Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

New Head

I have a 2008 Keystone Springdale 307 FK TT. We will be keeping this until the wife retires as we don't have much time to use it. The toilet is leaking. I'm pretty sure it's the valve and the leak is so small (1 cup a weekend) it's really hard to find. I know I can just rebuild the old one but being I am 6'6" and we both have bad knees I was looking at a residential height unit. 18" would be great. I am not opposed to getting a ceramic unit, but plastic is fine as well.

Any recommendations? And where to get it? And install tips?

You guys seem to know everything in the world.
(I'm just humble so I don't say I know everything)

Thanks, Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

Most RV toilet manufacturers have several models available , Thetford , My coaches brand , has 8 . in both plastic and ceramic, 3 heights.
Just changed out my water control valve only leaked a drop or two while flushing, according to the P/N and the change up paperwork it was original to the coach, so product was built to last, as we've lived in the coach for 5>6 months a year for the past 5 years.

One of the truths , I've learned over the years , if your working on your RV; in a park in particular; there will be any number of your neighbors offer to help...until you step out the door with a toilet under your arm.

Install time should be under a 1/2 hour , unless you have to extend the water line.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

One of the truths , I've learned over the years , if your working on your RV; in a park in particular; there will be any number of your neighbors offer to help...until you step out the door with a toilet under your arm.

Install time should be under a 1/2 hour , unless you have to extend the water line.

LOL I am pretty self sufficient. A master of everything and an expert in nothing. I'd never ask for help with something I have pooed in.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Is it just leaking into the Bowl ?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

If you are looking to replace it, the first thing we did was to remove the plastic piece of crap, and but a higher porcelain john in, both the wife and i's butt is verrrrrry happy !!! Know i just need to loose some weight to make my fat as!!! fit better
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

toilet

i'm changing mine put this spring, porcelain (have that now) and higher.

to me plstic is junk.

Jim
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

This is the one that we bought, wife and I both like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Series...ilpage_o07_s03

Installation was very easy (and less stinky that I'd anticipated).
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Is it just leaking into the Bowl ?
No, puddle on the floor. It's so slow it's been hard to find. But in my world a slow leak shall turn into a flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
If you are looking to replace it, the first thing we did was to remove the plastic piece of crap, and but a higher porcelain john in, both the wife and i's butt is verrrrrry happy !!! Know i just need to loose some weight to make my fat as!!! fit better
I am aiming in that direction. I care less about the 20 lb extra weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
This is the one that we bought, wife and I both like it.
Amazon.com: Dometic 310 Series Standard Height Toilet, Bone: Automotive

Installation was very easy (and less stinky that I'd anticipated).
That and the 320 are ones I am looking at. Does the 310 also require 11" of space center of bolts to the rear wall? I'll be cutting it close. The Thetfords look like they can fit better as they only require 9" on some of them.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

It looks to me like it needs 10" to the wall instead of 11" for the 320, you can check the manual I found at Camping World to verify, so you can't blame me later for steering you wrong.

My RV is taking it easy this week out in the country, rather than being in my driveway like normal, or I'd go measure it. I guess we'll both just have to assume that the manual is correct.

http://www.campingworld.com/includes...0and%20320.pdf
Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

I like that our Thetford Aqua-magic Style II uses residential-type seat/lid (and has ceramic bowl). I plan to install a heated seat for those cold nights-
Robot Check
Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #11

Heated seat ??? Have not seen that !
Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Question-- if you switch from say thetford to dometic does this require a change to the floor/tank interface mounting plate change? Or are the black tank interface mounting plates all the same across brands.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Had no problems switching mine in two TT so far !!! Same john has been in 2 TT so far, won't part with the high rise porcelain !! Put the original one back in when i sell it .
Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #14

If you don't already have one, I suggest adding a water shutoff valve to the toilet feed line while you are into it.

Lucky I guess, so far our trailers have come with tall porcelain. One Thetford had valve problems. I would buy Dometic.