seeing what we wanted in a pull behind, we looked at several 5th wheels that had all the above and more but it always seemed like the bedrooms were sort of claustrophobic. And for much more money. Plus I didn't really want to lose the storage in our pickup by going w a bed hitch.
So finally we found this outfit and it fits the best of all the units we looked at. And for a really good price.

The one downside is we have to stay with the 14" wheels. Bummer! I don't know why on a nice outfit like this, the manufacturer wouldn't go with 15" wheels to give a much greater margin of safety. Oh well. My wife thinks they won't make the "perfect" camper so they can keep us buying new ones.

One additional negative.... when I went to license the new trailer, I also was renewing the tags on my TV. So the DMV made me upgrade the tags to an 18,000 pound registration. Cost $40 more but I only received one plate which is to be displayed on the FRONT. I can see, I will be making the acquaintance of many of our "finest" as we travel the highways of our great country in the coming years. Any ideas on avoiding unnecessary traffic stops??

Anyway, got the signature updated and have to say, so far we love the new camper.

Regards to all.

2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Congrats on your new rig, I'd love to see some pictures.

Why did the manufacturer not want 15" wheels? Is there enough room for you to upgrade them yourself?

2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
If you want a bit more margin on the tires, go to a higher load rating. I'm guessing the current tires are "china bomb" types with a 'C' load rating since that seems to be the norm from the manufacturers. Upgrade to a quality 'D' rated tire and motor on!
Dan & Karen Hyravy
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71 5.3L 3:73gears Towing Package
2015 Fun Finder 265RBSS 7400GVWR
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
One additional negative.... when I went to license the new trailer, I also was renewing the tags on my TV. So the DMV made me upgrade the tags to an 18,000 pound registration.
Interesting...... What state are you in?

As long as your tag for the truck was at the manufacturers GVWR rating and your trailer tag was at its GVWR rating, you should have been good to go.

I think they chased you around the block on this one....
2011 F-250 Sooper Dooty 4x4 "Menthol"
2010 Sunset Creek 267 RL "Not Far"
(Not far sale, not far lease, not far rent, not far loan and not far from home)
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
I'm in Missouri and I have been noticing more and more heavier PUs with just a front license plate. Especially the 3500s. Also at the county park last week while camping spotted several outfits with the front plate only.

Finally, I got on line to the DVM site and found regs that support the license bureau agent. Oh well... seems strange.
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote